What is fully managed dedicated servers

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I actually love this section, because it really bring me to the most important question. Latelty I have started providing vps and managed servers, but my problem is I never know how managed is fully managed. Do I start seting up software for clients, do I fix their server all the time, even if the client consist of making a mess of it. Where is the limit of a full managed service. I now that in shared hosting it is a lot easier, because we don't leave room for people to mess up things, and we definetly do not install new softwarae for them.The level of setup and management is up to you to define. Obviously, it's going to depend heavily on your pricing, and resources. We pretty much is willing to help a client handle everything including default scripts installations, and some simple script troubleshooting etc. But obviously if it is a major fault in the script, then that is a different question altogether. But once again, your level of service is up for you to define and communicate to your clients.ok let me ask this question in a better way. When a company says that they provide managed servers or managed vps. What would you expect out of them?any recommended companes?ok let me ask this question in a better way. When a company says that they provide managed servers or managed vps. What would you expect out of them?

I would not expect anything that is not written into an SLA or on their website. Everyone has a limit to what they call managed and the amount of time they are willing to spend. To some degree this also falls into the same "unlimited" converation that you can get into with webhosting.

The question to ask is, do you feel a company is going to spend x hours of time working on your account for $y. Fill in the blanks.

Example. Will company A really spend 15 hours working on my servers for $29? Decide if you think what they are offering is realistic and stay away from companys that lead you to believe they will do everything for a low price.I never said anything about low price, I said, that if your provide managed server, what in your opinion would be considered managed.

how about this, servint in known to be managed, how far do they go?I never said anything about low price, I said, that if your provide managed server, what in your opinion would be considered managed.

how about this, servint in known to be managed, how far do they go?

I think that they'll pretty much do anything, within reason and if it's doable within a reasonable ammount of time.Phatservers.net was nice up to now,they were doining everything from server software patches to third party install for freeok I can get more specific now, what's everything :)

it's clearly not writing scripts for you. Is it installing any software that the client wants?My host does installing any software i need,they cant guarantee but up to know they have installed everything i neededFully managed servers means different things to different companies. You can ask "what is fully managed"? But it really depends on the company. Check their SLA/TOS/AUP and contracts for details on what "fully managed" means to them.

--Tinaok let me ask this question in a better way. When a company says that they provide managed servers or managed vps. What would you expect out of them?

Personally, and this is just me, if I were shopping for a fully managed server I would expect the company to do anything to maintain the security and uptime of that server.

If a new kernel comes out, they install it. If a hard drive dies, they replace it, install the OS, restore backups, resecure server, etc. The list goes on.

Some very basic software installations would be expected, but never custom software. How can you be certain that they are even installing it properly if it is custom and they didn't design it, program it, or spend any time understanding how it works?

Of course, this is just me and opinions will vary - a lot!if it's fully managed, you wouldn't get a root login. you wouldn't need it.if it's fully managed, you wouldn't get a root login. you wouldn't need it.

Why not?

You would ask your hoster to do even the simples things which need root access (modifying httpd.conf, editing php.ini...)?

Peace,This is exactly what I'm trying to figure out there. I just can't see how a managed server company would take care of all extra installations. I would see managed is someone who bring back to the original way, when things go wrong
so that's why I'm curious

Some very basic software installations would be expected, but never custom software. How can you be certain that they are even installing it properly if it is custom and they didn't design it, program it, or spend any time understanding how it works?

Of course, this is just me and opinions will vary - a lot!Again why not? Default installations of scripts are not the most time consuming most times, and if there's a server setting that needed tweaking to make it work, who would be the best placed to do that? Yes. it's the management company. someone mentioned above that there's no unlimited which to a certain extent is true. End of the day, if it can be done within reasonable effort and time, we would have done it normally. In our contracts, we state 2 hours a month. But so far we never ever invoke that clause even though many do exceed it. Why do we have that then? It's to protect ourselves in case someone ask for something really way out of line (like coding a script for them)I think it also depends on the type of submarket you're targeting within the managed dedicated servers. For example, some low level gaming server customers may expect you to run upgrades on the game servers they're running, if that's the marketing foundation on which you offer the servers.

Some other places management is used moreso as assisted high-level tech access. The tech can go ahead and try and work you through anything on your server, but only for a pre-defined x hours/month.Phatservers.net was nice up to now,they were doining everything from server software patches to third party install for free

AT $2500/per month it should be nice.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://phatservers.net/hosting_plans/dedicated/order.html">http://phatservers.net/hosting_plans/de ... order.html</a><!-- m -->

PS-Dedicated 3

$2500/per month

Dual Xeon 2.4 GHz
HD: 146 GB SCSI
RAM: 2 GB
Up To 16 IPs Included
Transfer: 100 MBPS Unmetered
DirectAdmin CP
No Setup FeeYes its 100 mbps connection,not shared but dedicated,everything that si cheaper must be sharedThey submit a ticket/call you at 4am and you fix it
:gthumb:As vda said : )Yeouch..... That is pricey.Yeouch..... That is pricey.

This is why it is pricey:

Transfer: 100 MBPS Unmetered

It isn't because of the management, it is because it includes 100mbps of bandwidth.You can find very detailed, well documented articles to answer your questions.If I have to have a managed server, I would like not to worry about any technical matter regarding my server, because I am paying for a FULLY managed services.

Blessed.where could I find those?

You can find very detailed, well documented articles to answer your questions.if it's fully managed, you wouldn't get a root login. you wouldn't need it.

I agree with this they would not need the root access,I agree with this they would not need the root access,

Just because it's fully managed, shouldn't mean that it's forbidden to touch :) (IMHO, anyways).Managed means different things to different companies. You would have to set the limit for managed.fully managed should mean they support u with every problem and manage allWow, thats way over priced. there are servers out there which will be a lot cheaper, but for that price it must be a good server and good support ect.

Could someone tell me what a managed server and a VPS server is?

Thanks, SamYeah, if you''re a begginer i'd reccommend fully managed servers to get you startedWell in my view, a fully managed server is where the provider will completely manage all the aspects of server software, server security, server monitoring, upgrades, OS hardening, Hardware monitroring. It will also include installation of softwares.How much money can you make on this?How much money can you make on this?

How long is a piece of string?I think he will never knows

TheReturnerz
Account DisabledI actually love this section, because it really bring me to the most important question. Latelty I have started providing vps and managed servers, but my problem is I never know how managed is fully managed. Do I start seting up software for clients, do I fix their server all the time, even if the client consist of making a mess of it. Where is the limit of a full managed service. I now that in shared hosting it is a lot easier, because we don't leave room for people to mess up things, and we definetly do not install new softwarae for them.

I have a similiar thread in VPS forum:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=469715">http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=469715</a><!-- m -->

I am equally puzzled by the term "managed".

There doesn't seem to be a consensus on what "managed" really mean.Managed services come in lots of differnet levels and the choice of managment is up to what you want to provide.my only concern when looking for a managed server, is will there be anyone to manage my ddos attack when it happends???You have to look more at the datacenter's type of hardware firewall to stop dos attacks, rather than the management company. The best and only chance at stopping a real heavy attack dos attack is with a hardware firewall, some datacenters offer this.There's no standard definition for "Managed" in this industry."Fully" managed would effectively mean you (almost) don't get the root password - you just worry about the user side of things. This should be expensive, if it isn't, they won't be able to provide all they promise.I think "managed" usually means: they'll do the initial install and setup, do any security updates you need, provide occasional advice and install odds and ends for you, rescue you from any hardware failures (replace disks, reinstall, etc) or DDOS or hacker compromisesBear in mind, the quality of the "security updates" may vary widely - for instance, if you pay little you'll get little (maybe the occasional kernel update), through, regular updates of everything on the system and installation (AND configuration!! AND monitoring!) of proactive security software. I don't know, but I suspect, very few of these companies provide services at that end of the spectrum.As in almost anything else, you'll generally get what you pay for. If you check the forums you'll see people expressing great dissatisfaction with their server "management" companies - not always fairly, but there you go. A good service simply can't be provided for nothing long term.A clever company can develop some economy-of-scale (hence, "cheap but still thorough" service) through automated large-scale admin, but I don't think many of the management companies here have made that jump yet. Generally that sort of infrastructure development requires hiring very smart people, and that takes lots of dollars.