How do I update my vbulletin

eplexx2

I'm trying to update my vbulletin but I dont want to loose all my stuff on my old one. I was going to try and upload all the files but that might delete everything. Can someone help me on how to update my vbulletin to a newer version without loosing anything on the site? Thanks

bluescorpion

Make sure you have your site / database backed up before you start. What version are you running now, what version are you going to? Usually, you copy the new version files over your old version and run the "upgrade.php" NOT the "install.php" and depending on how many jumps you are making the upgrader will make all the changes for you. The problems you can count on having are with your templates in you custom styles. They will need to be upgraded as well.

alexD

No you upload the new files for the new version and overwrite them. Next you run the install file and it will prompt you to upgrade saying you currently have vbulletin installed and a big blue link saying upgrade is viewable. Depending on your version there can be a lot of steps or a few. Example is if your upgrading from 3.7.4 or 3.7.5 to 3.8.0 gold you have about 15 steps because you need the fixes in 3.8.0 alphs, beta 1, beta 2, beta 3, beta4, rc1, and rc2, and finally gold.

bluescorpion

alexD said:
No you upload the new files for the new version and overwrite them. Next you run the install file and it will prompt you to upgrade saying you currently have vbulletin installed and a big blue link saying upgrade is viewable. Depending on your version there can be a lot of steps or a few. Example is if your upgrading from 3.7.4 or 3.7.5 to 3.8.0 gold you have about 15 steps because you need the fixes in 3.8.0 alphs, beta 1, beta 2, beta 3, beta4, rc1, and rc2, and finally gold.

And this would be significantly DIFFERENT than what I suggested in what way? If you have been running vBulletin for any length of time or paid any attention to the official support site, from the vBulletin manual, for example:

With the newest vBulletin files uploaded to your web server, you can now proceed to run the upgrade script. To do this, point your web browser at http://www.example.com/forums/install/upgrade.php, replacing www.example.com/forums with the correct URL to your own vBulletin installation.

Don't give bogus advice! It doesn't help any of us...

applepod124

alexD said:
if you run /install/install.php it will delete your database. use /install/upgrade.php