What type of managed hosting is best?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I have an almost completely static HTML site that I manage using Frontpage right now (MySQL databases to come). I definitely need managed hosting, as I have very little knowledge of server management. But I would also like to occasionally ask my host for services like one-time software installation (for instance, an adserver), or to adjust things like the .htaccess file, etc (not sure if this stuff is included in "managed" hosting).

Here's what I know I need:

150+ gb transfer
2+ gb space
cPanel
Webmail
PHP/MySQL
Phone support
Daily backup
99% uptime

Budget:

$100-250/month

Security, uptime, and support are my main priorities.

Considering my budget is fairly decent for the traffic, should I go with shared managed hosting or dedicated managed hosting?What you're asking (in terms of script installation) wouldn't normally be included, but a real managed provider who builds you a custom solution would do that for you (rather than those that offer off the shelf packages).

For what you want, you're looking at the upper end of your budget for a dedicated, remember you want real management too ... that's proactive management where security upgrades are applied before your server gets compromised. In my opinion the companies that provde reactive management are completely useless unless you have a good idea of what you're doing.

You could also go down the shared hosting route on a low-contention package as your site does seem rather large. Although the fee will be considerably less, don't be tempted by any of these super cheap packages, if you want real service and real uptime, you have to pay for it.

Do you have any preference on server location?

DanI would like the server to be located in the US, if for no other reason than direct dial phone support.

What are the advantages of dedicated over shared in my situation? Is dedicated even necessary at this point?

Should I avoid larger "brand-name" web hosts (say, RackSpace or Liquidweb) since I'm looking for a more custom/personalized "managed" solution?What are the advantages of dedicated over shared in my situation? Is dedicated even necessary at this point?

Given your bandwidth requirement, I'd say that dedicated would be, in general, the better choice. Your other requirements (disk space, c-panel, etc) can play equally well on either shared or dedicated. But those are just generalizations. I can see situations where a host would be able to accomodate you on a shared environment. My suggestion is to contact potential hosts and discuss your particulars with them. If anyone claims, without pause, that they can handle your requirements "no problem"...keep looking. What you want is to find a host/manager who will talk about the servers they can offer you, what kind of loads they're currently seeing, how accomodating you on one of their servers would effect that server, things like that.

In other words, find someone with whom you can establish a dialog. Given that your main reason for changing hosts is that you want a more personal level of service, you can look at this exercise as sort of a "test drive" of potential managers. Also, don't rule out companies whose published "packages" don't exactly meet your needs. After all, you're looking for people who are in the business of handling customized requests.

Good luck!What are the advantages of dedicated over shared in my situation? Is dedicated even necessary at this point?

I'd say a dedicated is probably a wise plan if you have the cash to spend. Although you don't need it now, and a basic HTML site is very low resource usage, the large number of visitors and TCP sessions may upset a shared hosting provider. You also have the added security that there isn't someone else on the same server who would possibly take your site down by doing something stupid (running an exploitable script for example).

Should I avoid larger "brand-name" web hosts (say, RackSpace or Liquidweb) since I'm looking for a more custom/personalized "managed" solution?

Considering most big providers have two levels of staff, the people you deal with and the decision makers, you'll probably find they can't offer exactly what you want because the sales people just aren't in the position to make that decision. In which case a smaller company, where you have direct access to senior management would be more appropriate.

Though people like RackSpace do have a great uptime and customer service record, they aren't the only ones in this industry, the others are just less published ;).

DanYou could go with a VPS solution for your needs and find an outside management company that could do the additional work.VPS like Laws said is the best and cost effective way for you.
I have seen sites with 5times this size and >30000 members
that do very well on a VPS.Your real choices would beA great virtual hosting company similar to MediaTempleA VPS or VS company (OS or VMservers)Right now, I’m a proud customer of Sliqua Enterprise Hosting. They give me the same level of service you’re talking about. They’re a small company, but they custom tailor plans, so I’m sure you’ll get what you need. They offer shared and dedicated hosting packages (I think you will probably want a dedicated plan, but they’ll give you their recommendations). If you’re interested, I can give you the email of my account manager there and he can help you out.150+ gb transfer2+ gb spacecPanelWebmailPHP/MySQLPhone supportDaily backup99% uptimethats good but u need fantastico deluxe also ...its very important to setup in one min and without db (sql-phpmyadmin) experion anything u want :)If anything fantastico should be Avoided. It's a terrible addon that doesn't always install scripts right.If anything fantastico should be Avoided. It's a terrible addon that doesn't always install scripts right.

And because the people who have the scripts installed have no idea how to upgrade them to the latest version, it often ends up that they are outdated and present a huge security risk to the website / server ;).

Dan"have no idea how to upgrade them to the latest version.." if the servers admin is nice guy and have all updates for his server so its real easy and without risk for anyone without exp to update anything from c panel by one single click..... The secutity risk i think is when someone without exp try to install anything byself.. regardsFirst of all, if you would read up a little, pointsi said that he had an "almost completely static HTML site"...read absolutely no use for Fantastico. Your desired specs seem on target for your website, although I would recommend a Dedicated server over shared hosting or a VDS, as you might quickly grow out of both. As far as your question about small vs large companies, either would work. Small companies may be able to offer you more attention, but sometimes bigger companies don't have to...it's all dependant on what works best for you.Thanks, btw, to djdrew for the kind words.