Dedicated managed hosting for business

wxdqz

I spent about 2 weeks looking for a good provider with dedicated managed hosting and still can not choose. I'm about to enable an ecommerce part on my website and looking for a good solution. My budget is $250-300/month but could go up to $400 if it worth the money. Some requirements:----------------------------OS: Linux (RHEL 4 would be nice)Tomcat (I use Java/JSP) Intel Pentium 4 (dual core is a plus)Memory: 2GB2x120GB SATA Raid 1 (SCSI for cheap would be nice)250GB+ BandwidthRemote Backup: 20GB24/7 Phone and Helpdesk Support 24/7 Service Monitoring1 hour hardware replacement (max 2 hours)Server Backup/RecoveryServer Security ScanningExternal Hardware FirewallCPanel would be nice since I get used to it I was looking at LiquidWeb but a few posts suggest that it is good for a personal/hobby sites but not a business. Plus they do not support Java. They can install Tomcat but I will need to handle everything related to it myself. Who would you recommend? If you are with your provider for more than 6+ months please drop a few words here. I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks!Maybe this topic should be moved to Dedicated Server Forum ?There any locations you're looking at specifically?I think it's probably in the correct forum.DanThere any locations you're looking at specifically? I think it's probably in the correct forum. Dan Good point, I forgot to mention. Location should be is US Thanks!I don't think 15minuteservers is a managed provider.ok, how about a good NON managed provider and I will add an 3rd party managed comapny?Something I didnt see in your post. Are you looking to only lease? Or something more long term such as a lease to own?Something I didnt see in your post. Are you looking to only lease? Or something more long term such as a lease to own?I'm new to this stuff but it might be a possibility.I'm new to this stuff but it might be a possibility.

Then you will need to know and understand each one. The most common difference is responsibility. Under a lease, the provider is "always" responsible for all hardware. If a stick of ram goes out, that cost and responsibility belongs to the datacenter or provider you are leasing from. Thats the upside, the downside is you cannot move to the server to another location if you choose to move.

Lease to own however, you may have 6 months coverage on all hardware depending on your agreement. After that time period, you are then responsible for the cost of all failed hardware. That's the downside, but the upside is once you have the server paid off, you can move it to any provider you want if you ever decide to do so.

So there are ups and downs of every side. It's all up to you as to what works best for you and what you want in the long term. While you are responsible for hardware costs eventually, many people choose the owned one because they know that further down the road it may be easier to move the whole box rather than going thru the trouble of setting another up like it with all the modules and configs needed, and then transfering the data from one box to another.

However, if you look at many large hosts, they strictly lease servers from various data centers so as to keep their overhead lower.Thanks for the explanation. I think I will lease for some time and have a separate company to do managed services. So far looking at Softlayer as dedicated server provider.