Rack911: Two years review

wxdqz

HelloI would like to share with you my experience with Rack911.Our company run few dozen of servers. Some are entry level machines such as Celerons but many are Xeon or Opteron class servers with 6 or 8 Gb RAM. When you have to fix a Kernel problem on a machine that host 2000 websites, you have got to ask yourself a question: do I feel lucky?In other cases, whatever your experience, you could spend 12 hours working on a mySQL or Exim problem without any progress.In many cases, we do know how to fix a problem but we have no time for it and we prefer to outsource the job.In these cases and many others we used to contact rack911. In fact, for all Kernel related issues, there is only one guy in the world who is allowed to work in our servers: Steven from rack911. Even our staff members don't handle Kernel issues even if they do know how to take care of them. In fact, many small hosts with 1 or 2 servers closed or went banckrupted because they tried to fix problems beyond their knowledge. A friend of mine, who were active on WHT few months ago, closed his business because when he rebooted his machines after a home made Kernel patching they didn't restart. They wont tell you that if you don't ask very explicitly, but most data centers and server providers don't support such issues, at least not for free. In the case I am talking about, the guy was offred two options: free OS reload with 100% data loss, or paying for remote hands at $150 hourly rate. He wasn't lucky...You understand what I mean. For some issues, it is better to hire professionnals than to put business, data or reputation at risk.We use rack911 because we trust them and we were never disapointed. We used many other services on the past, but we no longer do. Rack911 staff are true Unix professionnals and they fixed for us very hard problems that were overlooked by many other admins.The last time I hired Steven, he find and fixed a problem with RPM inconsistency. I googled arround for 3 days and couple of admins (including 1 from the DC) tried to fix no success. Very few people I guess would be able to spot this issue.Rack911 staff are available 7 days a week. Everytime I drop them an email, I have got someone within 30 to 120 minutes. They charge $50 per hour. However, as they are very effective, most of issues are fixed within 1 hour and therfore cost $50. Anyway, I prefer to pay $50 hourly rate for 1 hour than $30/h for 3 or 4 hours. I would add that with Rack911 the job is allways garanted. They never ask for a payment in advance. You pay only when the problem is fixed and you are satisfied with your server. In my opinion and according to my experience Rack911 are the best in their business. I would say among the best just to respect others...I would also like to share with you my experiences. I can't remember how long I have used Rack911. But I only started using them after observing Steven's postings on WHT for a long time. I first started giving him small jobs, after that as the trust developed, he did the most complicated upgrades. We handled more than 300 servers, whenever there is a client needing upgrades or getting rid of root kits, Steven did them and made it seemed so simple.Great job and I am really glad to have found him.Thank you for the review.Steven has been doing excellent work for me for years as well! :) I tried using alternatives a few times and the quality was just not even remotely the same.Steven wins, he's amazing!As of today we have having issues getting in touch with Steve. In fact on Feb 14th we opened a ticket (QEN-921618) requesting service for a new kernel. He replied on Feb 15th and gave us a price, which I promptly paid. Feb 20th - No response, we updated the ticketFeb 21th - No response, we updated the ticketFeb 27th - Opened another ticket at "Urgent' level, JXN-490837, asking what was going on - No responseFeb 27th - No response to either ticket, we updated the ticket(s)Feb 28th - told my ticket is corrupt, to re open, ticket was closed, other ticket is magically removed Mar 1st - Opened new ticket - PNK-430073Mar 5th - No response, updated the ticket Mar 8th - No response, updated the ticket. And here we are, hoping we can either get the service peformed on our server or get our $50.00 back.Since we aren't getting any response updating the tickets, our only solution is to post on here to get Steves attention. I manage a support team for enterprise single-sign on solutions, if my team gave support like this I'd be out of a job! -tWe have hired Steven before for kernel upgrade, his job is accurate, but we somehow found that rack911 is very much a one man show operation, not sure the situation exactly now thoughFrom what I know Steve does not take money before the job was done. Did he specifically ask you to send him the money first?I've used steve in the past for a kernel upgrade about a year ago and everything was done flawlessly. He did not specifically ask for the money upfront, I was kinda enough to pay him ahead of time. I wouldn't mind if he just said "We're busy, you're scheduled for X date"... but to be silent isn't right. -tWings900 could you please pm me your paypal transaction. This is exactly why I do not like cash before work, I never know if someone has paid or not.From what I know Steve does not take money before the job was done. Did he specifically ask you to send him the money first?

I remember that as well... I used him several years ago and I was desperate to resolve an issue and he fixed things before asking for anything in return.I wouldn't mind if he just said "We're busy, you're scheduled for X date"... but to be silent isn't right. -tExactly. Its not a good practise to keep the tickets unattended. If you are busy with some other things, you have to update the customer about it rather than making him wait for some days without any progress.Exactly. Its not a good practise to keep the tickets unattended. If you are busy with some other things, you have to update the customer about it rather than making him wait for some days without any progress.

You have no idea the troubles we had with a corrupted kayako database. So I do not see your post as productive.

Wings server is being worked on as we speak.We have hired Steven before for kernel upgrade, his job is accurate, but we somehow found that rack911 is very much a one man show operation, not sure the situation exactly now though

I don't think that should be of a concern if Steven gets his jobs done and is providing the service, and from my past experiences with Steven, it seems like he's a very hard working person and pretty much is giving it his all just like many of us WHTers here, whether webhosts or designers/coders and so on ;)

Cheerswe were satisfied too, he is good for case by case issueAgreed. Steven does excellent work.kayako released a new stable build on march 5th that fixes like 200 bugs. You might want to look into that if you haven't already.Kevin, Its been upgraded for some time now, its even on SupportSuite now.Glad to see this review about Steven, I have used him in the past with great results and I can say he is the best in the business after trying many.He is VERY knowledgable on kernel, fix almost every issue about it even fix the problem that *some* management company could not fixGlad to hear that others have had success stories with Rack911 & Steven...

When I posted on March 8th on this very thread, Steve jumped into action and began his work. He said he had some Kernel build issues and would update me.

March 14 I posted a response to the ticket (PNK-430073) asking what the status is. No response

Here it is March 26, no response, work is not completed and it has been since Feb 14th that we aske Steve to do his work. Possibly this post will magically get our server work executed.

-tDidn't realize I had two accounts, was logged in w/the wrong one. Regardless, the above post is in reference to the Wings900 server I posted about on 3/8 -tYou have no idea the troubles we had with a corrupted kayako database. So I do not see your post as productive.Wings server is being worked on as we speak.We have been using kayako since v1, and NEVER had any problems.It's just really stupid and unprofessional for a IT company to blame their broken database on the developers. Why don't you fix it?BTW Steven, did only wdwms's ticket got corrupted??Glad to hear that others have had success stories with Rack911 & Steven...When I posted on March 8th on this very thread, Steve jumped into action and began his work. He said he had some Kernel build issues and would update me.March 14 I posted a response to the ticket (PNK-430073) asking what the status is. No responseHere it is March 26, no response, work is not completed and it has been since Feb 14th that we aske Steve to do his work. Possibly this post will magically get our server work executed. I guess it is his corrupted database again.. :eek3:We have been using kayako since v1, and NEVER had any problems.It's just really stupid and unprofessional for a IT company to blame their broken database on the developers. Why don't you fix it?BTW Steven, did only wdwms's ticket got corrupted??I guess it is his corrupted database again.. :eek3:Steven is not the only person who has had problems with Kayako. Also, I don't think he appreciates your derogatory attitude, especially with your position as a competitor (AFAIK). Furthermore, there has been no reference to a corrupted database in this thread, aside from your presumptuous post. The issue is concerning a bug in Kayako's system. I highly recommend you consider thinking a little the next time you post.Best,Steven is not the only person who has had problems with Kayako. Also, I don't think he appreciates your derogatory attitude, especially with your position as a competitor (AFAIK). Furthermore, there has been no reference to a corrupted database in this thread, aside from your presumptuous post. The issue is concerning a bug in Kayako's system. I highly recommend you consider thinking a little the next time you post. Do not feel offended, we are not a competitor. In fact, our customers usually sign up for server management companies :)One of our customer was endless waiting for a simple issue with exim to be fixed. After he felt that Steven is very selective (or lets say his kayako install) regarding customer emails, he went for another company.Steven is certainly an experienced linux admin, but his company is definately missing lots of those simple things to be a caring server management company for many people. Please do some searching and you will have enough evidence.My advice to the people who say that Steven is the only one with the experience, do some homework! There are many experienced linux admins and it seems you are hitting too many "wannabee" admins.Layer0, I think you need to reread Steven's post:You have no idea the troubles we had with a corrupted kayako database. So I do not see your post as productive.Yep, corrupted database ;)Do not feel offended, we are not a competitor. In fact, our customers usually sign up for server management companies :)One of our customer was endless waiting for a simple issue with exim to be fixed. After he felt that Steven is very selective (or lets say his kayako install) regarding customer emails, he went for another company.Steven is certainly an experienced linux admin, but his company is definately missing lots of those simple things to be a caring server management company for many people. Please do some searching and you will have enough evidence.My advice to the people who say that Steven is the only one with the experience, do some homework! There are many experienced linux admins and it seems you are hitting too many "wannabee" admins.Layer0, I think you need to reread Steven's post:Yep, corrupted database ;)Apparently there are two separate issues with this Kayako install in that case. Regardless, every time I send an e-mail to Steven I receive a response to my satisfaction the same day. Not once have I found a question for which he did not know the answer. He is that good. As such, I never understand how anyone can substantiate their claims of him as anything less than excellent. I recognize that he may not be the most suitable admin for everyone out there, but he has done great work for me and plenty of other people on this forum. Best,As such, I never understand how anyone can substantiate their claims of him as anything less than excellent. I will gladly show screen shots of my tickets to show how my current issue has been anything but responsive and excellent. If I hadn't pre-paid I would have been long gone. Incidentally, just a few hours after posting my latest update, our server is now being worked on again! -tI will gladly show screen shots of my tickets to show how my current issue has been anything but responsive and excellent. If I hadn't pre-paid I would have been long gone. Incidentally, just a few hours after posting my latest update, our server is now being worked on again! -tI am sorry to hear of your experience, and I recognize that not everyone will be satisfied, but I cannot ignore the fact that I have never experienced anything less than stellar service.Best,I am sorry to hear of your experience, and I recognize that not everyone will be satisfied, but I cannot ignore the fact that I have never experienced anything less than stellar service. Best, Understood, we received excellent service the first time around, about a year ago.. -tWe are a little backlogged right now, I am updating tickets as I type this.There should be no excuses for this really layer0. Just because you personally had a good experience doesn't mean that wings900 is wrong or other people replying to this thread. He has been waiting 1.5 months to get this done so there is no excuses.I agree with the other poster regarding the DB, you shouldn't blame a corrupted DB on not getting a ticket resolved for 1.5 months. If you are a system admin then you should be able to rectify that. If you have too much work on your plate then simply stop accepting new orders.What happens if someone pays for you to secure a server, you take a few weeks to a few months to do it and during that time the server is hacked?There should be no excuses for this really layer0. Just because you personally had a good experience doesn't mean that wings900 is wrong or other people replying to this thread. He has been waiting 1.5 months to get this done so there is no excuses.I am not giving excuses, I am simply stating that my experience has been quite to the contrary. It doesn't mean the other person is lying, it doesn't mean the other person is wrong, it just means that their experience is not as good. I accept it. Being a good admin doesn't mean you can correct a corrupted DB. The issue "corrupted DB" in itself is rather vague and could refer to an assortment of things. I'd wager that he was waiting on Kayako's support to respond...Everything else in your post is rather presumptuous, assuming you have not used Steven's services. How do you know if he is even accepting orders right now? There is no order form on the site nor has there even been [at least for quite a while]. You need to contact him...The database corruption was originally started by mysql, i ended up having to remove alot of tickets to fix it as there was some discrepancies in the database causing some tickets to not be viewable.if wings wanted a refund all he has to do is ask I have no problem giving it, i just need the transaction id.The database corruption was originally started by mysql, i ended up having to remove alot of tickets to fix it as there was some discrepancies in the database causing some tickets to not be viewable. if wings wanted a refund all he has to do is ask I have no problem giving it, i just need the transaction id. I'd like the work performed and completed. The Paypal Transaction was in the original ticket, JXN-490837, the second one I opened to find out what was going on with the first and now it is in the first post of the ticket that you are currently updating me on: PNK-430073 that has been open since 3/1/07 -tNo idea where steven is but my tickets keeps disappearing, so steven contact me i got some issues with server i need to be looked into.No idea where steven is but my tickets keeps disappearing, so steven contact me i got some issues with server i need to be looked into.

note to wht, this was resolved.note to wht, this was resolved.
Yes it is resolved hoping steven can get new ticket system online as i do not see any tickets i submit at all.I am not giving excuses, I am simply stating that my experience has been quite to the contrary. It doesn't mean the other person is lying, it doesn't mean the other person is wrong, it just means that their experience is not as good. I accept it.

Being a good admin doesn't mean you can correct a corrupted DB. The issue "corrupted DB" in itself is rather vague and could refer to an assortment of things. I'd wager that he was waiting on Kayako's support to respond...

Everything else in your post is rather presumptuous, assuming you have not used Steven's services. How do you know if he is even accepting orders right now? There is no order form on the site nor has there even been [at least for quite a while]. You need to contact him...

So that issue should take a month to resolve?May be something got wrong with this particular transaction. Anyway, Steven solved for us within a couple of hours very complicated problems that were overlooked by many linux admins.He is the only person we trust when we need to fix a problem on a mission critical server. We were never disappointed.So that issue should take a month to resolve?

No, it should not.You are completely off topic. You have a previous history of bad relationship with Steve I am sorry for that, but it doesn’t fit into this topic. Did you register here just to say that?When I hire someone to fix an important server, I don’t care of his personal qualities. The most important for me, is that he knows what he does.Wings was refunded his payment Plus extra to compensate him for his frustrations. Name another company that would do that.I could name numerous. There was a dedicated server provider here recently who credited a client for a full year. If a problem takes over a month to fix after payment then that is pretty much expected.Correct, Steve couldn't fit us into our schedule and refunded us our money plus extra. I wish it had taken less time to get to this point, but we are happy none-the-lessI could name numerous. There was a dedicated server provider here recently who credited a client for a full year. If a problem takes over a month to fix after payment then that is pretty much expected.

A dedicated provider does not fall in the same catagory. BESIDES get out of my thread please you are/were a competitor at one point.Wings was refunded his payment Plus extra to compensate him for his frustrations. Name another company that would do that.

I am not trying to insult you here but you do not have to compare other companies because they actually do more than that.

NetA dedicated provider does not fall in the same catagory. BESIDES get out of my thread please you are/were a competitor at one point.I am not a competitor at all. I am simply pointing out a few things which are true.I am not a competitor at all. I am simply pointing out a few things which are true.

You WERE a competitor. You ran adminway did you not?!I am not trying to insult you here but you do not have to compare other companies because they actually do more than that.

Net

You too are a competitor, I just love it :)What happens if someone pays for you to secure a server, you take a few weeks to a few months to do it and during that time the server is hacked?

I just saw this.

Like I have told everyone PAYMENT AFTER WORK IS COMPLETED. Wings paid in advance.You WERE a competitor. You ran adminway did you not?!

Keyword, were, over a year ago. Not to mention the fact that I do not have a sig here so it wouldn't even be advertising. I think you need to stop worrying about whether someone WAS a competitor years ago and possibly fix that ticket system...this isn't the first thread like this.Keyword, were, over a year ago. Not to mention the fact that I do not have a sig here so it wouldn't even be advertising. I think you need to stop worrying about whether someone WAS a competitor years ago and possibly fix that ticket system...this isn't the first thread like this.I dont need to worry about anything other then the fact you WERE a competitor and is participating in my thread.There was only ONE person in this thread that was actually client.Ratio of happy to bad customers is 50:1 realistically.And for the record, in the last 2 days I have passed on about 10 clients to competitors (admingeekz for example) as we do not have the capacity at the moment.You too are a competitor, I just love it :)Steven,I understand your frustration.If you do not want users to comment on your post, then do not post in WHT public forum comparing other company rather focus on the review. You asked it in the public forum, then we reply. We never even mentioned the name of the company that is doing what you do also.Besides, if you are a very good Sys. Ad., you have nothing to worry about competitors. I am speaking as a regular user.I didn't even bother to look at this thread until you reported it.NetI wish it had taken less time to get to this point, but we are happy none-the-less
Nice to see you happy :)

Thread closed.