i want to get big, in shape, and a good fighter. muy thai or jujitsu?

tfontana75

i am a fairly little guy that wants to be able to defend himself. i have weight trained in the past but want more. im not lookin to join the ufc or anything like that. what are the differences between and which is for me...muy thai or jujitsu. i also know a gym that offers boxing. which suits me best?<br />

THE

Muay Thai or jiu jitsu if you want to be a good fighter, Muay thai AND jiu jitsu if you want to be a better fighter

socalmark

The premise of BJJ is that most of the advantage of a larger, stronger opponent comes from superior reach and more powerful strikes, both of which are somewhat negated when grappling on the ground. The BJJ style includes effective use of the guard position to defend oneself from the bottom position, and passing the guard to dominate from top position with side control, mount, and back mount positions. This system of maneuvering and manipulation can be likened to a form of chess when performed by two experienced practitioners. A submission hold would be the equivalent of checkmate.

BJJ permits all the techniques that judo allows to take the fight to the ground. Once on the ground the opponents can continue to fight, and winning is usually the result of one participant "tapping out". In sport competition, matches are timed and can also be won by outscoring your oppenent by gaining dominent positions, and completing certain manuevers.

Popular techniques employed by practioners are the triangle choke, kimura, cross-choke, armbar, foot-locks, sweeps, and maintaining dominent positions. Fighting generally begins from the stand-up position and the fighters will work to take eachother down by employing a range of throws, sweeps, and other takedowns. Once on the ground, each oppenent will move to try and gain an advantageous position and apply techniques designed to force the oppenent into submission (tap out).

Muay Thai boxing involves combatents fighting in a stand-up fasion. The use of hand strikes, knee strikes, elbow strikes, and shin(leg) strikes is allowed. Fighters may also clench in an attempt to control their oppenent and land even more devastating strikes.

Thai boxers typically use the shin of thier leg because it is stronger than the foot. The shin is also used to block low leg kicks as well. Shin conditioning is a large part of Muay Thai training. There are many myths about how to properly execute shin conditioning. The most preferred method is through repeated kicking drills using a heavy bag. Please consult a professional trainer before attempting to condition your shins for fighting.

Thai boxing strikes are extremely powerful. One of the most effective strikes is the kick. The two most common kicks used by Thai boxers are known as the teep (literally "foot jab,"), and the TAE(kick)chieng (kicking upwards in the shape of a triangle cutting under the arm and ribs) or angle kick. The angle kick uses a rotational movement of the entire body and is somewhat similar to a karate roundhouse kick, but lacks the rotation of the lower leg from the knee used in other striking martial arts like Karate or Taekwondo. The angle kick draws its power entirely from the rotational movement of the body. Many practioners use a counter rotation of the arms to intensify the power of this kick.

Another powerful kick employed by fighters is the leg kick. This is a short and fast kick aimed at either the inner or outer portion of your oppenents leg. This kick is snapped and is very powerful. Against an unconditioned attacker, it is very plausible that one effective leg kick will persuade them from continuing their attack. Over the course of sport fighting, a correctly delivered series of leg kicks will stall your oppenent's ability to move and in many occasions will end the fight.

** Conclusion **

Both are great styles to become a good fighter. A mixture of both will make you a well rounded MMA fighter.

BadBoy11

I was feeling the same way haha. What I did was go to a local supplement store, got some weight gainer and some protein powder for protein shakes. I took the weight gainer things and started going to a local YMCA to lift weights and get stronger, after a few months of just the gym I started going to Jiu-Jitsu and Boxing classes. Basically here's how I turned out.

Starting weight 163 Current weight 204

Highest I could lift before 175 Current 250

That's after about 6-8 months of all of those things.

Komits

you didnt say anythign about yourself except that you have done weight trainingyou want to defend yourself any martial art can teach you that. the martial art that suits you best is the one that you like most and have the most fun doing. go try all thes classes and see whichone u like most then train in that.

CarlosH

Actually I do both and I am in shape and am well I dont mean to toot my own horn but Im pretty good. So if you can I would take both, but I enjoy muai thai just a lil more than ju jitsu.

BujinkanNinja

They are both good martial arts. It really depends on want you want to use it for. Muay Thai is a good stand up style while Brazilian Jujitsu is a good ground style. Don't limit yourself to just Muay Thai or Brazilian Jujitsu. There are so many other martial arts you can take that have more to them than Muay Thai or Brazilian Jujitsu. Why not take them both? If you can't afford that then take each one and see which one you like best and take it, get you black belt, then take another.

MarkW

I love BJJ but I would say go with Muay Thai if you only want to do one... It's better to stay on your feet. The ground is so unpredictable on the street becuase of the risk of hitting your head on the concrete, their friends joining in, glass. Where Muay Thai can give you the advantage.

I'd do both though.