help with .htpasswd authentication /apache on windows xp ?

thetownman

hi...i am having a problem trying to protect a folder with an .htaccess file and an .htpasswd ...<br />
now the same folder has the both files , this is the .htaccess <br />
<br />
AuthUserFile /c/wamp/www/php/.htpasswd<br />
AuthGroupFile /dev/null<br />
AuthName "My Private Directory"<br />
AuthType Basic<Limit GET POST><br />
require valid-user</Limit><br />
<br />
this is the .htpasswd <br />
username1123<br />
username2342<br />
<br />
now when i call that folder from the browser the password window pops up..but an internal server error will be encountered if i entered a username and a password and pressed ok...so please if you have a good explaining on how to fix this problem, i think its something with the configuration but dont know how to fix it ...thanks alot.<br />
hi...thanks but i dont think this is the reason....i forgot to say that i added the following lines to the httpd file in the configuration folder <br />
<br />
<Directory "/wamp/www/php"><br />
AllowOverride All<br />
Options None<br />
Order deny,allow</Directory><br />
<br />
now when i enter the wrong username/pass it pops up the window again..when i enter the correct info(which is stored in the .htpasswd) it says you are not authorized to view this folder ...i think the problem is simpler than what you provided...so if you still can help ...your help is appreciated alot.thanks.<br />

sixtiesradical

The internal server error is probably coming from the protected path, not from the authorization, which is already (or should be) complete by the time it occurs. Are you serving the output of a script. Does that script generate a proper HTTP header? (On a UNIX/Linux system, I'd ask if it had compatible file permissions, but on Windows, that concept is a lot more primitive.)