I just want to scream...

wxdqz

Howdy all. I apologize right now for this post but I'm truly at the end of my rope with my "managed" server provider. I won't go into continued issues with hack attempts and all but the latest "unroutable domain" issue is driving me nuts. I love it when I submit a support request and the reply is "we can't ping that domain; looks like it's down." Funny thing is that every message I send out to different domains is bouncing, i.e. "unroutable domain" Amazingly enough, I successfully sent a message to one of the "problematic" recipients from my Gmail account. Wow, I guess it's everyone else's fault!!!

This is why I'm shopping for a new managed server provider as I don't have the time nor, admittedly, the knowledge to keep on top of all the exploits, patches, etc. Isn't that why I'm paying for "managed" service in the first place?

Anyway, thx to you all for letting me vent. :)

Regards,
KoryDo you have all the services running properly and the required ports open (i.e is there and firewall on system?)Howdy, paidhosting. Thx for your reply. Yeah, all the required services are running on the system and the required ports are open. I think the server might have been compromised as there are a lot of spam-type messages in the mail queue that didn't originate from any of my sites. I've asked the provider for help on finding the code that it might be pulling from but they're coming back with telling me to install mod_secu and phpsuexec with the caveat that my sites may break.

Not sure why they couldn't grep for the message content but maybe they don't know how to do that. I worked on it for a couple of hours before giving up and questioning why I'm pay for a "managed" server.

Regards,
KoryBut it's managed. They should install mod_security and phpsuexec FOR you. Infact, they shouldve already done it - it's managed, this is their problem. There are those who offer unmanaged, semi-managed and fully managed - from the sounds of it, you have a semi-managed which is acting like an unmanaged.Mind I ask who your provider is?hostingzoom.comliquidweb.comFully managed companies, HostingZoom is more managed than liquidweb though. With HostingZoom you don't get root access.Assumably they don't allow you root so you don't break anything. Smart move.Assumably they don't allow you root so you don't break anything. Smart move.

Yup. axishost.com is another fully managed company. No root either. They are updating their dedicated page. I suggest you send them a email and ask for a quote.Thx again for the feedback, everyone. Yeah, I would think they would do all that too. :( Exactly my point, Real-Hosts. Provider is Synergy Blue.

I have root access but I don't care if I do or not as I'd rather let the provider deal with the various management aspects.

I'll contact the various companies you mentioned, Hagane. Thx much!SynergyBlue?Hmm.. Never a good thing. I am aware of them from a seperate forum like WHT (forum2) however speak with them in the 'Host Only' section... I shall post a thread about, I think people should know they are very amateur.Thx, Real-Hosts. Yeah, they've always been very nice but, I'm sorry, nicety doesn't do it for me when my sites keep going up and down and I can't send email, especially when it comes to losing potential revenue, i.e. AdSense banner income. (The server isn't used for hosting but for running my own sites and about six other sites from colleagues; they're heavily database driven and receive about 3-5k unique visitors a day so a shared environment didn't do it for me anymore.)

Ironically, I'm have a separate reseller account with ResellerZoom, a division of HostingZoom, and always had good experiences with them. At the time, they weren't offering dedicated servers but now that they, I think I take a serious look at them. A bit more than what I'm paying now but it very well could be worth it.

Regards,
KoryPosted a thread for their Attn, and url'd them to this thread so they can have a look. I have no positive or negative experience with them, but bringing attention to it can bring about a resolution hopefully :)Good Luck.Thx again, Real-Hosts. I appreciate your time! I've also hired Rack911 to do a check on the server which I hope to have finished over the next couple of days. I'm a bit irritated that I need to hire a separate company to take care of a "managed" server and thought about asking SB to convert me to a semi or unmanaged plan. But, we'll see.

Either way, I hope it works out for all too.

Have a good one!

Regards,
KoryI don't know if this will help , but I had an issue where one of my hosting clients could not send emails to some of their clients. This was a corporate client and timely receptaion of their emails by their clients was critical. After more than a month of my server management company not being able to figure out what was causing this, I replaced the server. Didn't know what else to do. The issue continued. After getting a new server management company to look at the problem, they figured out the a several of my client's clients, at one time or another, had servers in my current DC. Long story short, there were legacy DNS records in the DC for these servers. So my client was sending email and it was never leaving the DC because of these antiquated records. MacBut it's managed. They should install mod_security and phpsuexec FOR you.

Absolutely. Also, I honestly don't think that's going to solve this problem for you. My advice would be to move or hire an admin company that can actually handle taking care of your server properly. Sounds like these guys either aren't interested or aren't competent enough.

--TinaActually, I've moved on to another server company as I simply don't believe they were competent enough to lock the box down. I had a major issue that was the last straw.

I haven't had any issues w/ the new server and, although DNS is a little slower, the new box includes the same features as the original one for $50 less per month. Support has been very responsive too, i.e. they added a new IP address for me, without question, in about 15 minutes.

Thx much for everyone's input. I greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
Kory