Advice me: shared, VPS or dedicated for an online magazine?

webmasterbeta

HiI need your advice about our new project.We are going to setup a little online magazine based on joomla and phpBBwe think that at beginning there will be about 2000 users and 2 Gb per day.Please advice me: do we really need a shared hosting, a VPS or a dedicated server?We need a full managed service however.we are in Italy, cPanel is our favourite and joomla needs mod_rewite, GD and other usual stuff on linux/apache/MySqlThanksVPS probably :)You mean 2000 servers at once or spread across the day?Even shared could do fine if its on a per day basis. If 2k users are on at once (more than WHT? :eek:), multiple dedicated servers please.beginning there will be about 2000 users and 2 Gb per day.Note he said 'per day' - not 'at once'.I think a VPS would be more than capable of handling your website.Depending on your budget I would start with a somewhat high-end VPS, but would make sure they can scale your future growth. Any good VPS provider can move your VPS to its own dedicated machine with minimal downtime.There is no way to answer this question without knowing more information:

- How many users online at the same time?
- How large is the site/database?
- What specs of a vps and dedicated server are you comparing?
- How soon do you expect to grow? and by how much?
- What else will you be doing on the site (ie, frequent member mailings)
etc....Thank you

There is no way to answer this question without knowing more information:

- How many users online at the same time?

about 20-30

- How large is the site/database?

it's a monthly magazine with a little forum, not a large db

- What specs of a vps and dedicated server are you comparing?

no one at this moment

- How soon do you expect to grow? and by how much?

until 4-5000 user/day after 1 year

- What else will you be doing on the site (ie, frequent member mailings)

No mailing, just photos and textsI would suggest you to get a dedicated server. I presume you would be able to start with powerful VPS, but you'd need your own server anyway. So find any good EU based web host. I think it would be better to use Eu based host due to be able to claim VAT and etc.You aren't going to need even a VPS, a well optimized forum with 1000 users on at a time can scale fine on a shared server. You can save some money by getting a high end shared host like MediaLayer. A VPS will work fine also, but for that kind of forum, you really don't need it.What kind of forum software are you using?I don't know why people here are suggesting VPS and that too highend ones, for such a small site. Are you guys running your servers on a PIII?His site is just average and you should do fine with shared hosting. No problems at all. DreamHost, Servage, HostGator, anyone would support such a site like yours.You would require a VPS only if you want some special requirements which aren't offered in the shared plans other wise there isn't a need for a VPS at the moment atleast. I don't think you would need a VPS even after a year, assuming you are going to get 5-6k/day. Thats still less to upgrade to a VPS.Vps Takes more time to manage. you will away of much trouble if you use shared hosting.Vps Takes more time to manage. you will away of much trouble if you use shared hosting. ;)Ant, going with vps or dedicated server is wasting your money. 20-30 users online at the same time, you still have room for expanding with a good shared hosting account.Thank you guys

I'm a little confused. My question remains without answer. Someone suggests me shared, someone VPS, someone dedicated.
I don't know.for cPanel host, contact Chris at cyberwurx.com. He can offer you shared and dedicated server. The support team there is very good. I was be there nearly 3 years, so I can be sure about it. I moved out because we have many customers in Asian. Using west coast will give us a little more performance. In fact, I have plan to colo some servers there again soonfor vps, fluidhosting located in east coast can give you a good accountI say a dedicated server would be good, and with the right amount of bandwidth and hard disk space may be good... If you use a VPS you would need lots of bandwidth and hard drive space, because storing lots of files can exceed a 1GB-3GB HD Limit.I believe, you should go for a dedicated server.I vote for shared all the way.I have a strong feeling that all those who suggested you to go for a dedicated / vps use P4 and Pentium Ds as their shared hosting server. Not the way to go guys.Just get a shared hosting solution from- DreamHost.com- Servage.netEnd of story!VPS to say the least and move on to dedicated dont go near sharedI would say a average VPS would do the job. My proxy receive's 4k uniques daily, and it runs fine with 256MB ram (DirectAdmin)I say a dedicated server would be good, and with the right amount of bandwidth and hard disk space may be good... If you use a VPS you would need lots of bandwidth and hard drive space, because storing lots of files can exceed a 1GB-3GB HD Limit.A dedicated server? You have got to be joking! Sure it would be a great idea if you had a site 10 times that size, or you wanted the reliability of a dedicated server, but what they need is a shared server. Not a VPS, not a Dedicated. Based on the information given, a VPS would be a waste of resources, and again, that site could last for at least a year on a good shared host given the expected growth pattern.1-3 GB is nothing, space isn't the issue here, almost any shared plan will be able to accommodate that.At any given time, depending on the host, especially a top host like godaddy or dreamhost, in shared hosting environment, it can take up more than their alloted system resources, space isn't the matter its rather the ram etc.Just to be on the safe side and not get suspended automatically and for the fact your running a online magazine which will come to require much bandwidth, it might eat up system resources as well.Be on the safe side and go with a VPS, your already having decent traffic, getting suspended for 10 days from a host whose system accidentally did it because you used more than "5% of resources", is not a excuse for daily visitors, get real and be solid in your choice. VPS Is a great starter for a website like yours, eventually build up to a dedicated.for that kind of traffic/users i highly recomend you to use an vps server, an dedicated server or an real business shared hosting account (about 30 to 40$ /month) - no cheap masshosting company who earns 6$/month will allow this load long

regards,
ChrisThank you well said chrisNo shared hoster in the world unless starting up or oversold will let you run such a site for that cheap "under $10" kind of stuff.VPS is being assured of uptime, and dedicated is if you want to take it even further notch with the incoming traffic increasing.Hi!I believe VPS would be the better solution than shared one, although shared hosting can accommodate your requirement but i am suggesting VPS after considering the hazes of shared hosting and making sure the services must have room for future expansion so that one can concentrate on his business completely without worrying of technical issues.Regards,I wonder if you might consider something like MediaTemple, I represent several media/news organizations who put their 'microsites' (like election guides, blogs, and discussion boards) on MediaTemple's GridService.In my informal testing and experience with MediaTemple's various services (grid and VPS), they support up to around 350,000 pageviews per month on the $20 plan, and they're not going to cut you off if you reach your allotment of CPU time, the overage charge is pretty fairly priced.That number assumes a fairly standard discussion board type setup (I've tested using several CMS and board software).