Laws in Canada regarding pets?

Nessa

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find what the laws are in Canada regarding selling puppies.<br />
I saw an ad online from a "breeder" trying to sell their puppies at 4.5 weeks old (not deposits either- they are saying the puppies are ready to go to their new homes at 4.5 weeks old). I need to know if that's even legal. I know its unethical.<br />
They are based in Manitoba, but I'm having a hard time googling any information on it. If anything I want to inform them if they are doing some illegal or inform someone who WILL do something about it. <br />
I never usually bother with stuff like this, but I am all too aware of the damage these people would be doing to these puppies and their potential owners.<br />
I just need can't believe someone would try to sell puppies at such a tender age. To me it should be 8 weeks *minimum*.<br />
Any information you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.<br />
Thanks NEKAI for the suggestion. I'm emailing the SPCA nearest to these peoples location. Hopefully they will at least look into it.<br />
Ièll try that link too. I just finished emailing the Shelter Manager nearest to these people. I had no clue who to email there was so different people listed. So hopefully she will read my email and know what to do. I gave her a link to the so called breeders ad and their website. <br />
I'll email the breeders to and tell them its illegal. Your right, it might at least stall them.<br />
I live in Alberta, and I have no clue what the laws are here either. I just remember reading a while back that the USA had laws in some places stating puppies had to be at least 6 weeks old. <br />
I'm hoping they have something like that in Manitoba too.<br />
I emailed -no puppy mills Canada- hopefully one of them will be able to help. There isn't anything else I can do now. I just really really hope something gets done about this.<br />

x_binkly_x

That is way illegal! The youngest anywhere they are allowed to be sold is 6 weeks. It is best to wait 8 weeks for bigger breeds and 12 for smaller breeds.

KipsMomWFM

Canada is large. It consists of 10 provinces and 3 territories. In addition, municipalities also have the right to enact legislation. So, you would have to research where the seller is to see what the laws are there.

NEKAI

As far as I know, it would depend in which province, as the laws differ from province to province.

Contact the SPCA or the municipal hall in which province/city this is in, and ask them. If there is no law, then at least suggest to them to check it out.

That's just horrible, disgusting!

ADD You can always email them and tell them it's illegal, they probably aren't smart enough to figure out if it's the truth or not. Might prevent one pup from being sold until the SPCA gets involved, right?

I've been lucky here in BC. Many of the SPCA officials do check up on people that I report. I hope they don't ignore this situation.

I contacted these guys a while back for some info, maybe they can help you?
http//www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/home.htm