What good hosts offer a managed hosting option?

wxdqz

I've been going threw some threads here and checking out recommended hosts, but for the most part it seems like many hosts don't provide a managed solution.Can somebody recommend a good managed hosting provider?The thread that mentions my server specs can be found here: webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=607382I'm still not sure if managed it too expensive for me or not. I think I will really have a hard time making any profit if I switch to managed, but self maintained at ThePlanet, just isn't working for me right now. Their support as of late is horrid.Thanks for any recommendations.Well it depends how much management you need, It can be cheaper than you think , All depends on what you actually need.Well, for instance, I'm at the planet right now and if the cpu load goes crazy and hits super high, it just sits there. The server is up, but not serving a single website because of the server load being so high.They won't do anything about it and expect me to go in and reset mysql and any other service on the server via telnet to get the server back into running order. Stuff like that and a type of auto backup that grabs website files as well as the mysql database, which is hopefully off-site.I'm not with their managed plan because their non managed plan has been so crappy lately, that I'm pretty sure I want to get off.I may not need a managed plan from another host if they actually take care of problems I mentioned above?how much is your budget if i may ask?For the one server I'm moving I have a $280 or so budget, but I need a host that offers good bandwidth upgradability as well as good server prices all around for when I need to actually upgrade the server.You should be able to get a host that will mange your server and be proactive to monitor it for that kind of money. What kind of server specs is it?Dual 2.8 Xeon2x 80GB IDE2GB Mem2.5TB bandwidthOther than the 2.5 TB of bandwidth you shouldn't have a problem. Most host are going to offer you 1 or 1.5 TB bandwidth for that kind of money so unless you are really using that much then you should be able to get what you need. Look around the offers forums and just write the hosts and ask them if they monitor things like load and restart services for you. Any host running nagios should be able to do that for you.Dual 2.8 Xeon
2x 80GB IDE
2GB Mem
2.5TB bandwidth

for a fully managed server with those specs you should expect to pay in the 400 range. you are looking for a higher bandwidth allocation and full management.

you can get an almost fully managed shared unmetered for about 315 with those specs.

either way I dont think you will find what you are looking for in that price range - unless you pay money upfront to bring your monthly down.

those are pretty budget prices also - so when you start going lower than that you will need to be wary of what you are getting and make sure your expectations with the provider match up.for a fully managed server with those specs you should expect to pay in the 400 range. you are looking for a higher bandwidth allocation and full management.you can get an almost fully managed shared unmetered for about 315 with those specs.either way I dont think you will find what you are looking for in that price range - unless you pay money upfront to bring your monthly down.those are pretty budget prices also - so when you start going lower than that you will need to be wary of what you are getting and make sure your expectations with the provider match up.Yes I'm completely willing to pay the maximum setup fee / buydown prices to lower my monthly fees. Hell, I'd pay a $1000+ buydown if I knew it would cut down my monthly fee a decent amount.This is just what ThePlanet is giving me at roughly this price, they just lack support and give me server problems up the wazoo.Do you really need that much bandwidth? If not, you can find a decent deal within your budget. 1000 - 1500 GB is normally what is offered.--TinaHey,

I would just like to say that there are many dedicated server companies out there and they are many managed, but the question is what kind of service are you looking for, there are many services you can get..

here is a list of campanies that i have dealt with in the past...

1. managed.com - they have a problem with not just customer relations but there up time id about at 75% and they dont deal with any problems like we would all like them to...

2. CIHOST - they had some good offers and they are polite towards everyone "BUT" they have too many servers running off 1 connection and try and tell you that its the software you are using and its for you to resolve the issue and not them but there servers lagg really bad, plus there up time is about 90% of the time and if there network goes down they will explain to you the problem they are having but will not refund you for the time you have to deal with them resolving your down time, Oh and they make you sign a 1 year contract to make you stay with them and they say you have to give them 30 days notice but when you do they tell you that you have to pay a cancelation fee aswell ONLY when you want to cancel and not b4...

Would you really like me to go on? cos i can and i can go on about many server company's but it is unfair to put too many company's down but i will give you a list of company's that i can say that i know that treat there customers pretty good..

AYKSolutions.com - They have been 1 of the only servers company's that i can say i trust and i have been dealing with them for just over a jear now and i can say none of my servers have lagged and i have never had any down time and every time i have contacted them they have treated me very well and they are a company that i will always recommend...

<<snipped>>Do you really need that much bandwidth? If not, you can find a decent deal within your budget. 1000 - 1500 GB is normally what is offered.--TinaUnfortunantly... or fortunantly depending on how you look at it, I do. I have one site doing 3.5TB of bandwidth a month and four others that I'm gearing up to begin sharing media content. They could easily grow much larger than than the one site doing 3.5 TB.I'm just glad I'm learning a bunch that is going to make it easier to push the content with these hosts that are far better then where I am now.Sadly then you are going to have to raise your budget quite a bit to get a quality provider and that much bandwidth together.2.5 TB banwidth transfer a month avg 250Mb /s
that will cost you about $2250/month2.5 TB banwidth transfer a month avg 250Mb /s
that will cost you about $2250/month

my mistake its about 9Mb/s
20 Mbps Commitment (Overages $10.00 per 95th Mbps) $200.00/month
Or
20Mb/s Unmetered Port for 250.00/monthmy mistake its about 9Mb/s 20 Mbps Commitment (Overages $10.00 per 95th Mbps) $200.00/monthOr 20Mb/s Unmetered Port for 250.00/monthRight now we're paying roughly $260 for each of our two servers at ThePlanet. Needless to say, we're paying too much for the lack of support which we need. we've shopped around and while Softlayer would be nice, it's far too expensive for how earlier we are in development on our projects. We've decided to go with NetDepot and take full advantage of their buydowns on the servers and on any hardware we can. We will end up paying $1000 or so for server parts with the buydown, but in the end our monthly cost will only be a few hundred.Well, for instance, I'm at the planet right now and if the cpu load goes crazy and hits super high, it just sits there. The server is up, but not serving a single website because of the server load being so high.

Well, before doing anything, you should investigate why this is happening. Sounds like a runaway mySQL query.

They won't do anything about it and expect me to go in and reset mysql and any other service on the server via telnet to get the server back into running order.

I realize that resetting mysql via SSH is nearly impossible while the CPU is 100%, but you've first got to figure out what your problem is before proceeding with any other course of action.

I may not need a managed plan from another host if they actually take care of problems I mentioned above?

Seems to me that the onus is on you at this point. The CPU doesn't just go crazy for no reason - and more than likely it's something to do with your scripts. You should check out your cron jobs for runaway scripts/queries. If you don't do this before changing providers you'll just end up with the same mess and just end up aggravating your new provider.
(Umm, believe me, I know :( )

I hope this helps.