Superb Hosting - How do they do it?

wxdqz

I've been using Superb for 2 years now, going on to my 3rd. Just renewed a few days a go. I must say their service is pretty reliable and the support is not bad either. How do they offer so much space and bandwidth without slowing my website down or knocking it down for a long time, or the servers?They probably oversell, but they manage it well, a lot of hosts oversell, very few can keep it under control.There are lot of hosts are reialble out there but ovs you picked a good hosting server.You should be well happy. ones i have been we in pass some times are not reiable.No, don't get me wrong I am happy :) I was just curious because most hosts who oversell are small hosts usually on resellers who don't know what they're doing.No, don't get me wrong I am happy :)

I was just curious because most hosts who oversell are small hosts usually on resellers who don't know what they're doing.

Not really, those are just the ones you hear about more because the others manage it well and don't have as many complaining customers.I personally would not feel comfortable buying from a host that oversells, who knows what would happen to my data. And like I could fill up 100 gb of storage anyways without breaking their tos agreements.Probably they must be having nice management and control over hosting so they must be providing superherb hosting to customersAlmost every second web host is over selling in one form or another. Superb is quite reputed name in web hosting world and I've not doubt that they're not overselling like every other host but they're managing it pretty well unlike small hosting companies.

Blessed.I personally would not feel comfortable buying from a host that oversells, who knows what would happen to my data. And like I could fill up 100 gb of storage anyways without breaking their tos agreements.Well, what's your definition of overselling?The only reason I ask is that I see a lot of posters here on WHT who say the same thing, but they usually tend to be hosts or employees of hosts. Most hosts oversell in one way or another. Some offer large amounts of storage and bandwidth while others may have more clients on a server than the server can physically support. By "more clients than the server can physically support" I mean that they have say 25 clients using "Shared Plan XYZ" which offers 10GB of storage, but the server only has an 80GB hard drive. Like most clients, those 25 aren't using all of their resources so you can add more clients to the server as long as CPU usage and loads aren't maxed out. In my opinion there isn't anything wrong with this type of "overselling" as long as server loads aren't high and the server is running smoothly. From my experience most hosts I know use this type of "overselling".I do agree that hosts who offer huge amounts of storage and bandwidth can be misleading because they usually limit users with CPU usage and connections. That being said, I know many users with static HTML pages, non-database driven website, and personal websites that are very happy at these types of hosts. Not too long ago (1 week or so) I saw a post about DreamHost and how a few users were using a good portion, if not all, of their resources they were allocated. I would assume DreamHost is one of these "overselling" hosts that you are referring to, ClutchHost, but I was surprised to see in this thread a few different users who have been able to use their WHOLE amount of storage and upwards of 1TB of bandwidth. Now, I did see a few posts where people had to wait a few days for DreamHost to install additional hard drives before they were able to upload more content, but for the price most of them are paying they didn't seem to mind. Ok, I got a bit side tracked; The short answer to your question, StuffRadio, is that they manage it very well. I would assume that they closely monitor their server loads, CPU usage, etc., and add new servers as needed. This is a pretty common thing these days, and if done right, can work very well for both clients and the host.Ok, I got a bit side tracked; The short answer to your question, StuffRadio, is that they manage it very well. I would assume that they closely monitor their server loads, CPU usage, etc., and add new servers as needed. This is a pretty common thing these days, and if done right, can work very well for both clients and the host.

There is a big difference between "overselling" disk space when you are able to plop another hard drive in to accomodate people and jamming 150 users with 20gb of space and 2tb of bandwidth onto a single server. That is plain reckless (no server can support that amount of bandwidth, even if you had huge hard drives). Sadly, that is what many hosts are doing, big and small, and the customer ends up being misled. I agree that most customers won't ever use that much resources, so rather than bloat your services to "stay competitive", why don't you educate your customers and tell them that they dont need that much bandwidth. I know that the concept is lost on most hosts these days, but an educated consumer is your best customer.I agree that most customers won't ever use that much resources, so rather than bloat your services to "stay competitive", why don't you educate your customers and tell them that they dont need that much bandwidth. I know that the concept is lost on most hosts these days, but an educated consumer is your best customer.I wholeheartedly agree with you. If only educating the consumers were that easy :)Except it really is. Sorry to completely hijack this thread for a moment, but what I'm talking about is as simple as asking what website they are going to be hosting, and help them choose a plan that isn't too much but isn't too little either. You don't have to make them understand what bandwidth is, just tell them what they need. As opposed to just about every other business, the hosting industry (collectively) puts very little effort into sales.Except it really is. Sorry to completely hijack this thread for a moment, but what I'm talking about is as simple as asking what website they are going to be hosting, and help them choose a plan that isn't too much but isn't too little either. You don't have to make them understand what bandwidth is, just tell them what they need. As opposed to just about every other business, the hosting industry (collectively) puts very little effort into sales.From my experience it isn't that easy. A lot of customers I've dealt with over the years are a bit weary of doing business on the internet in the first place. The experienced webmasters are great and know what they are doing, so you don't need to educate them; they know what they need and they know from experience. The others are a lot harder to win over. I can make a sales pitch at them all day long about why they don't need 100GB of storage space and 10tb of data transfer, but when it comes down to it they think I'm just trying to make a sale. In our "bargain based" society some customers think I'm trying to screw them over because I'm offering a package with a fraction of the resources for more money compared to the "oversellers". In my opinion, this is why you see so many newer customers who are upset and complain about companies offering huge amounts of storage and bandwidth. These newer or less experienced customers are caught off-guard when their site(s) get suspended or terminated. I've said it before and I will say it again; there are MANY websites that can operate just fine at these "overselling" hosts. There are many happy customers from these very companies who post here on WHT and many of whom have posted positive reviews. I agree that these hosts can give uneducated and unexperienced customers a skewed view of the industry as a whole, but I feel like it's irresponsible to bash these hosts in all spectrum's and act like they don't have ANY happy customers. They are still in business for a reason and until I no longer see ANY positive reviews I'm going to stand firm.I apologize for hijacking this thread and this will be my last post since we have gotten so off topic. JCooter - Please feel free to PM if you want to continue this discussion so we don't hijack his thread any further :)It's ok RackZen.. I forgive you for hijacking :). I didn't join Superb because of the overly large amounts of space/bandwidth. I barely just hit 1 GB of space taken up. Had to back up some files, I also have some larger files on there. Nothing illegal... however I don't need it all. I received the extra space after being there for 2 years. I was happy before with my 1 GB space, and 50 GB bandwidth I think it was.