Why is this web-design lark getting so confusing?

Humza

Ok, been learning web-design and finally got to PHP. Every thing other than the obvious is the same as JavaScript and i feel like i wasted my time learning JavaScript.<br />
Do you actually use JavaScript and PHP together and if so can i have some websites/examples please? (all i can think of is validating forms to save the server from extra work and it's better for security [although not sure if the latter is true])<br />
What about HTML DOM and PHP, do they go together?<br />
Or<br />
Should i shut up, stop getting carried away and keep learning until i work it out?<br />
<br />
Thanks in advance<br />

Sharpie

PHP is a server side technology; Java Script is a client side technology.

JavaScript and PHP are very much in use today. JavaScript is often used to verify form data before bothering the server with a request, and also for animation and other interactive effects.

DOM is also important. Basically, if you want to do web dev you need to be ready to learn new technologies and stay on top. All the technologies you have mentioned are widely used and important.

G

php is for updates, and javascript is more or less custom script that can do a variety of things.

kinda like this.
html-the basics
php-for easy updates and database connection/display.
javascript- for application use, a lot of web 2.0 sites use ajax to run desktop like application through the web. Javascript is more or less for programming and as days go by it becomes more important to know it because eventually all of these codes and languages are going to have more in common that they will be well adapted with each other as new technologies come out and uses.