3rd Party DNS

admin

Administrator
Staff member
We are looking for a good 3rd party DNS provider in reasonable price. Almost 300000 unique visitors visit our site daily.

I have found DNS Made Easy, what do you guys say about it?Not sure about DNS Made Easy, but I've had some great experience with DynDNS. I love their service-- easy to setup, fast, and cheap. Have you looked at their service?I use dnsmadeeasy for my domains and I have to say they are pretty top notch. I haven't had a single issue with them at all.I will second the recommendation for DNS Made Easy although we have only been using it for a few weeks.We use it because of its distributed architecture in addition to its ability to monitor your site and provide failover functionality.-RobertHave been using DNS Made Easy for a couple of years and would recommend nothing else. Neustar Ultradns is "surpose" to be good also, however their prices are outrageous. They quoted us a price which was 1000 times more expensive per month than DNS Made Easy and that was with a 40% discount from their regular prices! Unfortunately we forget to ask them how many games of golf were included in that price :DIt looks everybody likes DNS Made Easy:)Hi,We've also used DNS Made Easy and have been really impressed with their service in the past.gyro, is this site with 300,000 unique visitors "your" site or a site that you help administer (aka your customer's / client's)?

If it's your site (as in you own it) then you have to use DNS Made Easy. We have used them for many years and have never had a problem. You just can not markup DNS Made Easy enough to make a lot of money on it. But they run an excellent IP anycasted network and have hundreds of thousands of clients and many high profile ones like heineken.com, laquinta.com, everlast.com, hardrock.com, and dnsstuff.com (which is the #1 DNS resource site in the world). I even just noticed that the Better Business Bureau (bbb.org) uses them in a Vanity DNS setup. I realized this when I was renewing our BBB contract and decided to do my normal lookup when I'm bored. :eek:

If it's your customer's site then you HAVE to use UltraDNS. They host sites like amazon.com, oracle.com, forbes.com and many other HUGE sites. The nice thing about UltraDNS is that their pricing is just completely outrageous. The excellent thing about UltraDNS is that their list pricing is just stupid-silly outrageous. In fact it's almost an April fools joke gone bad. :blush:
But since you can very frequently get a sales person that is desperate for a sale (HINT they are just about 100% commission based) you can get about 50% to 60% off of list pricing.

For instance just the other week we had this one client that list price at UltraDNS was about $60,000 per year. But we were able to get it for $27,500. We charge the client $42,000 and they were still happy since it was UltraDNS and they host Amazon.com also!!! :) That's $14,500 for doing nothing but setting up the deal.
If you client is technical though I warn you, "do not" have them talk to UltraDNS. Their sale jargon is full of holes and their sales people (even their sales engineers) know very little about DNS and often sound like morons. But overall, you can upsell UltraDNS a lot more and make tons of money. :cool:

There is NO ability to do that with DNSMadeEasy. This same service with DNS Made Easy would be $60 per year (no I am not missing any digits there) and it would be just as good (IP anycasted and everything). In fact many people of compared the two and DNS Made Easy is often faster in both changes and query speeds. But even if we charge our $220 per hour consulting rate it would only be about $500 profit. $500 profit or $14,500 is a no-brainer. ;) So we always start with UltraDNS depending on the client.

Not sure about DNS Made Easy, but I've had some great experience with DynDNS. I love their service-- easy to setup, fast, and cheap. Have you looked at their service?

Voyagerx1, I have to disagree with you here. DynDNS is non-anycasted and they are actually really expensive next to DNS Made Easy. If I wanted to pay that much for non-anyasted DNS servers then I'll just run something in my house next to my Wii. PLUS, being a ex-customer of them, I have never been treated so rudely before.BuffaloBill, thanks for such a detailed reply.

I want to use it for our own site which has almost 250,000 unique visitors per day.I apologize if anyone feels I am hijacking this thread, but I actually logged in to post a question about DNS Made easy!I have two private name servers (ns1.mydomain.net and ns2.mydomain.net) set up on my domain which I use on a VPS to run a small, hosting service. I was searching for ways to improve the DNS reliability of my hosting service and was pointed to the option of using Vanity nameservers from DNSMadeEasy any-casted network. The beauty of this service is that the nameservers can have my company's name (ns3.mydomain.net instead of ns3.dnsmadeeasy.com). EasyDNS, for example, also provides vanity nameservers, but don't allow naming them after your own domain.To cut a long story short- do the DNS experts here recommend that I sign up for the vanity ns service for my purposes? I don't understand the failover stuff yet, but I am looking for the benefit of any-casting so that even if my primary nameservers fail, my clients will have DNSMadeEasy's secondary nameservers to fall back upon. None of my client sites have anywhere near the traffic mentioned by the OP, but I want to do this to distinguish myself from other hosting services and also provide greater DNS stability to my clients.Thanks in advance.anyone ever try ultra DNS?anyone ever try ultra DNS?Yes.. A couple of times for personal DNS... They worked very well actually..anyone ever try ultra DNS?

Yes, I have used them for years and will continue to do so. They are very very good. I would recommend them all of the time at first (see post above for reasoning).

We always tell people to use UltraDNS or DNSMadeEasy.Not sure about DNS Made Easy, but I've had some great experience with DynDNS. I love their service-- easy to setup, fast, and cheap. Have you looked at their service?

I have a client setup on DynDNS a year ago and will concur that their service is good. However, DynDNS will not allow you to have other DNS server entries in your DNS setup. Must be all DynDNS.

I am working with a client to setup DKIM for their domains. Client just informed me that DynDNS does not support DNS TXT records > 512 bytes. So we need to find another DNS provider.

Another DNS provider that we have used is Nettica which is also good service.