What is the best way to build a website?

dt

What is the best way to build a website? I am looking for a good price. I want something clean and simple but nice. I want a forum, blog, photo album, pages for books/ articles/ videos and so on. I also want to be able to change it myself to some degree to add and subtract things. One of the reason I want to buy my own is because I dont want ads on it or labels and I want it to look professional. So where is the best place to get on, a person to make one, and what will cost what like server space and stuff? Should I build it myself?<br />
What about wordpress.org I see that it is free but you have to pay for server space. Is this just as good as a custom site?<br />

swirlys

Thats right much work. I would suggest you build your own. If you want to be able to customize it then you'll will have to be able to code. Check out www.x10hosting.com they have good deals.

luke78

Hi,

I think the best thing for your situation is to utilize Joomla! content management system. It basically works out of the box, but if you would like to customize it, the very least PHP programming language is a must!

I have used Joomla! extensively and modify it according to my clients requirements

Hope this helps, and if you need a website, I may be able to help? You can email me to discuss

Colanth

If you want to build your own, learn HTML, CSS, Javascript, SQL, PHP and AJAX, for starters. Install a web server (and php interpreter and MySQL database) on your computer, so you can develop your site locally (and have a test site to test changes before you upload them to your live site).

If you don't want to spend the time you'll have to spend some money - buying web hosting, at least. That'll run you less than $5/month and about $10/year for the domain name. You can download free forum, blog and other programs, but you will have to learn enough to make them work for you - there's no off-the-shelf custom software, you have to customize ity yourself.

Or you could hire someone to do the work.

Using Wordpress will make your site look like Wordpress. It gives you a blog, but not anything really custom. As good? It works, but you won't have what you have on a custom site - YOUR content YOUR way.

There are many paths to the same goal.

Cazpa

You will be best off using Joomla, it will give you all the features and more plus its free to use.

Joomla.org

Eliran9

you can just buy any domain with hosting, (which you will have to do if you want your website up and running) and use their site builder or scripts and they have choices of all that.. and its all a wizard and its really simple and easy, you should try it... i've been with alot of hosting companies, currently im using justhost.com and its pretty fast and nice, very easy to use, and they have alot of scripts and softwares that you can use. so i dont know, take a look around hosting and what they offer and see whats best for you. hope i helped you =]

DavidH

You ask a great question. The best way to build a website is to use a good site builder program and have a flexible web host.

Since you are looking for a forum, blog and photo album you will definitely want to use a host that offers a cpanel with Fantastico De Luxe.

To find more about all of these things take a look at http//www.vippatron.com

As for wordpress.org, it is a great blog to have. With the forum and photo album you should create a website and attach a blog to it. This is easily done with Fantastico De Luxe learn more about this amazing program at http//www.vippatron.com

mink

get your server space/domain name from godaddy.com --been the cheapest/most reliable since I started doing web design.

Most small web developers will make one for you but you'l have to shell out $500-1000 atleast and it is difficult to communicate with them if you are really looking for a custom page. I think those guys usually make pages for dentists/lawayers/others who are too lazy to learn and dont have much care in how the site looks, as long as it looks professional.

If you want to do it yourself, which I'd recommend because it is a fun project, pick up an HTML book at your local store/library and download Microsoft Frontpage or Adobe Dreamweaver. (There are probably free demos or old versions of these, or you could just purchase the software). HTML is really easy to learn- I learned it when I was 13 or 14 years old building web sites about Nintendo games. They also had you learn it in a 2-week span in one basic freshmen software engineering course that I took a few years ago.

If you wanted someone to do it for ya, I'd do it for a small price. I'm a college kid who is broke and have making sites for fun/small money for years. I can hardcode css/html codes (do em by hand) but now use programs (flash, dreamweaver, etc) to make sites then tweak them by hand. Or you can mail me some beer and I'd help you build it yourself )

chrisxboyle

wordpress 3.0 features can provide and cater all the things you needed for a site..building and managing it is more easy with the the help of plug-ins available..

Nile Hadwards

First of all you need CMS to build a website. The best CMS solutions would be Wordpress, Joomla, and Drupal. However, you will have to code the CSS to integrate it with the above CMS solutions.