Only 3.18MB RAM showing

johank

My dedicated server has 4Mb of RAM installed but only 3.18Mb is usable. OS is CentOS 5.7 64bit so it should be able to use all of the 4Mb of RAM. Server CPU is an Intel C2Q Q6600.

What could be the reason behind this and what's the solution. I can't use kernel-PAE since it's already a 64bit OS and there's no 64bit kernel-PAE, since it would be useless.

Thanks for your help! Did you mean to say 4Gb? Have You Created The Server? Or Has Microsoft Released Micro-Ram?? "3.18Mb Ram". You probably mean 4GB instead of 4MB Quote: Originally Posted by HostHatch Did you mean to say 4Gb? Quote: Originally Posted by .:NightDemon:. You probably mean 4GB instead of 4MB omg omg omg, you got it, you are so smart, please be my friends

what is exactly point of your posts here? can you help him if he corrects his mistakes and writes 4gb?

For OP, it would be best for you to contact your service provider and see what is the issue

and are u not sure that 4 - 3.16gb isn't the diference between real memory and resources your OS takes? What a wonderfull sarcastic reply infernohuman...

Only what I could think of, that is isn't a 64-BIT operating system.
But since you say, it is.. then indeed you better contact your providor.

Maybe some graphics card that uses around 900MB Ram? Or something similiar. Yeah yeah yeah, I'm only human. It's got 4Gb RAM but only 3.18Gb are showing on HyperVM, Virtualmin and top... Thank you to everyone who replied.

Yup, I'm sure it's a 64bit OS...

# cat /etc/issue
Quote: CentOS release 5.7 (Final)
Kernel \r on an \m
# uname -i
Quote: x86_64 Anyway, I'll try asking my provider (again). When I first got the server, it had Centos 5.6 32bit. When I asked my provider why the server only shows 3.18Gb RAM, and why it had a 32bit OS, he told me "that's the reason why I can only see 3.18Gb of RAM..." Good answer!

So, I reinstalled with Centos 5.7 64bit, rebooted, crossed my fingers and, kablam! Still only 3.18Gb...

I don't think it would be a video card or something since I don't think these servers even have video cards and even if they did, why would it be set to such a high memory setting (almost a gig!?)...

Yeah, I guess my provider should know the reason. Thanks again!