Genesis 19, Lots daughters?

LeeLee

Again, I'm not trying to discredit the Bible or Christianity; I just have a question. In Genesis 19 I get Lot trying to protect the Angels from the men wanting to hurt them, but why would he offer them his virgin daughters and tell them they could do whatever they liked with them?<br />

Chris

Because Lot was a sinner like all saved believers are. Saved believers are still sinners and aren't perfect.

PeterK

because the angels are holy and he reconigsed that but in the end the angels blind the people that tried to have sex with them

Sirius

I don't know why Lot gave his daughters to those men. That is a strange story. I think he may have did to get the rapist men from attacking him.

HallofSkulls

The Bible teaches immorality, not morality. The Bible was written by superstitious Bronze age goat herders. And yes, I am discrediting the Bible. Nobody has to do that, the inconsistancies in the Bible does it all by itself.

Deist

MichaelK

And why would he let Lot and his daughters have intercourse with him? Oh... maybe God turned his back and turned a blind eye on the whole thing.

Take the whole Bible, New and Old, with a grain of salt. A very large grain.

LogosLojic

He was wrong for doing so. But in no way did he have God's approval. Matter of fact, The angels struck the men with blindness.Not everything recorded in the Bible is accepted by God

TheGMC

Lot was surrounded by corruption. It had no doubt influenced him in his thought processes. I think he was numb enough to sin that he thought he should pick the "lesser" of two evils. What you must realize is that the Bible did not include that part because the writers didn't find anything odd about that. It obviously was an awful thing to do. Remember this. Not everything recorded in the Bible is condoned by it.

HereIAm

This offer threw the mob into confusion and proved beyond a shadow of doubt that they were an unrepentant lot who would continue to follow that same disgusting from of conduct that was in opposition to Jehovah. That is why Jehovah destroyed those 2 nations and all surrounding towns, because they would not change and leave their wicked ways.

Samuraikatagi

Because he knew that the angels were from God and therefore, they were more important than any human, so if he had to sacrifice his daughters for the angels, so be it.

sweetie_baby

Okay, Biblically,because he was saving the Angels from Sin, the men in Sodom wanted the Angels, and only they would do. They did not want the girls. Its a parable on the evils of Homosexuality. The men did not take the girls, instead the Angels made them blind.

TJ

Because He was making an error in judgment. Remember, the Bible is not a book about perfect people. Its a book about people who make tons of mistakes but God continues to love them despite their sins. The same is true today -- God loves you and I despite the moral errors we make. He desires a deep personal relationship with everyone. Please consider this. God loves you just the way you are.

GregoryS

It was a desperate plea to stop the wickedness by allowing his own children to be killed instead of the visitors.

since they were after the men he may have also known they would not want his daughters. He knew the men of Sodom craved the flesh of men instead of women.

DonY

The culture of the day placed an incredibly high value on the relationship of host and guest. Lot invited them into his house, and was honor bound to protect them as well. Offering the mob his daughters was his way of doing so.

Seems odd to you? Well, sure seems odd to me too! Lot was a sinful man just like everyone else, albeit evidently less so than those around him as God did send the angels to take him to safety.

If there's an easy answer, I don't have it, but there you go.

God bless.

Helen

He knew the men were not interested in girls, it was a gay city

Also, Lot knew that his visitors were angels

Deeds

He offered his daughters because he most likely knew of the account of Abraham and Sarah when they went to Egypt he asked Sarah to say that she was his brother in order that Abraham could continue living and while this put her at risk of being violated God protected her (Genesis 1211-20) So Lot knew that God would protect his daughters as well. A second reason he might have done this is to shock or confuse the men since they were a homosexually driven crowd. The daughters were also engaged to men of the city and so soon to be relatives could have been in the crowd and would speak up in their behalf. Even though Lot did this we have to remember that Lot was spoken of later in the Bible as a righteous man so his motives and reasons must have been pure (2 Peter 27-8) Hope this helps.