What is DNS Addresses

newdz

NS Server Hierarchy
The DNS is a distributed system, meaning that only the 13 root servers contain the complete database of domain names and IP addresses. All other DNS servers are installed at lower levels of the hierarchy and maintain only certain pieces of the overall database.

Most lower level DNS servers are owned by businesses or Internet Service Providers (ISPs). For example, Google maintains various DNS servers around the world that manage the google.com, google.co.uk, and other domains. Your ISP also maintains DNS servers as part of your Internet connection setup.

DNS networking is based on the client / server architecture. Your Web browser functions as a DNS client (also called DNS resolver) and issues requests to your Internet provider's DNS servers when navigating between Web sites.

When a DNS server receives a request not in its database (such as a geographically far away or rarely visited Web site), it temporarily transforms from a server to a DNS client. The server automatically passes that request to another DNS server or up to the next higher level in the DNS hierarchy as needed. Eventually the request arrives at a server that has the matching name and IP address in its database (all the way to the root level if necessary), and the response flows back through the chain of DNS servers to your client.
DNS Servers and Home Networking

Computers on your home network locate a DNS server through the Internet connection setup properties. Providers give their customers the public IP address(es) of primary and backup DNS servers. You can find the current IP addresses of your DNS server configuration via several methods:

on the configuration screens of a home network router

on the TCP/IP connection properties screens in Windows Control Panel (if configured via that method)

from ipconfig or similar command line utility

pinkcat

The DNS (Domain Name System) is a standard technology for managing the names of Web sites and other Internet domains. This technology allows you to type names into your Web browser and your computer to automatically find that address on the Internet.

ofolosz

DNS translates ip addresses into names which are easy read and remember for people. Web servers are ultimately accessed by an I.P. address. When you send a request for a web page that contains a domain name that name has been translated into the I.P. address of the server along the way. There are Domain Name Servers all across the internet that accomplish this task. You set up DNS entries on one server and those setting will propagate across all the other servers around the world. You need to set up at least two different DNS records. One is a "C Name" record (common name). This is to match up your domain (i.e. example.com) with the I.P. address of the server the website files resides on. You also need to set up an "A Name" record (alias name). You set this to point another version of your domain name to what you set up as your C Name. Specifically you need to point your domain name with a "www." to the one without (so that people will get your site no mater how they type your domain name in the address bar). In other words, you use the A Name record to point www.example.com to example.com and then the C Name record points domain.com to the I.P. address of the server .You can check the DNS records like A record,C name record ,MX record,D name,MX records etc.. details at www.whoisxy.com

Nallavan

pinkcat said:
The DNS (Domain Name System) is a standard technology for managing the names of Web sites and other Internet domains. This technology allows you to type names into your Web browser and your computer to automatically find that address on the Internet.

DNS translates ip addresses into names which are easy read and remember for people. Web servers are ultimately accessed by an I.P. address. When you send a request for a web page that contains a domain name that name has been translated into the I.P. address of the server along the way. There are Domain Name Servers all across the internet that accomplish this task. You set up DNS entries on one server and those setting will propagate across all the other servers around the world. You need to set up at least two different DNS records. One is a "C Name" record (common name). This is to match up your domain (i.e. example.com) with the I.P. address of the server the website files resides on. You also need to set up an "A Name" record (alias name). You set this to point another version of your domain name to what you set up as your C Name. Specifically you need to point your domain name with a "www." to the one without (so that people will get your site no mater how they type your domain name in the address bar). In other words, you use the A Name record to point www.example.com to example.com and then the C Name record points domain.com to the I.P. address of the server .You can check the DNS records like A record,C name record ,MX record,D name,MX records etc.. details at http://www.whoisxy.com/dns-query.aspx