still can't quite decide, canon xsi vs 40d?

cheap_laffs

A clerk at the photo shop finally got frustrated with me and let me take both cameras for a more serious "test drive" in the parking lot, the shop, back of the shop. )<br />
Lo and behold the two produce very similar image quality. And speed is no longer a deciding issue, the 40D is not as fast as advertised. (faster than the XSi, but nothing that will affect my area of shooting).<br />
So once again, I'm stuck. Sorta....<br />
I'm really leaning towards the 40D, it does have the slightest edge on the Rebel with IQ, higher ISO and a few extra features.<br />
On the other hand the Rebel was excellent and I'm thinking it will do wonders with the right lenses.<br />
<br />
So I'm wondering, what would you do if you were a budding digi photographer on a budget(I've sold some prints off film, but have not worked with digi). Get the XSi and some nice glass OR get the 40D kit (comes with a EF 28-135 lens) and stay patient till you can afford a higher end lens or two to compliment the camera?<br />
<br />
<br />
TIA<br />

DavidM

I would go with the XSi and some nice lenses. In a few years when both cameras would be obsolete you can upgrade to the 50D or what ever comes next. You will still have some quality lenses. The most important thing is always the lens so if your on a budget always go with better lenses over the camera body.

hipp5

You're right, both cameras will take pretty much the same images.
The 40D does have the advantage when it comes to low-light situations though. The 40D also has a few features that make its use easier (i.e. the top info LCD) and has better build quality.

The XSi wins when it comes to size and price.

In this case, I'd say go with the XSi. As much as I love my 30D, if you're on a budget it'll be better to get the XSi and some good lenses. Once you've built up a good collection of lenses and are comfortable with SLRs you could think about splurging on a 40D (or probably its successor).