Should this be acceptable from any Managed Server Company??

webmasterbeta

Hello,
Last night i had bit of a bitter experience with a Server Management company. Here is what happened as far as i know , cause its now 9 hrs and no satisfactory reply to my question " I would like to look at logs and reasons for why server was requested to be rebooted" nothing , no logs no reasons provided so far.

This is what happened :

Like every weekend server went in the backup mode to backup all clients to ftp location, and ofcourse it will load the server , so the "TECH" from so company responded in this fashion :

He tried to login to SSH to look at loads, but he couldnt why ?? Cause he trying the wrong ssh port, which i have told them already, and they have worked with server already using that PORT. So the tech decides cause server load is high and server is working to ask LT to do a hard reboot, so the nice LT's Rebecca promtly (i was shocked within 1 min. it was rebooted) rebooted Machine.

So the machine gets rebooted and at same time siteuptime hits my site to check if its offline or not and finds it offline and it messes up my stats good <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.siteuptime.com/statistics.php?Id=26250&UserId=36076">http://www.siteuptime.com/statistics.ph ... erId=36076</a><!-- m -->
which doesnt look good from potential customers viewpoint now does it and would take another 5 months to get to the mark where it should constant 100% (which is just a fairy tale though) .

So summary " Tech asks for reboot of server cause he didnt care to login to right SSH port and asks for hard reboot and than few mins later again tried to login and asked for another reboot and IPtables Flush even when rebecca pointed that ssh and server was online by providing this :

support@newinst$ ping 72.36.246.50
PING 72.36.246.50 (72.36.246.50): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 72.36.246.50: icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=1.122 ms
64 bytes from 72.36.246.50: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=1.236 ms
^C
--- 72.36.246.50 ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.122/1.179/1.236/0.057 ms
support@newinst$ ssh 72.36.246.50 -p (She cared to put in right port though,cause its on their files).
The authenticity of host '72.36.246.50 (72.36.246.50)' can't be established.
DSA key fingerprint is e3:6c:2b:66:42:98:2d:18:e3:2b:3b:43:08:55:d0:90.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added '72.36.246.50' (DSA) to the list of known hosts.
[email protected]'s password:

But still the "TECH" asks for iptables Flush " Client IP: IP Removed for privacy reasons

I'm still unable to gain ssh access. Could you do an iptables flush for me?

Thanks!"

So, in the end its rebooted once again or whatever flush iptables does, but it went offline again for me.

So now my question is should i stick to such a company , who has not replied yet with the exact reason (i dont see any other reason at all) , who lied to my face saying this when i asked why server was down ( cause luckliy i was online at 4 am in the morning)

The server isn't down but we had to request a reboot as we were updating some
security settings on your machine.

We're keeping an eye on this and will let you know as soon as everything is
back to normal.

Now if they were working already with the security thing (which i assume can be done only via ssh) than why the hell the "TECH" couldnt login with the port i have told them and is on their FILE.

Bottom line " I am Really Pissed "

What should be my next course of action :
1. Look for new company .
2. Ask for Full Refund from the company.
3. Stick with the Company and give them one last Chance.
4. Give up the hope of finding any suitable "Server Management Company ". (if i had time i would love to do that cause i can admin my own servers myself, google is a good tool) .

Cheers.The problem maker is just one tech from that company, not the entire staffs. You can contact their feedback department to remove the staff from working on your servers in future and feel free to give them one more chance :)I guess thats a problem with big administration companies, I would request the admin company to put more effort into documenting servers.I guess thats a problem with big administration companies, I would request the admin company to put more effort into documenting servers.Yes, that is correct. But in this case. its a mistake caused by the careless attitude of that particular technicain.Let me guess, linuxcares provides management for this server?--TinaYes, that is correct. But in this case. its a mistake caused by the careless attitude of that particular technicain.

It could be, but it could also be due to lack of appropriate documentation.Let me guess, linuxcares provides management for this server?--TinaWrong Guess, Tina :). But, I worked for some server management companies before and I have seen problems like losing the name of companies due to the carelessness of some technicians. Thats why I said.Wrong Guess, Tina :). But, I worked for some server management companies before and I have seen problems like losing the name of companies due to the carelessness of some technicians. Thats why I said.

Ahh...that makes sense then.

Personally, I would fire the management company and let them know exactly why. That's not acceptable service.

--TinaAhh...that makes sense then.Personally, I would fire the management company and let them know exactly why. That's not acceptable service.--TinaI'm afraid to put any comments now, because you will doubt me again :D (revealing the name of your management company may help me from that, paidhosting).There can be different kind of techs working for every server management company. Somebody will be very expert, some othere may be freshers... (Steven, you may know more about it ;) ) . If you know the fact that your servers are not handled by the entire company and its just some technicians assigned for that, you wont fire them atm. Instead, you will contact their management and give them a complaint about that incident. If its a good server management company, they will take immediate actions to avoid the same things in future.I'd just ask the company to replace that technician and make sure that the server entry info is with the tech on dutyAhh...that makes sense then.

Personally, I would fire the management company and let them know exactly why. That's not acceptable service.

--Tina

Ok they never understood my point, that their tech didnt know the right port , and its a mistake on their end and all the reply i got was like this :

[17:16] Name Removed: You're acting like we have some reason to lie to you
[17:17] Name Removed: lol
[17:17] Name Removed: If we screwed up
[17:17] Name Removed: we have no problem admitting it
[17:17] Support A1 Web Hosting Solutions: its not about lie its the mistake made
[17:17] Name Removed: What mistake>
[17:17] Support A1 Web Hosting Solutions: why didnt the tech know the right port
[17:17] Support A1 Web Hosting Solutions: is that a mistake or not , u tell me
[17:19] Name Removedr: No it's not. Mis-communication. First off, the server was not enrolled with that port. It was changed by you then you informed us as an after thought of it. You shouldn't even be making these changes without consulting with us. Secondly, I had already advised you and everyone else we were doing re-enrollments. Part of the process of standardizing the ssh port. Around 40% of our managed servers

Oh i forgot to mention, they had been trying to update kernel since day one of me using their service and all that had happened was breaking of cpanel and few issues, and to this date they never got around on doing the kernel upgrade properly that worked.

PS: I am done with them cause they say i love to argue , and it was my backups fault that caused high load (ok i understand but should i stop doing backups than ?) . I dont see any alerts from sim as to if any services had failed but they say services were down.

But anyways bottom line is if your techs dont know which server is on which port (which exists in their FILE in their own support system), i dont see how it could be fault of my backups.

LOL according to them its my backups fault :

[17:27] Support A1 Web Hosting Solutions: plus my backup was almost done , it was backp up last few accounts
[17:27] Name Removedr: This downtime is caused by that
[17:27] Name Removed: Yell at the backups
[17:27] NAME Removed :)

So now lets see time to look for something better (man i thought this was the best but have found nothing yet suitable, so linuxcare u do management huh ?? ) .

If someone got recommendations do let me know , Please no PSM their sales sucked and just cause i asked where PSM was here on wht they refunded money muaah.From your chat with the server management company, I feel that that lack of communication played a main role here. Because, almost every server management companies have their own databases contains their client's server login informations and all. If you make any modifications in your server, you must inform them about the changes made.So now lets see time to look for something better (man i thought this was the best but have found nothing yet suitable, so linuxcare u do management huh ?? ) .No, as of now I am not running any server management company. Thanks for asking :)PS: Rack11 and seeksadmin has a good name in the industry and they are very active on this forum.If you make any modifications in your server, you must inform them about the changes made. It was changed by you then you informed us as an after thought of it.he did inform?he did inform?

Oh yes sir , i had informed them 2 weeks ago, only after 1 mins after i made port change, and they had tried to fix Kernel only 6 days ago with same port.

Attached are screenies. Name and port removed for secuirty.

Port Change Notification :

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sbclansite.com/viewer.php?id=9451portinformed.JPG">http://sbclansite.com/viewer.php?id=945 ... formed.JPG</a><!-- m -->

Kernel Changes done with same port:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sbclansite.com/viewer.php?id=5742Tickets-ETA.JPG">http://sbclansite.com/viewer.php?id=5742Tickets-ETA.JPG</a><!-- m -->

Contd..
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sbclansite.com/viewer.php?id=4738Tickets-ETA-b.JPG">http://sbclansite.com/viewer.php?id=473 ... -ETA-b.JPG</a><!-- m -->

Contd..
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sbclansite.com/viewer.php?id=1715Tickets-ETA-c.JPG">http://sbclansite.com/viewer.php?id=171 ... -ETA-c.JPG</a><!-- m -->

Notice that after 6 days still the kernel is the old one, cause they never got around to fix it and upgrade it cause it was having issues they said and why , i dont know.

Ah Rack911 too expensive though lol.

Cheers.Ah Rack911 too expensive though lol.Seeksadmin is like $50 bucks, give them a try :)Seeksadmin is like $50 bucks, give them a try :)

Hmm , k wont hurt i suppose, lets see if they can upgrade the kernel without issues :) .

What about touchsupport, they good or they just like the rest?Hmm , k wont hurt i suppose, lets see if they can upgrade the kernel without issues :) .What about touchsupport, they good or they just like the rest?Their prices looks good $29.95/mo. per machine :pTheir prices looks good $29.95/mo. per machine :pNaa thats too low , wont get anything done with that price. But linuxcare ur admin right? Do you manage servers for others?But Steven seeksadmin is like only 25$ pm which plan of theirs is for 50$ ?Touch support is recommended by us, we are using one of their services and are very happy.Naa thats too low , wont get anything done with that price. But linuxcare ur admin right? Do you manage servers for others?But Steven seeksadmin is like only 25$ pm which plan of theirs is for 50$ ?I was just going by their thread title in employment, I havent been to their site.I was just going by their thread title in employment, I havent been to their site.

Thank u sir, but why dont u offer ur services anymore steven, you have helped me before on few occasions so i wouldnt mind using your services.Thank u sir, but why dont u offer ur services anymore steven, you have helped me before on few occasions so i wouldnt mind using your services.

Just because its not on the site does not mean I do not have it. However it would likely be more expensive then most :-/

Mod- Not an advertisement.Mod- Not an advertisement.

LOL Advertisement Advertisement :) . J/K , ooh i didnt know u still provide service, will be contacting you soon, time for lunch (yaa i get to eat once in a day only :( ).

CheersWell I have use different server management companies. I won’t mention the name of the bad ones that broke my servers and let me down for hours. But I can recommend rack911.com they are pretty good and fast. Last month i have an issue with my server not booting up. I email 7 different management companies, rack 911 reply me in seconds and fix my server in less than 5 minutes (Thanks to CorporateColo guys for a fast KVN/ip installation). Now I am with serversupportguys.com they are pretty good, I’m glad that I find their services. I know that they are not cheap, but they take good care of your servers. Lyron is a good guy; he goes beyond his duties to help the customer. He secures my server and installed some good scripts on it (not open source scripts). All the staff is awesome Rachel and Aaron they are always there for support and the best thing is that they do care for their customers. I highly recommend them and their services, you will be happy to be with serversupportguys.com. Besides they are in the Informat building were softlayer and cologuys are located, so if you need remote hands they are the solution. I also pick their .bytefortress.net backup account; they do have some good backup’s solutions, and all fully managed. MikeOkay saw our name mentioned in here a few times. We have a fully managed special going for $50 that is why steve says that. Also I know prices are cheap but just look for reviews. You should for any company.Mods if you see that as advertisement please remove it, I am sorry.I would recommend Rack911 too, they do know their stuffOkay saw our name mentioned in here a few times. We have a fully managed special going for $50 that is why steve says that. Also I know prices are cheap but just look for reviews. You should for any company.Mods if you see that as advertisement please remove it, I am sorry.I would recommend Rack911 too, they do know their stuffI love this mutual respect between the server management companies :pI love this mutual respect between the server management companies :pThere is enough business around to share and I respect Steve and his crew. So to be honest I see no harm in promoting him. He does seem to return the favour... but it wouldnt matter I would still recommend him if he didnt.There is enough business around to share and I respect Steve and his crew. So to be honest I see no harm in promoting him. He does seem to return the favour... but it wouldnt matter I would still recommend him if he didnt.Your visions are highly appreciated, Tris :)Ahh shoot i just noticed that this company also broke my kernel and i can see this in my kernel report : --------------------- Kernel Begin ------------------------ WARNING: Kernel Errors Present do_page_fault+0x0/0x65b error_code+0x4f/0x54 ...: 1 Time(s) 1 Time(s): 00000000 00000080 c016afd2 00000080 00000080 e883b80c ccdaba6c 00000000 And this is from from previous reports before they touched kernel --------------------- Kernel Begin ------------------------ 6 Time(s): Advised path = 72.36.246.50 -> 61.150.107.131 1 Time(s): IO window: 8000-8fff 1 Time(s): IO window: 9000-9fff 1 Time(s): IO window: a000-afffNow i wonder who can fix my kernel, i emailed u Tris back about the 50$ thing.Those interested in company name shoot me a pm, cause i dont think i will be seeing my refunded money at all. But feel bad cause the owner seemed so nice initially. But this is the last response i got, ooh by the way dude ur more than welcome to post all my quotes if you feel cause those quotes dont have any weight when it comes to doing business the right way. Cause to be frank i do not deal with threats in a nice manner.[18:50] NR: Hi[18:50] *** Auto-response sent to NR: I am currently away from the computer.[18:50] NR: You went and posted on wht[18:50] NR: geez[18:51] NR Let me know when you mention our name, so I can tell my side of everything :)[18:51] NR: I'll include all your famous quote too[18:51] NR: I'm happy I saved them[18:59] *** NOTE: This user is offline. Your messages will most likely *not* be received!Ahh shoot i just noticed that this company also broke my kernel and i can see this in my kernel report : --------------------- Kernel Begin ------------------------ WARNING: Kernel Errors Present do_page_fault+0x0/0x65b error_code+0x4f/0x54 ...: 1 Time(s) 1 Time(s): 00000000 00000080 c016afd2 00000080 00000080 e883b80c ccdaba6c 00000000 And this is from from previous reports before they touched kernel
Code:
Just the above four lines wont help to find out the exact issue. You have to provide the full warning (10-15 lines) to find out the problem. Hope Tris can lead you to the right path.Wow who ever that company is, they sure are jerks.Lol just contact rack 911.com , Steven will take care of this, HE KNOWS A LOT of server administration, he have a six sense, he knows were the issues are.  If you are planning on a long term management relationship pick serversupportguys.com Lyron will take care of you, and he also knows a lot about server administration.Lol just contact rack 911.com , Steven will take care of this, HE KNOWS A LOT of server administration, he have a six sense, he knows were the issues are. He is expensive lol :D@linux i didnt want to post all as i dont want to turn this thread in techinal problem solution thread. But if want to see full thing i can pm you the same.CheersHe is expensive lol :D

If you think hiring a profesional is expensive, try hiring an amateurIf you think hiring a profesional is expensive, try hiring an amateur
Hmm, where can i find an amateur any suggestions?I'm not sure whether an ameteur technician can  fix your issues. Just do a search on employment offers and requests forum, you may find somebody.Hello paidhosting,recently there have been MANY reviews on server management companies on WHT.Do a search, you will be surprised.Hmm, where can i find an amateur any suggestions?This quote means you may get an amateur to do it and the chances are he will break things, then you'll need to pay a professional more to fix the things the amateur broke and to fix the original problem.This quote means you may get an amateur to do it and the chances are he will break things, then you'll need to pay a professional more to fix the things the amateur broke and to fix the original problem.

Oh i was thinking maybe hire tris, had seen one bad review bout them but taking risks is part of life i suppose. So guys if you see my site offline blame Tris for it :D , lets see when they setup my account though.I would recommend TouchSupport.I would recommend TouchSupport.Thanks mate for recommendation, currently with talk with 3 folks (companies including touchsupport). Its hard to decide after having bad experiences with 2 companies, but i suppose its best to have the company do their work and not poke around the server to see if anyone was actually working on it :D  and one  should be too dumb to not know whats going on server (which i doubt is what causes my issues cause i look around server myself occasionally and every fix a company did i tried to get some explanations as to what was the issue and how they solved it but most of the i got blank replies. ).Just keep in mind that every managed server company employs human beings that make mistakes.  While it is regrettable that they made a simple mistake and can't admit it or apologize for it, that is what seperates the good from poor management companies.Just keep in mind that every managed server company employs human beings that make mistakes.  While it is regrettable that they made a simple mistake and can't admit it or apologize for it, that is what seperates the good from poor management companies.Exactly!!! Almost all the server management companies are famous because of their one or two good admins, but we need to understand that they couldnt work for us all the time (they may have  a lot of other customers also), some of their other techs (that can be non-experts also) will be working on the servers. So, dont expect the top notch quality from any server management company alll the time.paidhosting,I'm going to state the obvious here, you did change any admin level passwords (root/ssh2/control panel/anything that company might of had access to)? I'd definitely double check and ensure they can't get into anything (including if they might of made any rsa ssh2 keys for passwordless logins).paidhosting,I'm going to state the obvious here, you did change any admin level passwords (root/ssh2/control panel/anything that company might of had access to)? I'd definitely double check and ensure they can't get into anything (including if they might of made any rsa ssh2 keys for passwordless logins).Yaa rsa keys have been removed, password changed , ssh port changed (thats the first thing i do anyways) cause if they dont know the port (lol funny they actually didnt in the first case :D :D :D :D  ) i doubt rsa ssh2 keys can work. But is a refund the end of story if a management company does something to your server say like a Kernel upgrade (forgetting to load some drivers i suppose) causing server unusable for 30+ minutes? All the headache and tension you get cause of that i think is NON-refundable. So i would suggest companies to hire professionals(oh now i am gonaa get a comment why the hell u not choose professionals, well to that i tried companies most reputed here on WHT so dunno where i can find more professional companies) only even if it costs them more, cause ur playing with some other persons money and server and in the end are causing them pain, which is inhumane.  I wish every company out there realize that and improve upon their practices , cause i remember when the server was down for 30 minutes i was not wondering of frack i gotta do refunds now, i was thinking oh shoot  cause of my mistakes others are suffering and that feeling is what i have been trying to avoid for quite some time. Its not about money all the time. :agree: Cheers.ssh port changed (thats the first thing i do anyways) cause if they dont know the port (lol funny they actually didnt in the first case     ) i doubt rsa ssh2 keys can work. A simple nmap will show this information.A simple nmap will show this information.

Hmm so anyone can find out which port i am running ssh on ? Please explain what you meant.Hmm so anyone can find out which port i am running ssh on ? Please explain what you meant.
Yes. Anybody can find this information.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://freshmeat.net/projects/nmap/Hey">http://freshmeat.net/projects/nmap/Hey</a><!-- m --> layer can i try it on your network and check it out ?Ok just tried nmap on my own server and seems like it didnt pick up the ssh port. Said ssh port 22 closed :). But might try it again and see if it can find ssh port.Cheers