Set-up time

admin

Administrator
Staff member
How long should it take to set-up a managed server config? I've talked to a couple different companies and seems like it's all over the board. I know it depends on the complexity of the environment, but I think what I want to do is pretty straightforward. 3 servers (web, app, SQL) behind a dedicated firewall. Any one have an opinion on how long it should take? What's a reasonable expectaion? Thanks-ChuckGoldHello ChuckGold,nice font you used there ;)This kind of setup can take upto 48 hours, but it depends upon the company you are dealing with.only they can convey you in real sense how much time its going to take :)Straight forward? Yes.Time it should take? It will depend on the expertise of the staff you employ and their familiarity with setting up your particular environment. Communication between you and them to express your needs may be a factor too, so make yourself clear when making your request.This kind of setup should not take more then 48 hours. This includes setup, configuration and testing. Again it depends on which company you sign up with and their expertise to deal with this kind of setups.I agree it depends on the provider. The majority of places I've seen (or worked with in the past) take around 48hrs but usually they are "white-box" providers. For instance when we do them it can take several weeks because every new server is custom built/ordered just for that client and shipped directly to us from the manufacturer. So it really depends how custom the solutions are that they provide.48 - 72 hours, depending on how many server builds they have ahead of you. --TinaHi. it took me 2 hours to set up my box ready for accounts. It took 10 minutes to install Cent OS. 40 minutes to install Cpanel and i was ready. Spent about 1 hour 10 tweeking settings.Thanks,Hi. it took me 2 hours to set up my box ready for accounts. It took 10 minutes to install Cent OS. 40 minutes to install Cpanel and i was ready. Spent about 1 hour 10 tweeking settings.

Thanks,

He's asking how long it should take a company to setup one - which is actually asking how long from order to delivery. That's quite a bit different than simply installing things on your own pre-built server. ;)

--TinaHi. it took me 2 hours to set up my box ready for accounts. It took 10 minutes to install Cent OS. 40 minutes to install Cpanel and i was ready. Spent about 1 hour 10 tweeking settings.

Thanks,

when you buy your own servers, you wont say this anymore :) It's easy to take 3-7 days for ordering hardware from vendorWell Accept for deliviery time. I set up the server (it was colo) in two hours.Thanks,Depends on if the hardware has to be ordered or not etc. But I would say generally 48-72 hours if the hardware is in stock.