[AJAX] Helpful Answers - Allow users to rate individual posts

MobileHacks

Every day your users contribute hundreds if not thousands of posts making it hard for new members and guests to separate out the best answers from those that are less helpful. The Helpful Answers System offers your members a quick way (AJAX) to rate individual posts as either helpful or not allowing future visitors to understand the benefits of each post.

Designed for maximum flexibility:

This addon is built to be flexible and offers several customization options including:
  • The ability to use image or text ratings.
  • The ability to offer yes/no or scaled 1-10 point ranking.
  • The ability to turn off negative ratings for a positive only system.
  • The ability to decide which forums are open for helpful answer ratings.
  • The ability to audit the system and identify top users and potential abusers.
  • The ability to ban specific members from using the system.
  • The ability to customize the AJAX message shown after a post is rated.
  • The ability to edit all text and messages through phrases.
  • The ability to show a page with the top helpful posts.
  • The ability to show rating stats on a user's profile.
  • Integration with the reputation system for ratings.
  • Template driven display that can easily be customized to your forum.
For advanced users template conditionals and variables let you further extend the functionality to color highlight good or bad posts, include ratings in user’s profiles and much more.

Load & Scale:
This addon is designed to work with small to large sites and is currently being used by sites with more than 2 million posts. If you have questions about integrating with your big board please contact me.

Modification Installation:
This addon requires uploading multiple files, installing a vBulletin product and enabling the feature in any forums you wish. No template modifications are required. Please see the included install file for detailed instructions.

If you are not seeing the rating bar double check that you have enabled the feature in the forum you are in and insure the Manual Template override option is not enabled.

Rating Review & Deletion:
To identify and remove abuse a reporting system is included with this addon and can be found in your vBulletin ACP under the Helpful Answers tab. Through this panel you will be able to view a user's overall rating history and individual ratings and can remove either if necessary. Users can also be explicitly banned from the system.

Reputation System Integration:
Helpful Answers can be extended to directly tie into your reputation system giving users positive or negative points based on the ratings of their posts. There are numerous options on how to handle ratings that can be found in a separate Helpful Answers Reputation part of your vBulletin Settings page.

Anonymous Stats Tracking (optional):
vBulletin forums reach millions of consumers around the world yet little is known about their habits and opinions. This addon was released to the public out of requests but also to further the research of forum user's behaviors and actions through collecting the most basic data on thousands of sites.

By default this addon will pass basic rating data (positive or negative) to a 3rd party site for statistical purposes. Only the most basic data is captured (the vote and your site name) and no user information or specific forum details are logged, not even an IP address.

While you may disable this feature through the administrative options I ask that you consider leaving it in place to help this research effort and insure the continued support of the addon.

The tracking feature uses the php library cURL on a 5 second timeout. If cURL is not installed this option is automatically disabled.

Updates:
07/07/2009 - Release of 1.8.4 update
06/07/2009 - Release of 1.8.3 update
04/27/2009 - Release of 1.8.1 update
04/26/2009 - Release of 1.8.0 update
03/29/2009 - Release of 1.7.0 stable

zx9

PHP:
CREATE TABLE `helpfulanswer` (
      `helpfulanswerid` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
      `postid` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
      `userid` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
      `yesno` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
      `dateline` INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
      KEY `helpfulanswerid` (`helpfulanswerid`),
      KEY `postid` (`postid`),
      KEY `userid` (`userid`)

missing 'ENGINE', missing 'AUTO_INCREMENT' , 'PRIMARY KEY ' ??
Missig, 'Positive & Negative Icons images'
-

MobileHacks

Upgrading to 1.3.3
Version 1.3.3 of this addon fixes 3 database related bugs with this addon most important of which is the creation of a table used to store votes. All users should upgrade by uploading the new version of helpfulanswer.php and installing the plugin file. Users who have experienced errors may wish to uninstall the addon before upgrading.

zx9

MobileHacks said:
Upgrading to 1.3.3
Version 1.3.3 of this addon fixes 3 database related bugs with this addon most important of which is the creation of a table used to store votes. All users should upgrade by uploading the new version of helpfulanswer.php and installing the plugin file. Users who have experienced errors may wish to uninstall the addon before upgrading.

Now, working.
Thank's

MobileHacks

Tips & Tricks Using Template Variables:

While the Helpful Answers section may appear to only add to a small part of your post it can be used much more extensively to change the color of an entire post, to add a special icon or just about anything else you like. Here are list of the variables available for your templates and a few sample conditions you can use with them:
PHP:
$post[totalrank] - The total number of ratings
$post[goodrank] - The number of good ratings
$post[badrank] - The number of bad ratings
$post[helpfulgood] - True if the post is positive overall (more good than bad ratings)
$show[rate_helpfulanswer] - True if the user can rate the post (false if they are banned or have rated it).
$post[helpfulanswerid] - True if the user has already rated the post.

VADOS [Dj];71361 said:

VADOS [Dj]

Thanx!

But did condition list has been changed?
I know about $post[overallrank] (and I suggested this condition by myself to author), but is there any new conditionals?

ketchapay

Finally got it working... how do I stylize this? Never mind... figured this one out. It's under the "Help..." category of the template.

h@ck3r

I got this error when importing the plugin:

helpfulanswerserror.jpg

Is this anything to worry about?

What's the problem? :/

Edit: Nevermind. I think this could be a great hack, but it conflicts with my 'Post thanks' hack.

It moved my 'Thanks' down into the 'Helpful answers' section.

Also, another error:

When I first installed the plugin, it was set to use a thumbs up/ thumbs down rating system. I tested it out on a post, by clicking 'thumbs up'.

Then I changed the setting to 1-10 rating.

I was unable to reset the counters via the CPanel, and when I logged in as another users and rated the post 10/10, it then showed as 5.5/ 10 by 11 votes, despite the fact that only 2 members had voted.

Lastly- I'm pretty sure this slowed down the load-time of my cyb advanced statistics hack.

This could be a very good hack, but needs some work on it before it is finished.

MobileHacks

what do you mean before its finished it is finished
i also use post thanks hack and this works perfectly so i suggest you re check read the setting in acp some setting will not work when other setting are enabled!!!

h@ck3r

MobileHacks said:
what do you mean before its finished it is finished
i also use post thanks hack and this works perfectly so i suggest you re check read the setting in acp some setting will not work when other setting are enabled!!!

Yes but WHICH post thanks hack are you using?

I see a few different VERSIONS of 'Post thanks'. Perhaps you have no conflicts between these 2 hacks because you are using a different version to me.

I read all documentation for this, checked settings 3 or 4 times, and the errors persist.

I shared MY experiences with this hack here with other members.

I'm sorry if you feel this is 'finished', but I happen to believe it needs another update with a few things changed before it is 'finished'.

I'm not sure whether or not your the developer of this hack or not, but if so- I would have thought you would welcome constructive criticism and logs of our experiences.