UK servers with superb connectivity?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking at managed/semi-managed dedicated server options, but connectivity is absolutely vital.

This means downtime must be industry minimum and connectivity in general must be close to 100%, 100% of the time.

At present I've got a dedicated which is otherwise great, but every now and then there's like a 10 second pause where the network doesn't connect, which is completely unsuitable.

I guess I could be talking about mission-critical hosting here. :)

Any pointers?

I know Rackspace is often recommended, but the lack of transparency on pricing really puts me off.I know they have a lack of transparancy, but have a chat with Rackspace, they arnt so bad price wise, and they tailor their solutions to your exact requirements.

They are the only company in the UK I know that will offer you a great managed service and really good uptime around the 100% level (i dont consider 99.9% to be around the 100% level).

Beware, most UK providers are not as managed as they make out and their networks are notorious for spikes in my own experience.

Good luck!

:)Thanks for the reply - Rackspace are certainly on my radar.I know there's no room for self-promotion on WHT, but any further info on best connected datacenters and carriers will allow me to track down additional hosting options as well. I figure choice is good. :)You should probably look for someone who offers an SLA on their network, with monetary guarantees to back it up, there's lots of people out there with a 100% uptime SLA, but you can bet your money they won't pay out when things go wrong.In terms of actual management what application is it you're running, and what kind of management level do you require? Do you require an SLA on keeping the application online (rather than just the server)?There are many smaller companies out there that can do just as good a job as RackSpace, but be aware that managed hosting is a very customised industry, and usually when you don't see pricing on websites that's a good thing.DanThanks for the reply - Rackspace are certainly on my radar.

I know there's no room for self-promotion on WHT, but any further info on best connected datacenters and carriers will allow me to track down additional hosting options as well.

I figure choice is good. :)
London based DC - ie redbus and iphouse seem to offer the quickest EU and UK speeds . There is a great forum called forum2 that may be able to help you with quotes etc.Redbus arnt reliable to say the least, they have suffered from countless power outages over the last year or two.

:)Dan @ RazorBlue offers exceptional service in the UK. Their support is awesome. I needed a reboot this morning, was all done within 3 minutes.I know their network in the UK is very solid and offers great performance. You can't go wrong with them.A few of our customers use UK2.net Communicating with their support is always been a good experience.. and the network seems quite nice as well.A few of our customers use UK2.net

Communicating with their support is always been a good experience.. and the network seems quite nice as well.

UK2 aren't a managed services proviider??

DanI'm not sure if they offer managed servers or not. I thought they did... the techs usually don't complain like other "unmanaged" providers lol.London based DC - ie redbus and iphouse seem to offer the quickest EU and UK speeds . There is a great forum called forum2 that may be able to help you with quotes etc.

I'm not sure IPHouse are the most robust solution, if you needed someone in front of a server.....quick.

The access is poor at best.I know Rackspace is often recommended

By people who actually use them for something
or just those that get bombarded by the adverts and spams saying the trademarked "fanatical" support line ?

I've met people who dont even have a server talking about how reliable rackspace are at industry events - its an effect of the branding and advertising, not *necessarily* related to the actual service.

Servers@ RSpace most certainly do not get 100% uptime, their *network* might, but the same *should* be said of anyone managing their network properly.Hi Brian,

gyron.net provides 100% network uptime SLA, so you may want to check them.

kualo.co.uk provides managed servers from iP House data center.

Regards.Normal advice applies - go for a provider with their own network, in a good datacentre, with staff either onsite or close by. Investigate financial stability and ownership of the company, ask for references for current customers.I do belive you have a review of Clook, so why not use Clook since they use gyron.net.

I do see according to the Clook site they are sold out however maybe you should contact(worth a try).

As for Rackspace, I use Rackspace and well they are good, however for what you are paying they are not worth it at all. Neither do they take priority in updating, for a start the 2.6 PRCTL kernel exploit released how many months ago? Was only just upgraded less than a week ago.

You can be waiting up to 8 months in general for a critical patch to be applied, along with fact that before I moved most things away from Rackspace almost all installations were of old EOL distros. So save the money since you can get so much better.

-Scott