ms access on linux server?

liunx

hey everyone, this should be a simple one.

Im running my webpage off of my friend's computer that he has set up as a linux server. I want to put a simple forum in my webpage. its the same one as this site. the thing is hes too lazy to install any data base on there for me. would i be able to set up a Ms Access data base on there without installing stuff on the server? hes hosting the site for free so i dont want to complain to him too much. thanx for any help or information u can provide because as u can tell i dont know much.

:confused: <--me all the timeI doubt it. MS - linux, they don't exactly run the same stuff.didnt think so, but never hurts to double checkjust tell (ask) him to put mysql on, it is small and free. oh and easy.I wouldn't put it past MS Office to run on a Linux seeing that MS is smart enough to make their big applications smart enough to run on most platforms. For instance, I know Office has run on Apples for quite some time now and Apple is a much larger concern to MS than Linux currently.

Though, there's only one of three reasons your buddy installed Linux in the first place. Either,
A. He realizes how much better a server Linux is for running a web Server than anything else,
B. He has a serious dislike for MS
Or.....(and most likely)
C. Both

So, in essence, it's not as much that MS Access wouldn't be able to run on Linux (Linux gurus get any other Windows compliant app to run on Linux) but that he wouldn't want to infest his perfectly good machine with works of M$atan.hey putts,

i think unfortunitly ur off on a few things. anyone can correct me if im wrong but i dont think apple is a concern for microsoft because im pretty sure microsoft owns shares in apple. from the best off my knowlege apple was goin under and MS invested money in them so they wouldnt have to deal with the whole monopoly deal. whats better than making money off your bigest competitor?

and about my lazy administrator friend? hes just lazy man. i jus dont wanna hug him too much cuz he hosts my page for free off of his P266mmx 64mbram crap compuer. hes not anti microsoft. cuz he was playing around with that emulator i think its called wine to try and run windwos proggies on his comp. Not all linux users are anti microsoft. there is nothing about linux that says anti microsoft. the biggest driving force behind linux is that it is FREEEEEEEEE :D. only reason people hate microsoft is because they're hatin on Billy boy's success. i respect gates as a buisness man. does it really surprise you that much that someone would do someting do something a lil shady to make money as microsoft is blamed of doing sometimes? the worlds jus like that. by the way dont take me as pro or anti microsoft or linux cuz im not, I like ms cuz it widley used and i like linux cuz its FREE. but all this is off topic.

So yeah, i solved my problem by making my own linux server :)Originally posted by putts
I wouldn't put it past MS Office to run on a Linux seeing that MS is smart enough to make their big applications smart enough to run on most platforms.
uhh M$ apps are reprogrammed to run in Apple. the biggest difference in Apple compared to a PC is Macs don't have file extensions. hence they don't have dll's and you know M$ is big on those.yeah thats besides the fact that, or reprogrammed due to the fact that apple and pc processors are completely diff. apples are risc based best to my knowlege, and pcs are i386 based. a prog made for a pc wouldnt even work for a apple. obviously the OS. but the processor instructions and stuff are different but thats getting into stuff i know little about.

im probably right about most or maybe wrong about most of the things i said here today. but hey it takes a man of intelegance to know every answer but a man of even greater intelegance to admit and accept he doesnt know every answer. i wasnt picking on u putts just saying what i do know.

we're all here to ask questions give answeres and learn anyways right?