Can I do this with a VPS?

Sainciabino

Hi everybody.
Let's start with: I DO NOT have a vps yet, but I would like one.
I already know some things that can be done with a vps but I do not know if all of these can be done with ONE vps:

Hosting a Site or Multiple Sites
Hosting a vpn service for private (and friends) use
Using it with teamviewer (or any other software that allows remote control) to browse internet, download with idm, upload with filezilla etc.. (remote control from mac and windows)
*Optional* --> Installing RapidLeech or sBorg

So, can it be done with 1 VPS?
Which O.S. is better to install? How do I transfer my site that is on a shared hosting at the moment? How powerful should it be?

If any of you can link me the tutorial in order to do all of this it will be really appreciated :)

Thanks Yes, a VPS can do all that. The best OS to install is one of the server edition OS'es. Forget about the desktop versions, such as XP, Vista or Win 7.

To transfer your files from your shared hosting, you should do a home directory backup and it'll be in an archive format. Download that. Then how you restore your site depends on what panel you want to run on your VPS, or you're going to run panel-less etc. It's not easy but not impossible to move from shared hosting to VPS.

But, I suggest using a panel such as cPanel on your VPS. It'll be much easier for you to do. This way, all you have to do is create a shared account in your admin cPanel then do a full directory restore, which is uploading that archive file that you backedup and done! When you login to your newly created shared account, you'll see your whole directory as nothing was touched.

Research about cPanel/WHM. Assuming you're coming from a shared hosting, I think 512 MB RAM with less than 100 GB space will suffice your current need.

Edit: If you meant to do all those on one VPS. You better get a cheap dedicated server and create small VPS accounts to do each task. I think a cheap dedicated from kimsufi will be fine. It'll be about $55/month for their 16 GB RAM, server, which is pretty good. All of above can be done on ONE vps not sure all at the same time though! If you did manage to get it all on one VPS i think it would need a pritty good spec and connection. Sure, you can host multiple sites.
Depends on the OS, but generally yes!
Yes, the default windows RDP works great.
Yes, you can install filezilla server on the vps.
Yes, use xampp for windows or apachee/lightpd for linux.

I personaly prefer win2003 for best stabilty and preformances with just 1 gig ram!
biggrin.gif

and for all of these, I am sure you wont need any complicated tutorial, you can manage all of these in less than 30 minutes!

Regards dont "use xampp for windows" - use IIS. xampp is not supposed to be used for production servers. Quote: Originally Posted by jayfella dont "use xampp for windows" - use IIS. xampp is not supposed to be used for production servers. Agreed++