A different motivation for Jamaica's ace sprinter Usain Bolt?

YouandI

Do we get too wrapped up in world records? And in Bolt's case, what cultural moorings may operate to devalue his estimation of achieving an unbeatable world record?<br />
<br />
====<br />
"BEIJING ? Imagine if he had really tried. Pounding his chest, turning up the palms of his outstretched arms, mugging for the cameras before he even crossed the finish line, Usain Bolt rewrote the record books again and captured his first Olympic medal Saturday, toying with the field and running the 100-meter dash in a stunning 9.69 seconds.<br />
<br />
His left shoe was untied when he crossed the finish line. Not that it mattered much. He could've walked across...."<br />
<br />
http//www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,404942,00.html<br />
<br />
It seemed like it could have been a Bob Beamon moment and I felt just a little cheated.<br />

I3mySuby

I bet they do care about records. Somebody wins gold every event every Olympics. Only a hand full of people are record holders and that can be a huge accomplishment.

G

His main priority was to win Gold not to break the WR.... i'm sure breaking a world record, especially in such a tough event, is esteemed and recognized as much in every country regardless of 'cultural moorings'.

targetbutt

A friend of mine told me that Bolt really was slowing down on purpose. I checked out his comment and sure enough, some track meets in Paris for example gave out cash prizes upwards of $100,000 for breaking world records. Bolt was probably saving some gap so he can break the record again when there's cash at the finish line.

Who can blame him if that really was his motivation?