VPS and Dedicated resources....

Uplinieloke

Hello,
Does your resources on VPS and dedicated have any difference?
For example, if Iam on VPS and using 2GB ram and now i decided to upgrade to dedicated server....Is 2GB ram better on dedicated than on VPS? or it is same in dedicated and VPS?
i,e: do I need to increase the ram in the dedicated server if it was not sufficient on the current VPS? Or there will be a difference and it will be enough on dedicated server?

Thanks If someone was overselling it, yes, it might make a difference. But dedicated servers have some other advantages then RAM, that is:

* You're the only one that's using the HDD, since HDD's are a big trouble if there are more VPS users on one server
* You're the only one using the internet connection
* You're the only one using the CPU(s)

RAM would work faster though, but if your applications take more then 2GB of RAM, then 2GB is not sufficient. @ Rome i can agree about the hdd and the cpu criteria but RAM is two types guaranteed and burst-able. Guaranteed RAM is guaranteed to the vps owner while burstable RAM is shared among all the users of the server. If it's Xen then not. OpenVZ it's not the same as real Dedicated.

But if you go with a host that doesn't oversell, you will get the same results. Well I assume he had his own 2GB of RAM, that's what he said Quote: Originally Posted by DoctorX Hello,
Does your resources on VPS and dedicated have any difference?
For example, if Iam on VPS and using 2GB ram and now i decided to upgrade to dedicated server....Is 2GB ram better on dedicated than on VPS? or it is same in dedicated and VPS?
i,e: do I need to increase the ram in the dedicated server if it was not sufficient on the current VPS? Or there will be a difference and it will be enough on dedicated server?

Thanks If you are sure you are using guaranteed 2GB RAM on your VPS and it wasn't enough, then you should have more than 2GB on your Dedicated server.

If you are not sure if the RAM was guaranteed OR burstable, then it is possible the host is overselling and other VPSs are using more resources than allotted thus causing problems to your VPS. The disk I/O also plays a major part when it comes to VPS. With dedicated server, everything is yours and that makes a difference too. So in such a case, get a 2GB dedicated server and upgrade RAM when required. Hello guys,
Thank you for your replies.
Previously, I was using Linode.com VPS (768MB ram) which was enough for me.
But after changing the webhost, I have found that i need about 2GB to run my website! and this is because overselling, isn't it?
So I decided to get a dedicated server because i thought that I will use much less ram than now.
I don't now, I may take one month to test my actual need.
Your Xen VPS will use more RAM than OpenVZ one. OpenVZ runs a shared kernel, means kernel caching is done on the Node side. In other words, your OpenVZ VPS will use less RAM. Quote: Originally Posted by DoctorX Hello guys,
Thank you for your replies.
Previously, I was using Linode.com VPS (768MB ram) which was enough for me.
But after changing the webhost, I have found that i need about 2GB to run my website! and this is because overselling, isn't it?
So I decided to get a dedicated server because i thought that I will use much less ram than now.
I don't now, I may take one month to test my actual need.
If you don't have any specific connection requirements (aka you can live by sharing a line with a few more ppl) then get a VPS with dedicated 2-3 GB RAM and dedicated HDD (this is pretty important to avoid I/O issues). The performance will be close to a dedicated one without paying the extra money for the dedicated bandwidth. If your one website takes 2GB of RAM, I think there is another thing you could do.

When sites use so much memory, you need to start tweaking servers. Especially MySQL one, since it consumes most of the RAM memory. Switching from apache to nginx is a good idea too.

By the way, I was using a linode VPS for more then 2 years, they're really good at their services, and they don't oversell. They're really unique.