Brand new to domain registration...

webmasterbeta

Hi !!! Some of you might already know me... I'm a writer (not famous, not published, nothing... just a writer, on her own, sad and lonely... ok...), and I run my website on a free host : <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://enfantsdelo.free.fr">http://enfantsdelo.free.fr</a><!-- m -->
My boyfriend stated that "enfantsdelo.free.fr" is a relatively long name, and not easy to remember if I want to advertise.
In fact, the spelling easily leads to mistakes : enfantdelo, enfantsdeleau, and so on. (I'm French, just in case you wondered. The title means : children of ? and the sonority is very close to that of "children of the Water") and the free.fr is not really seomthing who might attract people to my website.
Since a few weeks, I've decided to do a major advertising campain (quite a laughable one, actually, like putting magnets everywhere, and giving cards with the website to everyone I meet... yeah... I'm not really in the advertising business..). So, I'd like to buy a domain name.
I read the stickies and I searched a bit through the internet. I'm still not sure where I'll buy my domain name, but that's not really the point.
I have a free host, and I'm not going to lose that... It's not so often that a host is free, without ads, with server-side technology available, and up to now, no bandwith limit (anyway, I'm not the 5000 visits per day kind... it's more 5000 visits in 3 years...). I'd like to be sure I can register a name and forward it to free.fr without paying a fee or anything. can you tell me if that's possible ?

Next, the domain name.. At first, I was settled on enfantsdelo.com. then, I realized I would get the same problems as with enfantsdelo.free.fr... What makes a good domain name ? Of course, the name of my book would have been a good choice, but it's too long... any idea for the maximum length of a domain name (62 characters, I know, I'm talking about the maximum acceptable, memorizable name) ? Any idea what could bring people in to read a book that is published FOR FREE on the internet ? I don't intend to make any profit with my book, I just want readers...

Thanks for your advice !

Ness