1And1 -- Do not use them!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I just got out of a terrible three-month battle with 1And1 billing.I bought a domain in March 2007 and never used it. In march of 2008 I cancelled my account three days before the deadline.Due to some kind of error in THEIR system, they proceeded to charge me $6.99 for the domain and an additional $18.95 in "collection fees".However, I did not find out about this until mid-may, with a debt collection notice sent to me by a company called NCO.I sent off letters to both NCO and 1And1 in protest. A month later, NCO sent me a letter back saying the case had been closed. I called up 1And1 to verify this (because I don't want my credit score being screwed up by this), and they sent me into a huge back-and-forth between NCO and 1And1. Each one says it's the other's responsibility! You have no idea how frustrating it is to go through the same 5-minute story for each side, a different person EVERY TIME. And then answer the same questions from each side for ANOTHER five minutes! I've enlisted the help of my aunt who graduated from Yale Law.... hopefully she can help me convince these psychos at 1And1 and NCO that I should not have to pay for these outrageous charges.Had you gone through their TOS carefully? Try initiating a chat with some representatives over there.probably you should talk with someone over phone and sort this out. The support representatives may not be able to assist you fully over thisI almost got into that problem, though I was lucky and caught it just before they were preparing to send it to NCO.(<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=5179611#post5179611">http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthrea ... ost5179611</a><!-- m -->)Call their 800 number and request to speak to a supervisor. Their email support is a joke, as evidenced in my posting above.Email support is indeed lacking, they often simply don't reply. Phone is always best, make notes as you go along as it can be stressful (obviously) dealing with situations such as this. Stay calm and collected and you should get it all sorted out quickly and relatively painlessly.I bought a domain in March 2007In march of 2008 I cancelled my account three days before the deadline.So you cancelled your account before the year was up? So you pay standard cancelation fees for closing an account before the contract is up.Many companies do this.Although I sympothise as it was a few days it would have been nice to just let it pass. But there has to be a cut off point somewhere1and1 i dislike too. The systems are slow at times for me the control panel is bulky. but some hosts are good and some are bad. and some just wired.I host 1/4 of my domains at 1and1, I have wanted to make the switch to my other provider but haven't yet. I've had the same exact problem as you, I've been sent to collections with NCO and have had to fight them.They took a whole domain package with 10 domains purchased in it. And deleted it entirely!!! Without notice or confirmation, the reason they said they deleted the package which had 10 domains in it was."Domain *********** is 30 days overdue, this domain package was canceled and deleted. You must now contact NCO to settle your bill."I replied back with, but that is only 1 domain I owed money on, $6.99. So you go and delete all 10 of my domains that have been paid and are not anywhere close to their expiration date?I was so angry with 1and1 for doing that, I still have my 10 domains in LIMBO I have no idea weather I will get them back or not.Best bet is to go with a better provider. 1and1 are snobs and have ZERO customer service. All of them are offshore support paid $2.00 an hour pppffftt my rant is over!