Red Hat 4 Comments?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I talked to someone about doing management on an unmanaged Linux server I plan to rent pretty soon. I told him that I needed RedHat 4 installed because of one specific new application.

I told him I would need the server set up, secured and hardened, DNS and mailserver .. pretty much standard but with a few extra mySQL RPMs. PERL, PHP 5, two extra libraries and a c++ compiler.

The first response I got back startled me a bit.

RH4 may prove to be a bit difficult to harden,
and to manage dependencies.

Comments?You mean RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 or regular RedHat 4?If you are talking about RedHat 4, that guy is true.Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 is rock solid and extremely secure after you've patched it all up.

I doubt if he's referring to regular RH4, that thing is ancient.Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 is rock solid and extremely secure after you've patched it all up.

I doubt if he's referring to regular RH4, that thing is ancient.

This came up in a conversation with the main developer of some open source software that I want to use. maybe I need to get a clarification.

Which one is the free version?This came up in a conversation with the main developer of some open source software that I want to use. maybe I need to get a clarification.Which one is the free version?Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 is NOT free.(People use CentOS 4 which is the same thing as RHEL4)RedHat 4 is VERY VERY OLD + FREEI told him I would need the server set up, secured and hardened, DNS and mailserver .. pretty much standard but with a few extra mySQL RPMs. PERL, PHP 5, two extra libraries and a c++ compiler.Centos 5 (redhat enterprise 5)... comes with php5 default.RedHat Enterprise 4 does not come with PHP5, it comes with PHP4. To get PHP5 on that system would require either installing some random PHP RPM from somewhere, or compiling PHP from source. Both of those options negate many of the benefits of using RedHat Enterprise Linux in the first place (e.g., fully regression tested software packages, automated update system, etc.).Centos 5 (redhat enterprise 5)... comes with php5 default.
I talked to the developer yesterday and he wants to test on RH5, so he offered to help me make sure it works on RH5.

These are the RPMs required.

MySQL-client-community-5.0.41-0.rhel4.i386.rpm
MySQL-devel-community-5.0.41-0.rhel4.i386.rpm
MySQL-server-community-5.0.41-0.rhel4.i386.rpm
MySQL-shared-community-5.0.41-0.rhel4.i386.rpm

So RH5 seems like the best way to go. Thanks for the help!:)RedHat 5 is also extremely old, you're talking about Redhat Enterprise 5 :p Make sure when you look for it or refer to it to people you specify.I talked to the developer yesterday and he wants to test on RH5, so he offered to help me make sure it works on RH5.These are the RPMs required.MySQL-client-community-5.0.41-0.rhel4.i386.rpmMySQL-devel-community-5.0.41-0.rhel4.i386.rpmMySQL-server-community-5.0.41-0.rhel4.i386.rpmMySQL-shared-community-5.0.41-0.rhel4.i386.rpmSo RH5 seems like the best way to go. Thanks for the help!:)While the RHEL 4 ones probably work with RHEL 5 you should use the RHEL 5 RPMS from the MySQL website since they'll likely have specific compile options for the changes in the RHEL 5 OS.I talked to the developer yesterday and he wants to test on RH5, so he offered to help me make sure it works on RH5.These are the RPMs required.MySQL-client-community-5.0.41-0.rhel4.i386.rpmMySQL-devel-community-5.0.41-0.rhel4.i386.rpmMySQL-server-community-5.0.41-0.rhel4.i386.rpmMySQL-shared-community-5.0.41-0.rhel4.i386.rpmSo RH5 seems like the best way to go. Thanks for the help!:)These rpms are for RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.If you don't want to pay for it, it will work on CentOS 4 too.