Softlayer + PSM?

webmasterbeta

I want to use servers of Softlayer and administration of Platinum Server Management for my company of hosting. is a good combination?I want to offer hosting with Centos / cPanel and I want to know if these companies will allow me to offer hosting without problem.Finally, they know if PSM could install and configure Ruby on Rails in a server with cpanel?Thanks.Finally, they know if PSM could install and configure Ruby on Rails in a server with cpanel?

hm.... y not contact psm directly and ask them?

as far as i know they do but you should still ask them directly

anyway, ive used layeredtech and platinumservermanagement for a long time and they are excellent, i just bought a server from softlayer and they seem fine tooWe've been using PSM for over a year and very highly recommend them for your server management. As for Ruby on Rails, I think they do just about anything if asked (server management that is ;) ) but you really should ask them so you can be certain.They install Ruby without problem- In general how long they take to respond ticket in PSM?They know if they optimize well Mysql, Apache, etc? Because the company that use at the moment (liquidweb) does not do it very well.I agree with the above. You really should ask them directly. However I have been using PSM for years and would never go anywhere else. They've gone above and beyond the call of duty for me many MANY times! Their average response time for me is normally minutes for initial response but resolution of the problem depends on many factors such as how complex the problem is. Good luck, you can't go wrong with PSM!We have been with PSM for over 3 years now, and will not concider any other company for our servers support. We recently also have leased a dedicated server via PSM and could be much happier. We are now concidering upgrading one of our other servers and migrating to PSM. Try them, you wont be disapointed.They install Ruby without problem- In general how long they take to respond ticket in PSM?

They know if they optimize well Mysql, Apache, etc? Because the company that use at the moment (liquidweb) does not do it very well.

Dixtech1,
I am troubled by your comment. Can you please tell me a little more about this? I want to look into it immediately.

You can email me or private message me at any time.
travis (at) liquidweb . comWe have been with PSM for over 3 years now, and will not concider any other company for our servers support. We recently also have leased a dedicated server via PSM and could be much happier. We are now concidering upgrading one of our other servers and migrating to PSM. Try them, you wont be disapointed.So now PSM resells servers? I didn't see that in their site... please tell us how you did this. PSM only manages servers with CPanel, that's why I find SeeksAdmin attractive, because they can manage any server regardless of panel, and would even manage a server without one, which is great if you don't offer hosting and only have a few sites. SeeksAdmin is also $25, less than PSM charges.We recently also have leased a dedicated server via PSM and could be much happier.

So now PSM resells servers? I didn't see that in their site... please tell us how you did this.

We do not sell servers. Many dedicated server providers package our service with their servers and sell them as fully managed with PSM. This is what he must have been referring to.We do not sell servers. Many dedicated server providers package our service with their servers and sell them as fully managed with PSM. This is what he must have been referring to.

Just a question. Are you still affiliated or own <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://coastinc.com/">http://coastinc.com/</a><!-- m --> ? If so the dedicated servers link points to <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.serverbasement.com/">http://www.serverbasement.com/</a><!-- m --> is that yours?

Just curiousJust a question. Are you still affiliated or own <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://coastinc.com/">http://coastinc.com/</a><!-- m --> ? If so the dedicated servers link points to <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.serverbasement.com/">http://www.serverbasement.com/</a><!-- m --> is that yours?

Just curious

Both domains share the same address for their whois information. More clarification from them would be good.
How do you view this Steven?
bonesJust a question. Are you still affiliated or own <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://coastinc.com/">http://coastinc.com/</a><!-- m --> ? If so the dedicated servers link points to <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.serverbasement.com/">http://www.serverbasement.com/</a><!-- m --> is that yours?Just curiousThat have to be. i am with PSM, and my bank statement shows Coast Internet Sol 000-0000000 NJJust a question. Are you still affiliated or own <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://coastinc.com/">http://coastinc.com/</a><!-- m --> ? If so the dedicated servers link points to <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.serverbasement.com/">http://www.serverbasement.com/</a><!-- m --> is that yours?

Just curious
Hi Steven,

- Not sure of their present status -

I was customer of PSM, Coast INc and Server Basement, they are all basically owned and operated by the same people which should be Ethan.

I guess they are incorporated separate and Ethan tries to keep them separate I believe to avoid Coast Inc jeopardize the reputation of PSM.We do not sell servers. .
Much like you "don't sell hosting", right? That's yet another flat out lie.
How does one get this information? Welcome to the WWW

Firstly, let's start with serverbasement, a dedicated server shop
This is owned by coastinc . Public DNS and whois records show the same address, P.O. box, etc, so it's clearly the same

Coastinc owns the domain xyzdns.com and xyzdns.net . Again, publically available information.

Now, if you do a traceroute to platinumservermanagement, this results in:

traceroute to platinumservermanagement.com (63.247.64.242), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
1 208.101.41.97-static.reverse.softlayer.com (208.101.41.97) 1.591 ms 0.521 ms 0.514 ms
2 cer01-v51.da01.softlayer.com (66.228.119.225) 0.519 ms 0.519 ms 0.515 ms
3 xe-4-3.r03.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (157.238.228.9) 1.017 ms 0.519 ms 0.513 ms
4 xe-2-0-0.r21.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (129.250.3.225) 0.522 ms 0.517 ms 0.513 ms
5 t8-3.mpd01.dfw03.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.11.193) 0.519 ms 0.517 ms 0.514 ms
6 t4-2.mpd01.dfw01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.6.65) 27.517 ms 91.979 ms 1.441 ms
7 p13-0.core01.dfw01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.2.21) 1.242 ms 1.137 ms 1.077 ms
8 p13-0.core01.iah01.atlas.cogentco.com (66.28.4.98) 6.158 ms 6.095 ms 6.139 ms
9 p3-0.core01.atl01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.5.90) 107.571 ms 49.966 ms 58.144 ms
10 g0-1.na21.b019158-0.atl01.atlas.cogentco.com (66.250.8.238) 41.821 ms 41.893 ms 41.621 ms
11 38.112.2.114 (38.112.2.114) 41.556 ms 41.779 ms 41.574 ms
12 209.51.130.245 (209.51.130.245) 28.909 ms 28.949 ms 28.870 ms
13 65.254.43.33 (65.254.43.33) 29.032 ms 29.065 ms 29.229 ms
14 209.51.149.109 (209.51.149.109) 29.125 ms 29.086 ms 28.917 ms
15 l3-atl-7.gnax.net (209.51.131.62) 29.448 ms 32.998 ms 29.309 ms
16 hq.xyzdns.net (63.247.64.242) 29.183 ms 29.174 ms 29.209 ms

It's quite unethical to LIE about providing services in a set environment on your website, AND in a public forum. Your website states "we do not offer shared hosting". Clearly a lie. Your statement above states "we do not offer dedicated hosting". Again, clearly a lieEven if the same person owns a server management company and a server providing company, they are 2 separate businesses, so legally, PSM does not offer servers. They are run as 2 distinct businesses. They don't even try to combine the 2. I use their management services (PSM), and also use a server from their other business (Coastinc), and they are handled as 2 separate businesses.I have 2 separate businesses as well, hosting and photography, but my hosting business does not sell cameras. Photography has been used for web design jobs, but then it is treated as 2 different services and billed accordingly.Ethan offers both, but PSM does not offer servers.Just because they're run as separate names doesn't mean anything except for the fact that they are run as separate names. They're billed under the same company, the funds go to the same bank, etc, so they're effectively one and the same company.Just because they're run as separate names doesn't mean anything except for the fact that they are run as separate names. They're billed under the same company, the funds go to the same bank, etc, so they're effectively one and the same company.
Plus the server management of Coast Inc is handle by PSM same for server basement, basically they are all run but the same techs.Plus the server management of Coast Inc is handle by PSM same for server basement, basically they are all run but the same techs.
duhhhhh, the coast int web site clearly sais support by psm, so obviously the tech support is provided by psm

anyway
i think we all lost sight of something here ,this post is about using softlayer+psm, the OP was asking the quality of the service and combination.

i have no idea nor do i care how this got off an a tangent, but this thread is a huge waste of time.. not only did it not answer the OP's original question! but it means nothing whether or not psm sells servers. their site doesnt offer it so as far as they are concerned, they do not sell servers.

taco bell is owned by the same company as coca-cola, does that mean coca-cola sells tacos?! lol
if you call coca-cola and ask can i buy a taco, they'll say they don't sell tacos, does that mean they are lieing?! NO! because they are separate companies

but back to psm, even if they do sell servers, what does that change? psm is still an great support provider and back to the original question i do strongly recommend softlayer and psm. i think softlayer is one of the best server providers

as for you linux-tech, i dont know where or how you get off thinking you discovered a new planet or something, but ive never seen such unprofessionalism when a competitor publicly insults their competition. shame on you.duhhhhh, the coast int web site clearly sais support by psm, so obviously the tech support is provided by psm

anyway
i think we all lost sight of something here ,this post is about using softlayer+psm, the OP was asking the quality of the service and combination.

i have no idea nor do i care how this got off an a tangent, but this thread is a huge waste of time.. not only did it not answer the OP's original question! but it means nothing whether or not psm sells servers. their site doesnt offer it so as far as they are concerned, they do not sell servers.

taco bell is owned by the same company as coca-cola, does that mean coca-cola sells tacos?! lol
if you call coca-cola and ask can i buy a taco, they'll say they don't sell tacos, does that mean they are lieing?! NO! because they are separate companies

but back to psm, even if they do sell servers, what does that change? psm is still an great support provider and back to the original question i do strongly recommend softlayer and psm. i think softlayer is one of the best server providers

as for you linux-tech, i dont know where or how you get off thinking you discovered a new planet or something, but ive never seen such unprofessionalism when a competitor publicly insults their competition. shame on you.

Tacobells credit card receipt does not state coca-cola :)I couldn't see any problem for a server management company sell dedicated server or selling cows. :pimp:But, its not less than a kiddish activity doing by PSM hiding those facts and try to outshine other companies that do the same business.Appears to be really phishy.:homer:taco bell is owned by the same company as coca-cola, does that mean coca-cola sells tacos?! lolif you call coca-cola and ask can i buy a taco, they'll say they don't sell tacos, does that mean they are lieing?! NO! because they are separate companiesYou are trying to compare two entirely different business tactics... something like comparing a rabbit with a deer ... :deer:pSM claims one of the FACTS that should chose them is "we do not compete with our own customers!" whereas, Coco-cola never say that not selling tacos is their plus point.PSM claims one of the FACTS that should chose them is "we do not compete with our own customers!"

Exactly the point. Misleading business tactics all around there.I believe what they were referring to is that PSM does not sell dedicated servers as it is a separate entity entirely. The owner of PSM might have a few other properties out there, but still does mean that PSM has anything to do with the actual selling of those servers - I think they only manage them as part of the features included.I believe what they were referring to is that PSM does not sell dedicated servers as it is a separate entity entirely.

No it's not
If it was a separate entity entirely, it wouldn't be billed by the same company that bills for the others, it wouldn't be run by the same person @ the head, and all the money wouldn't go to the same bank account.

PSM is a division of Coast Inc, yes, but that does not make it a separate entity.
The only thing the staff at PSM is trying to do is make their competition look bad, and take advantage of the fact that the subsidiary does not lease servers or web space.

Claiming to be better than the competition by making claims such as:

9) Compete with their own customers?
Many companies that provide server management are really web hosting and/or dedicated server providers themself. Why would you pay your own competitor? Our company provides server management and monitoring exclusively, we do not compete with our own customers!

or

We do not sell servers. .

Is dead wrong, and extremely fraudulent and lousy business tactics. Of course, so is changing your name every time you have a problem (or a number of them) you want to run away from.Dear good people... stop being nitpicking about this crap-

I have used PSM for about a year... they have done well by me- that Is all i can vouch for. They should be able to work well with just about any datacenter.

No it's not
If it was a separate entity entirely, it wouldn't be billed by the same company that bills for the others, it wouldn't be run by the same person @ the head, and all the money wouldn't go to the same bank account.

PSM is a division of Coast Inc, yes, but that does not make it a separate entity.
The only thing the staff at PSM is trying to do is make their competition look bad, and take advantage of the fact that the subsidiary does not lease servers or web space.

Claiming to be better than the competition by making claims such as:

or

Is dead wrong, and extremely fraudulent and lousy business tactics. Of course, so is changing your name every time you have a problem (or a number of them) you want to run away from.Dear good people... stop being nitpicking about this crap-

So, you would consider your competition blatantly lying, and trying to trash you "crap"? I certainly wouldn't.
What they're saying on their website is far from fact. In fact, it is a lie. They've proven said lie here, by repeating it.

I have used PSM for about a year... they have done well by me- that Is all i can vouch for. They should be able to work well with just about any datacenter.

Their service isn't in question here, it's the fact that they have repeatedly lied, while trying to make competition look worse.

This is underhanded business tactics, and borderline fraudulent.So, you would consider your competition blatantly lying, and trying to trash you "crap"?

the only one i see trashing anyone is you! you are personally attacking them and making your self look incredibly childish

if you have a problem with something psm said, y not discuss it with them directly first at least? contact them, see what they say, then report back here the outcome. i guess its because you prefer to just rant and complain here like a baby.the only one i see trashing anyone is you

There's a difference between "trashing" someone and pointing out the truth.
Claiming "we're better than our competition because we don't host individuals" is a slam on their competition.
Turning around and THEN hosting individuals is a flat out lie.

if you have a problem with something psm said, y not discuss it with them directly first at least?

Because I have no desire to continue wasting my time dealing with individuals whom have no respect for the truth or their competition. They've had their chance to answer up, and lied about it publicly, so what makes you think they'll do anything else, differently?

Trashing someone (or flaming them), is something like this:

i guess its because you prefer to just rant and complain here like a baby.

Making a valid, true statement is neither flamatory, nor trashing, nor attacking. Your above statement, however was very flamatory, and VERY attacking. Not that I am surprised by it, mind you.

Their statement on their website basically states "We are better than our competition, because we don't sell hosting".
Well, two things are wrong with that
A> They're NOT better than their competition. They MAY be cheaper, but that's never better.
B> They DO sell hosting, they're just trying to hide itBecause I have no desire to continue wasting my time

now whos lieing lol. looks like you have plenty of time to waste, you've replied to this thread more than anyone else!!, plus your the only one is the thread complaining

A> They're NOT better than their competition. They MAY be cheaper, but that's never better.

i have used them and a few others, and they outpreformed all of them. i never used you and never would based on the way you are conducting yourself here like a little kid

mods, why not close this thread, its only one competitor ranting on and on and on and on, not to mention the entire thread is wayyyyy off topic from the original question in this threadnow whos lieing

its only one competitor ranting on and on and on and on,

So, not only can we not spell, we can't count?

At last count, there were 4 individuals making the very same comment in this thread. What they are doing is phishy, shady, and wrong, end of story.

the entire thread is wayyyyy off topic

Actually, no it's not.
The topic DID get started off one place, yes, but it got driven in a different direction by someone else (imagine that, NOT ME).

This is a public forum. No trashing of competition is going on, no insults are going on, this is merely public fact. PSM are MORE than welcome to step up to the plate and explain things, but they have chosen not to. They've chosen to ignore public questions, so private questions will be just as ignored, clearly.

you are conducting yourself here like a little kid

Now, now, let's see. Typical actions of conducting ones self like a child.
A> Namecalling
B> Repeated insults
C> Lack of proper spelling and grammar, creating one's own vocabulary for their own use.

Now, it seems to me it's not me that's acting like a kid. I've yet to call anyone any names, I've yet to insult anyone, and, well, my spelling is (usually) not that bad. You on the other hand.....

It's really simple:
It is a concern when individuals try to pull silly tricks such as have been played by PSM, and lie about not only themselves, but their competition. Even IF I wasn't a competitor of theirs, this point would be made by me, and proven.

PSM has refused to acknowledge or respond to the statements above, OR remove their lies from their website.

As far as me going on and on and on and on and on? Well, there's a simple way to stop that. Don't speak. You've said your peace, you've attacked me, and that I AM allowed to defend. Like it, don't like it, hey, that's cool, but when individuals directly call me out by placing stupid lies, or commenting negatively on what I've said, I'm not going to sit back in a corner and hide. I have every right to defend myself against such stupid childish stuff.

"Trashing" the competition means that someone is stating a falsehood. This is neither a falsehood, nor something made up. PSM claims one thing, yet does a completely different thing. They're lying there, end of story.

As to your statement of "who's lieing now"? Hey, if you twist anything around, you'll get it how you want it. I didn't say I wasn't "wasting my time", I said

Because I have no desire to continue wasting my time dealing with individuals whom have no respect for the truth or their competition. They've had their chance to answer up, and lied about it publicly, so what makes you think they'll do anything else, differently?

And contributing to WHT is hardly "wasting my time".I haven't had a chance to respond to this thread yet but I'd like to add my input now.

Platinum Server Management, Inc. and Coast Internet Solutions, Inc. are owned by the same person. Nobody ever lied about this, nobody ever denied this, and nobody is trying to hide this. Just look at the address on both sites and it's pretty easy to see this. If we were hiding it, obviously the first and foremost thing to do is change or remove the address.

But PSM and CoastInc are in fact completely separate and independent companies. PSM is not a division, it's not a subsidiary, it's not just a separate web site or name, it's actually a completely separate and independently registered corporation from CoastInc. They each have actual separate incorporation filings in the state of New Jersey, and are run by different employees. There is not a single employee (other than the owner) that works at PSM and also works at CoastInc or vice-versa.

CoastInc dedicated servers are bundled with the PSM service, so obviously the support for CoastInc servers is provided directly by PSM, this is openly and clearly stated directly on the CoastInc dedicated server page.

As was indicated on our PSM site, PSM does not offer dedicated servers.
PSM is completely unbias. When someone asks for a server provider recommendation, or if anyone asks if PSM sells servers, we say no we do not, and recommend other providers such as layeredtech, softlayer, etc.

As far as the credit card billing for PSM being done by the same CoastInc merchant account, this is because the majority of PSM customers pay by paypal, so there was never a need to get an additional credit card merchant account, therefore credit card charges are still done through CoastInc currently. This is in the process of being changed.
But this still does not change the fact that as I said originally, and as user `Premier` and user `jerett` and user `frattay22` explained perfectly in this thread, that both theoritically and legally, PSM does not sell servers, not the PSM web site, and not the PSM corporation.

The bottom line is that regardless of how anyone views this, there was never any intention to deceive anyone by saying PSM does not sell servers.
But `linux-tech` does make a point of a possibility of confusion because PSM says we do not sell servers when CoastInc does sell servers, so I have now removed that statement from our PSM page that says we do not sell servers. I have also asked the moderators to remove our previous reply earlier in this thread saying PSM does not sell servers.

If anyone has any other questions about this, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. Otherwise, I don't think this requires further discussion.
The possibly confusing statement on our web site saying PSM does not sell servers has already been removed, and therefore this matter is resolved.

Thanks,
EthanInteresting, I IM'd with PSM and asked who they would suggest as a dedicated host and they said LayeredTech.I asked about Softlayer and they said they were pretty good as well.BZThis is a great combination. We have used PSM for a few months now they have been quick to answer our tickets, also setting up various things on our server. These guys have been a great combination with SoftLayer. I say it is a great choice for anyone looking to have solid uptime and a great company backing them up. Thanks for all your support PSM!I'm glad this was cleared up or at least explained in a way that hopefully everyone can understand. Ethan and the crew are top notch. We have been using them since before they changed their name over and they haven't failed us yet. We probably only submitted a dozen ticket all together but it's nice to know if something comes up that you need fixed quick they are on the job. :)I'm not sure who pee'd in linux tech's cereal but being a competitor it doesn't look very professional bashing PSM on a public forum..