VPS Management

admin

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of demand is there right now for proactively managed VPSs and dedicated servers? Also, defind proactively managed. Security, cPanel updates, what else would you look for?

I'm looking to provide solid services out there, but I'm trying to see if I have all my ends covered before I go through with it.

Please help me fill in the gaps.

Thanks guys.

RegardsThere's definitely demand for it. A lot of customers don't know how to manage VPS or Dedicated, especially if they are coming from Shared hosting.Pro-active to me is that you are constantly scanning vps for any vulnerabilities, automatically, without intervention from client, are performing upgrades, security updates, etc. You would do anything you would do on your own personal vps, but on behalf of the client.The only requested support from the client would be for problems, fixes, how-tos, and perhaps software installs.Or may be a request or two to rollback an upgrade that broke some outdated script.So other than security and cPanel updates, there's nothing else to be proactive on? There has to be something else that needs to be proactive.

ThanksWell there is no strict definition on "Managed". It may vary from basic management and monitoring to full management of the software and OS. I can not define "pro-active" very precisely but it is not basic management service.Well there is no strict definition on "Managed". It may vary from basic management and monitoring to full management of the software and OS. I can not define "pro-active" very precisely but it is not basic management service.Typically the way proactive is defined (and also how we define it):- Initial install and configuration- Monitoring- Auto service restart- Hardening/Firewall- Auto patch management- Backups (which I've seen as optional in some cases)Typically the way proactive is defined (and also how we define it):- Initial install and configuration- Monitoring- Auto service restart- Hardening/Firewall- Auto patch management- Backups (which I've seen as optional in some cases)As an addition to that, pro-active in my opinion also means that you monitor the servers (VPS and host machines) intently enough to detect possible bottle-necks well in advance. Sometimes customers' requirements grow very slowly, hence their hosters could detect problems, if they occasionally had a look on the monitoring graphs (given they had any). As a hands-on administrator, I often run into situations where I cannot do much but suggesting my customers to migrate to a "bigger" VPS or a dedicated machine before adding the requested services/features whatsoever.Surprisingly enough, what some webhosts consider a monitoring. In my opinion, it is definitely not enough to monitor uptime of services. A comprehensive monitoring also keeps a close look on runtime data.Just my 2 cents/pence :)EDIT: I sort of disagree to "AUTO SERVICE-RESTART". There's always a reason why services fail. As long as you did not figure out why a service crashed, you do not want to automatically bring them back on track.CheersCarstenIMHO, it also depends on the level of control your customers would like to have e.g. full vs para virtualistion.best,