Managed shared accounts?

webmasterbeta

Does such a thing exist as managed shared servers?Generally speaking, all shared accounts are Managed!- RickDepends on what you mean by managed. Some hosts offer a "managed" product by which hosting/design/updates/maintenance is included in the fee. This would be for businesses usually who have no technological skills.You should specify what "managed" means?

Depends on what you mean by managed.

Some hosts offer a "managed" product by which hosting/design/updates/maintenance is included in the fee. This would be for businesses usually who have no technological skills.

Agree.I could imagine that the OP means something like having Shared Hosting with a provider that takes care of script/web application installations and maintenance (like updates).That would make sense to me, but it's just a guess...Does such a thing exist as managed shared servers?

I went through your other posts and am going to guess that you've set yourself up on a dedicated machine and aren't happy with managing a server yourself.

I've got customers, one in particular, that have a bunch of small sites with us where she has her email address listed as the alternate so I'm assuming she is letting us take care of the server management, site software, and billing her customers while she, I guess, does design, site management, whatever, and charges them an additional fee.

So, I'm thinking, you could:

1) set up your own dedicated machine (but it sounds as if that's beyond what you want to handle)

2) Set up on a VPS. Again, that requires you being responsible for server software, support, etc. It's like having your own dedicated machine but probably not what you want.

3) Get a reseller account somewhere. You still have certain configuration and support issues but not nearly as much and you do your own billing.

4) Do the individual web sites as I first described. Find someplace that offers virtual hosting in a small enough package (cheap) and either sign your customers up yourself or have them do it (I don't know what your design/management/script involvement might be). I think some are as low as $2

Look through the Offers section and you should be able to find plenty of 3 & 4.Perhaps you could consider getting a management package with a 3rd party management company if your current host isn't able or profession at helping you manage your shared accounts. I think everyone here could help you out more if they understood where you are coming from in your business model. Then the good suggestions will come flooding at you.No as a standard in the industry, but you can get custom solution and to pay for hosting account management. There are some web hosts who charge more for shared hosting but do some customer side work.I would say managed shared hosting is related to essentially taking care of all aspects of installing/updating/configuring 3rd party scripts, maybe even helping with addons and such as well...