Will moving to a managed server descend the rank on Yahoo?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, our website rank is descending very serious on Yahoo. We have been listed from first page to 5~10 page on Yahoo keyword searching.
We have had at least 3~5 good keywords on Yahoo first page until last week.
All happened just in one day on last Starurday.
The situation remains and keeps worser.

We have once thought is it related to SEO issue, but we have not ever changed our scripting for at least three months.

The only event coincided with the rank descending was that we moved our site to a manged server. From OS, IP, webhosting software(form cPanel to Plesk), DNS setting, Kernel are all different to any hosting we have ever been stayed.
PHP&MySQL support might be the only same stuff.

Our main site is on our new whole sever now and gets bad ranking.
Our main forum is on our old shared server and gets ever better Yahoo ranking than our main site now.

It's a nightmare to us now for that we spend more money on a new whole server but get a very bad Yahoo ranking back.

I never meet this problem before on the previous two shareding hosting.

Now, we are rewriting our index.php page combining CSS, hope that works.

Does anyone have the same experience?
I do truly appreciate that if you are willing to share.
Or any suggestion?I very much doubt a new server would effect search engine ranking. Is this server your own, and only hosts your own website?DanIt should not... What I will say is that instead you should be looking at the sites that are now ahead of you and seeing what it is that they're doing differently.

From there you can base your choice of actions and work your way back up. If it's a highly contested term then you can bet they were looking at your site to find how you got to the top.

KGIIIchanging ips/servers seems to have no change on pagerank(google), or results location on and search engine, in my experience.Thanks for all your replies. WHT is really a good place to discuss. : )

The new server is our own. Meanwhile, we keep our forum on a shared hosting for server load issue we met before. That's the reason we buy a our own whole server, then we don't need to host our sites seperately. We planed to move all our stuff (the other 3 domains, we only host one big site and 3 very litte site) over the new server within two weeks.

However, we stopped to move the rest sites now because our main big site is facing the rank issue.

We don't want to blame our new mangaged webhosting, I believe that they can't do anything about this.
However, moving to a new own server is the only coincidence we can figure out to our Yahoo rank descending.

You all may be right, I should check what the other top rank sites are doing now.
But it really hurt for us to lose so many ad views within a week. : (

As for google, we wonder if they have ever changed their ranking?
Many related site down for couple days a week, google still gave them good ranking. Even better than us. Even we tried to write to them and showed that we have much better reputation or reference on Yahoo knowledge and much higher traffic, Google still do thing to improve our ranking.

It may be a goog news for us because the percentage of our members from Google is much much less than from Yahoo. That's why we care Yahoo more than Google and google never tried to fix their ranking anyway. Our members are from Aisa mainly. In fact, we are considering to block google bots on our robots.txt or .htaccess for that they are giving us bad ranking but sending a lot of bots everyday.

Thanks for all the suggestions here, our Yahoo ranking are still not normal. Perhaps, we need to rewrite all our pages or just change another domain or pay for overture.com.

We once thought that if overture wants us to pay for the keywords marketing fee again because we once spend some money to use overture marketing.
We have not pay for the marketing fee for nearly 6 months.

And we are sure that whether we pay for Google keyword or not, nothing change to our ranking. For we once paid some money to google as well. We think Google is not worthy for us to pay more marketing fee.

Finally, we decide to pay overture keywords again. After sending this posting, we will do it. Hope that works. After all, we can't afford so much ad view loss.

It is really the most painful month for our budget and cash flow so far.