Why was this forum section created?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I've looked around for an announcement on why this forum section was created, but have not been able to find any. Could an upper-moderator point me in the right direction or explain why it was created here.

I frankly don't see a need for this forum section, it's only going to split the posts made in "Dedicated Servers". Instead of looking in one spot for dedicated servers, we'll now have to go to two places.Why not? Easier to manage :)
Also it isnt that bad anyway, its just a forum. a small little forum which you wont notice so much anyway.Well, things like platinumserver... etc dont do dedicated servers, they do 3rd part management, so that type of service needs its own area :)Originally posted by blackbm
Why not? Easier to manage
Also it isnt that bad anyway, its just a forum. a small little forum which you wont notice so much anyway.

I don't see how two places is easier to manage than one :-/ If this was for organizational purposes, then it should have been created as a sub-forum of "Dedicated Servers".Then I and you have both our meaningsAnd just because I can't resist...

Why does everyone assume this is simply for managed servers?

There is a such thing as managed HOSTING, and it does not require dedicated servers. :)Originally posted by banner
I'm guessing that it was the "Managed Hosting" forum that was restricted to the "Premium Members"

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
That be the one.

Just setting it up here. If it gets busy, it gets busy. If it doesn't, we move threads into other forums.

From feedback forum...I would consider it "on trial" at this point to see how it progresses.This is good forum!I like the new forum. I think the mods should have actually moved the recent threads from deddicated to here to kickstart things, but that is their choice.Well.....is it for managed dedicated servers, managed vps servers, managed share hosting, all of the above?

I think this needs to be explained as if you allow Rackspace/Datapipe/etc. to be talked about in the same forum as cheap xyz $1.99/month "managed" shared hosting I feel this forum has no use.Originally posted by WO-Jacob

There is a such thing as managed HOSTING, and it does not require dedicated servers. :)

There is such a thing, one thing we currently only do. Its a great business to be in.Agreed. It seems like a waste of space..

I really cannot think of anything that could be posted here that shouldn't be anywhere else unless they just wanted to create a whole forum just for the handful of managed houses which sounds stupid.. Heck there are 25 times as many game server companies on the net how bout a forum for us? At least we don't fit into any current group... ;)Originally posted by WO-Jacob
And just because I can't resist...

Why does everyone assume this is simply for managed servers?

There is a such thing as managed HOSTING, and it does not require dedicated servers. :)

Beat me too it Jacob :)

Honestly, sometimes the amount of ignorance on this forum is scary. I know I'm guilt of posting some odd questions/advice from time to time, but this new forum has brought out some strange assumptions in people.

As stated, Managed Hosting does not neccessarily refer to Managed Servers. In fact, if you ask me, it doesn't refer to them at all. The term actually refers to MANAGED HOSTING.Originally posted by JonRohan
There is such a thing, one thing we currently only do. Its a great business to be in.

Agreed. :)

Originally posted by VanHost

Honestly, sometimes the amount of ignorance on this forum is scary. I know I'm guilt of posting some odd questions/advice from time to time, but this new forum has brought out some strange assumptions in people.

As stated, Managed Hosting does not neccessarily refer to Managed Servers. In fact, if you ask me, it doesn't refer to them at all. The term actually refers to MANAGED HOSTING.

Amen brother, preach on! :DOriginally posted by VanHost

As stated, Managed Hosting does not neccessarily refer to Managed Servers. In fact, if you ask me, it doesn't refer to them at all. The term actually refers to MANAGED HOSTING.

Ok.. How many managed hosting companies exist? I know a few off the top of my head but they all sell dedicated servers too so I don't see the difference..Originally posted by Defcon|Rich
Ok.. How many managed hosting companies exist? I know a few off the top of my head but they all sell dedicated servers too so I don't see the difference..

To me, this question is exactly like saying shared and reseller hosting is the same because most shared hosting companies offer reseller accounts as well.

In reference to your question of the amount of managed hosting companies, this is impossible for anyone to answer. But what you should consider, is that a company can offer both unmanaged and managed "services" in the hosting world. The extent of those management services and what they apply to are at the discretion of the individual company.I guess I'm just trying to figure out what could possibly be discussed in a seperate 'managed' forum that wouldn't fit in anywhere else.. Most question about servers would go in the dedicated forum, Technical questions would go in that forum, If it has to do with a business it could go in the "running a business forums" So what's the point?They may have created the forum to shed light on the fact that Managed Hosting is somewhat of an unknown business model, service, product, etc.

I think the first few posts in this thread might have proven to the mods that it was a good idea, as some appear to be in the dark.Originally posted by VanHost
They may have created the forum to shed light on the fact that Managed Hosting is somewhat of an unknown business model, service, product, etc.

I think the first few posts in this thread might have proven to the mods that it was a good idea, as some appear to be in the dark.

Good point you make without a doubt but it also begs me to ask when someone asked for a Game server forum they were told there aren't enough Game hosters active on the forums to create one. I would assume there are less managed services providers active here? The suggestions forum has several posts asking for a games forum but it was always turned down, But yet a mod posted here saying someone asked for a managed forum and bang here it is. Funny thing is I failed to find even one post asking for a managed forum in the suggestion threads... Maybe I overlooked it somewhere but I usually have pretty good eyes ;)

But, I know that's not up to you. Just a general statement ;)Fair point and one that I can't speak informatively about. I don't spend much time in the suggestions forum, so I wouldn't really know what has been requested and what hasn't. But I certainly see your point.Originally posted by Defcon|Rich
. . . But yet a mod posted here saying someone asked for a managed forum and bang here it is.. . . Which mod was that?

Please point out the post, which I've obviously missed.Since we offer managed hosting I think the new forum is a great ideal. I think it would be a great way to show there is so much more than the run of the mill web hosts out there. I think it would be a good educational forum for those hosts that want to know what's involved with this type of hosting.

I hope it doesn't turn in to a "managed server" forum and it focuses on managed services. They are two distinctly different things.Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
Which mod was that?

Please point out the post, which I've obviously missed.

The post on the first page of this thread by 'Matt'. I see under his name he is listed as "Community Liaison".I agree, it should have been added.I disagree. I think it's completely redundant. Anything that is discussed here could just as easily be totally appropriately addressed in another forum. (Be it, Shared Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Hosting, Resellers, Running a Web Hosting Business, Hosting Software, etc. etc.)We already pretty well cover it... this is just another hole for someone's post to sit unread. But that's my $0.02.:( Bailey