Any 3rd server management company which charges you by ticke

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I only need something like 0-2 tickets per month so I'm wondering if there is any reliable 3rd server management company which charges you by ticket/minutes? If so it would be best one that give support to servers with webmin, VHCS or even a server without panel.There are a number of companies out there which provide ticket based support. You'll have to do a bit of research for them, but they exist.

There is a problem with your request though, whether you see it or not:
99% of the work that a system admin does is not initiated by the user. It is initiated by alerts, security logs and the like.

By going with "per ticket" administration, you waive that, because you're asking the admins to only look into things when you open a ticket.

As well, if the company offers something like monitoring, y ou waive that as well, because, you have chosen to ONLY purchased per ticket administration from them.

A true systems admin will analyze your logs for problems with your server. This, of course, is waived when you choose per-ticket administration, because they're not going to just give up their time freely like that.There are a number of companies out there which provide ticket based support. You'll have to do a bit of research for them, but they exist.There is a problem with your request though, whether you see it or not:99% of the work that a system admin does is not initiated by the user. It is initiated by alerts, security logs and the like. Are you sure about that? I thought it is quite the contrary.Anyway $45 USD for server management (with webmin) seems to be a lot for me because I only need an average of 1 ticket per month while the average of the servers managed by third companies is aprox. 25 tickets per month.Averages:45/25 = 1,8 € per ticket45/1 = 45 € per ticketI assume this can't be calculated in this way because they are fix prices like monitoring, proactive, etc. But anyway I think that I would be paying too much.Are you sure about that? I thought it is quite the contrary.

Well, you thought wrong. 99% of the work any admin does is behind the scenes, without any request by the user.

A good systems admin goes through system logs, keeps servers secure, updated, etc. This is why you end up paying $50+/month for any decent security plan.

If you think about it, $40/month is too low for any plan. Yes, you say you only want one thing/month, but is that enough to keep things secure, or monitored, or even up? Unless you have some ub3r Linux skills, generally it's not.Greetings:

Solid server administrators with 5+ years of experience typically earn no less than $50,000 per year plus two weeks vacation time, 3+ days of sick time, 2+ days of personal time, majority company paid health care (or completely paid, depending on the size of the employer), matching retirement contributions, and a company provided retirement plan.

Typically the cost to the employer can range from 1.25 to 1.33 of the salary.

Since most businesses are for profit, the business will want to charge enough money so that the services done by each server administrator

1. Covers the cost of the server administrator
2. Covers a portion of operating expenses.
3. And in the end allows for a fair profit.

That being said, $50 per hour is often times extremely low.

I cannot speak for all geographic areas, but try going anywhere in the North East to contract a solid network administrator (often the skill sets are similar) from a networking company.

The general contract rate on the East Coast ranges from $90 to $200 per hour.

Thank you.dynamicnet,

I'm sure you're a great admin but I feel you and your associates value your time based on what you want to receive and would like your potential customers to feel compelled to pay rather than the market price.

Yes, there are those who have solid reputations and are able to fetch $100 - 200/hr due to their experience and reliability, however, that is not to say that your competition is not willing to charge significantly less and that said company has found employees that are willing to work for < $50,000/yr.

Is your time worth $90/hr? Perhaps, but that is not to say that other admins with a similar level of quality are not worth less according to the market.

EDIT: I should add that my company's rates and salaries are inline with what you have stated, so by no means am I trying to bash you. I'm simply stating that I know there are others who are more competitive than you and I.Greetings Jeff:

"said company has found employees that are willing to work for < $50,000/yr."

Typically those employees who work for less than $50,000 per year are entry level to less than five (5) years experience.

Last year we hired a recent graduate from a local college. We started them off in the high $30K, and was working them to the low $40K. In approximately six months after working with us they left us for a job that paid $60,000 per year, including all of the benefits I mentioned plus their spouse was also included in the free health care, and they get around $25,000 per year in company-paid training.

Please note in the end, they still had less than one year, hands-on, experience.

Typically those who are very good get paid very good. If they get paid a lot less, then, personally, I would question as to whether they were very good at what they do.

Thank you.sorry to chime in here but it definately shows that dynamic cares about their employees and the job they do. I had them complete a job for me not too long ago and they are excellent. Advice was given and explained why their way was superior than how I thought it was to be accomplished. Everything was laid out razor sharp what they were doing and how it would affect the server and it was all very professionally done. I LOVED doing business with them, only regret is that I don't have much work for them right now haha, but I suppose that is a good thing. H-Sphere was setup like a rockPeter and Crew are great people to work with.I have dealt with the cheap companies and to sum it up: no thanksGreetings Jeff:

"said company has found employees that are willing to work for < $50,000/yr."

Typically those employees who work for less than $50,000 per year are entry level to less than five (5) years experience.

Last year we hired a recent graduate from a local college. We started them off in the high $30K, and was working them to the low $40K. In approximately six months after working with us they left us for a job that paid $60,000 per year, including all of the benefits I mentioned plus their spouse was also included in the free health care, and they get around $25,000 per year in company-paid training.

Please note in the end, they still had less than one year, hands-on, experience.

Typically those who are very good get paid very good. If they get paid a lot less, then, personally, I would question as to whether they were very good at what they do.

Thank you.

I'm only a couple years out of college myself ;)Greetings Jeff:

Congratulations, and know that as you apply yourself and persevere, you have value.

As I stated, the recent college grad we had, who left on extremely friendly terms though we wanted him to stay, left to work for $60,000 per year plus a lot more benefits than we could ever offer.

Good server administrators are hard to find, and typically do command a lot of value in terms of the compensation package they receive.

===

Greetings AvailNetworks:

Thank you for your kind words of encrouragement.