What do you guys think? n00b

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there, I just signed up after spending a good bit reading this site. We just signed up for rackspace and i wanted to get an idea of what else was out there. So far i will say that i am very pleased. As a businessman, I know that you ultimately get what you pay for. We have had great response time from RackSpace and a really nice transition from dare i say : GoDaddy. I did some market research, but i would venture to guess that people on here know a lot more about this than i do (i'm the CEO not the CTO at my company). Anyway... we are paying about 635 month (615 for the stuff below and on top of that another 20 bucks or so for Noteworthy) Here are our specs: Red Hat 4.0Full Control via SSHSingle AMD 3200+1 GB DDR RAM2 73GB EIDE RAID1 Priavetenet RackWatch cost: 490/month Firewall:Cisco Pix501 dedicated monitoring updates...so on and so forth 10Mbit Burstable. Network: 1000 GB Outgoing/month connected via 100mb switch and can pus up to 100mb a second. Overage: 3.5 per gb. cost: 125 So how did i do??? We choose to go with MySQL 5.0 instead of 4.0 w/ plesk. Since plesk was 45 bucks a month, i had no trouble passing when i found out there are free alternatives. Is there an industry standard alternative or are we on our own. By the way, i'm sure my CTO can answer all these questions, and has, but he's got better things to worry about than our hosting solution right now. Thanks for your time everyon.Firewall:Cisco Pix501 dedicated monitoring updates...so on and so forth 10Mbit Burstable. Network: 1000 GB Outgoing/month connected via 100mb switch and can pus up to 100mb a second. Overage: 3.5 per gb. cost: 125 The switch may be 100BaseTX but if the 501 is locked at 10Mbit, so is your server :)N/A.It's slightly expensive, but If you have the money, it's great.I'm surprised Rackspace are still using desktop grade hardware when server grade hardware isn't much more expensive. Nevertheless, Rackspace are good at what they do, and I'm sure you'll be happy there. Some may say the price is high, but if you get what you pay for and it brings you money in where downtime would have been more of a problem to you, then it's money well spent.I'm still slightly unsure as to the reason of your post, are you looking to possibly use someone else for future projects? Or just to find out if you made the right move?DanWow, 650.00$ monthly is quite expensive. What's the purpose of the machine at RackSpace. Are you using it for webhosting? How much HD space do you have? It must be quite alot for that kind of price. Anyways, you probably could have got a cheaper server even at those specs (In my opinion). I think 650.00$ is way too much. But hey, if you got that kind of money to spend and you're pleased why change your host? Goodluck!Dan - While I spent some time researching our options, I moved forward with rackspace in part because my tech team needed the equipment in place ASAP in order to allow us to finalize everything by the time we "have" to have the site up and running. I posted a) to see how i did and b) Since we signed a six-month contract, i wanted to see what other options are available to us when that contract expires. Could you speak a little more to the equipment aspect of it as well. Keep in mind we are only paying $490 for the equipment and then extra for the firewall and bandwidth Everhost -We are using it to host a website that is database driven. Per my previous post, we have 2 73 gb eide. Unless i'm missing something, i think that answers your first two questions. If i could have gotten cheaper, could you give me some examples. It's not just about the equipment, it is also about the support we have gotten. Unless there was a significant savings, i would be hard pressed to seriously consider other options. All things being equal however, are there reasonable alternatives? Thanks you guys, i seriously doubt i'll ever be able to "advise" on technical aspects, but i hope to hang around here and see if i can't offer up some advice in other areas. Cheers.Rackspace is good, infact one of the very best. But they charge almsot 2 times the standard price. if thats okay with you, no probs.Something like godaddy, will give you a better server, 2 GB, p4 for less than $150. Its going to be unmanaged, but ig you have a team, it should be okay.You may also consider interland, at almost half the price. They are also pretty good.Its not always a question of getting what you have paid for. rackspace may make you feel like you have made a great choice, but the fact is you will get 99% as good, for 50% less.Up to you, just my 2 cents.You may also consider interland, at almost half the price. They are also pretty good.

Interland's dedicated server division was bought out by Peer1, they are only offering VDSes at Interland it seems now. ;) Just a little FYI.Rackspace is good, infact one of the very best. But they charge almsot 2 times the standard price. if thats okay with you, no probs.Something like godaddy, will give you a better server, 2 GB, p4 for less than $150. Its going to be unmanaged, but ig you have a team, it should be okay.You may also consider interland, at almost half the price. They are also pretty good.Its not always a question of getting what you have paid for. rackspace may make you feel like you have made a great choice, but the fact is you will get 99% as good, for 50% less.Up to you, just my 2 cents.Thanks for the tip. I see what you're saying. Since they were bought do they not offer managed servers anymore????Interland doesn't offer any servers at all. We had to move our machine to Peer1, as sliqua said.