Argh!!!! Stupid Wi-Fi!!!!?

KevinY

I need help, don't know whether it's the USB's or the computer's fault. Leaning toward the computer though.<br />
<br />
When I stick the USB in, nothing happens. Normally my computer would make a loaded noise and the Wi-Fi icon appears shortly after, but now absolutely nothing. Also yesterday, I stuck it in, and Wi-Fi came up, then disappeared like 10 mins later, then came back again like half an hour later, then left again like 20 mins after that, and so on. What could be wrong?<br />
<br />
Also just for the future, is there a correct way of using the USB? Normally I just stick it in, leave it in the USB slot until I no longer plan on using it, right click on the Wi-Fi icon to stop it from running, then take the USB out. Is that ok?<br />
loading noise*<br />
Sorry, I hope this makes sense.<br />
Thanks for your input guys, but it's still not working. Could low memory space on the computer be a problem?<br />

xjessie007

You could have a problem with the wifi driver. Go to the manufacturer's website and download driver, install on your machine and see if it helps.

I assume you tried other USB ports, right? Sometimes, if one does not work for some reason, others might work. If your wifi does not work with any USB port, then the problem is with the wifi.

After your wifi dies after a while, check your Hardware Device Manager (Control Panel -> System), and see if there is any conflict with either your wifi or usb.

Also, check your event logs for any errors. (Start -> Run -> mmc [enter])

You are using it correctly. It is always good idea to disable the device softwarewise and then pull it out, especially with flash devices.

http//www.Maxi-Pedia.com

artf

when you have the usb stick in check the device manager to see if the device is installed properly
If there are no red xs or exclamation marks then it most likely is
if not - you need to install the device
You may have the wrong driver ,installed it wrong
there may be an upgrade to the driver at the maker's site
wi fi is not 100%
its high tech and impresses people
but it can never be as stable or as fast as standard ethernet cable
99 % of all wireless problems can be solved by simply changing the channel
Your neighbors signals can drift in out of the blue , long distances
You will get a strong signal but no internet
simply change the channel
you can use any other of the 12 channels
channel 1 and 11 are first picks
make sure that the router is high and not cluttered
one major help - if the usb is close to the computer ( especially behind the metal case of the computer and shielded) invest in a usb extension cable ( 3 - 6 ft or so) so that you can move the usb wireless network adapter high and away from the computer for better reception
as per pulling out the usb when running - i am told that usb is the one
thing that you can pull out when the computer is running
as per the sound missing - check whether the usb device is installed totally and properly ( as per above in device manager) and check that your sound volume is not low or even muted accidentally
a very useful program for managing home networks is network magic
the free version will be fine for your needs

http//networkmagic.com/

useful help site for routers

http//portforward.com/routers.htm

a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing
in this case the problem may well be the knob behind the keyboard