Brand new - need advice on an app.

liunx

Hi all. I'm completely new to designing the backend of things, and I have two clients that want to be able to modify their own sites.
The jist is this: one is a RE client - the only part of the site they want to change would be the database of houses and their corresponding photos and descriptions through an admin screen.
Any ideas on some WYSIWYG way I can do this w/o learning a boatload of details?
The other client wants an online blog, but with a front end I'll design - and I don't know how to incorporate the two.
Any suggestions?
ANY help will be very appreciated!
Thanksfirst and foremost, what you want can only be done with serverside language. now you don't want to learn a butt load of crap but it will only help in the long run.

you will have to learn something in order to make that buck, so on your backend you will need to edit the page so you have to use either perl, php, asp. then it will have to be saved to the database. that is the easy part. then on to the blog, well if you right a front end for that then you have to do a back end. I would suggest an easy way out on this and Download free blog script and incorporate it into the current design. that will be easier and the backend for that will already be intact.As I tell everyone who asks us what they should do when it comes to turning their page from HTML to something like ASP or PHP is, figure out what your web host allows as far as either of those languages and also what they allow as far as databases.

I'm guessing that if you've developed pages for people you're not being hosted by a "FREE" web hosting company, but if you are for some reason, then you may need to upgrade to a new web host.

Once you've figured all that out come back to us with what you're allowed to use and some specific questions on how to start and build what you need and then we can really start helping ya.The server I use can use php and SQL - I know I should write it in that language now, but I'm so unsure of what to do. I'm very familiar with DW MX if that helps (just not the advanced functions)With Dreamweaver you can kinda feal and find your way enough to almost learn it just by using some of their built in feature thingies.

If you create a PHP page and switch into the Code view, you get a toolbar across the top that has a bunch of tabs, one labeled PHP. Click on that PHP tab and there's a bunch of buttons that will insert the syntax for if statements and that sorta stuff. So, by using that functionality of DW MX and tutorials you can find online, you can quickly get fluent enough to the point where you can develop most of it yourself and just bounce your ideas off us out here.

I, personally, would get a book. You can get em on eBay for about $15 and that way you can really learn your stuff. Your site is always going to be only as good of an app as you are as a developer - so, if you're really serious about this sorta stuff, learn as much as you can.

Any DW questions, I can answer probably quite decently cause it can be tricky getting use to it as far as coding with it goes.I've looked at books, but what I need is one that'll really focus on my needs, otherwise I'm not going to learn much. I'll go to B&N tomorrow and see what they have.