managed hosting

webmasterbeta

if i wanted to have 1 server with my database and 2 with my main content would i be best hosting it in seperate locations or same dc ?Hi,

I believe this has nothing to do with managed hosting, as per the title of this thread.

I don't really understand your question, but if you have your data base in one data center, and the web site content in another data center, take into account the (big) lag that will cause between them. This would mean lower performance for your site...

Regards,First to answer your question,

I would put both servers in the same data center. However, DNS and backups (if possible) should be in a separate data center.

Second,

make sure your site/project really has a significant amount of usage before considering that kind of money.

i've done several sites in my life and several kinds of projects, and i've never had the need for 2 servers yet.

if you are just starting, or aren't very far yet, you might consider just hosing your mysql and content on one server for now. You can then use the extra money to purchase off-site backup and DNS systems.

Third,

My setup is a single server that runs everything but DNS. DNS is hosted on an offsite DNS cluster and backups are on an offsite server.

Fourth,

I recommend (especially on the database server) having (at the least) 2 harddrives in RAID 1 (mirrored).if i wanted to have 1 server with my database and 2 with my main content would i be best hosting it in seperate locations or same dc ?

You would almost certainly have to host them within the same datacentre, if you're talking two frontend servers and a backend SQL server, it's very likely the website is going to be a busy one. You could easily be doing 50mbps sustained SQL traffic between two different datacentres, not only will that cost you a fortune, you will also experience quite a large amount of lag on page loads.

(Suggest this thread is moved into Technical & Security issues?)

Danwhy would you want to go with two DC's? are you worried about losing connectivity? just go with a high quality center.why would you want to go with two DC's? are you worried about losing connectivity? just go with a high quality center. Most good DC will have more than 1 pipe in use, incase one does go down. DavidYou can not even think to separate those servers in different DC. If for some reason there is no connection between networks your web site will not work. Ask someone who is good in server administration to explain to you how does this kind of technology works.You can not even think to separate those servers in different DC. If for some reason there is no connection between networks your web site will not work. Ask someone who is good in server administration to explain to you how does this kind of technology works. Separate what? DavidI do not understand the logic of wanting a database server in a seperate NOC. Maybe you are thinking you want to have a back up in a seperate NOC? There would not be any benefit to having a site on a server in NOC1 and then having that server have to connect to NOC2 to then pull the information to NOC1 and then to the web user.