What do I need?

webmasterbeta

Hi guys,

I'll have a site working in a couple of months and I'm looking for a fully managed server. Trouble is, thats all i know, the site is going to be where a member can upload their vids and is a little bit like a social networking site.

Dedicated or shared? bandwidth needs? applications?? costs???:confused:

It makes my head spin, any help would be extremely appreciated.I dono't not what are your traffic projections? If yo uexpect to grow fast it is better to get VPS or Managed server. If you don;t start with shared accouunt.You need to know where you're going to start. Like dawhb said, what are your initial traffic expectations? How many members do you think you'll have at the beginning, how many videos do you think they'll share, and how many people will be on the site downloading? An important consideration would be to ask your host (whoever you decide on) how hard it will be to upgrade to a service they provide. For instance, if you start out with a shared hosting account and grow very quickly, does the host offer VPS or dedicated solutions? If so, do they help you migrate your data over? Switching from services within a host can help minimize downtime, as they have all the information necessary to make your transition smooth.I have been making a number of enquiries about servers already but I seem to be beating on locked doors when it comes to advice from the actual hosts. I was having a word with one of the advisors from liquidweb earlier and they suggested that i took up the enterprise server without even asking about site content.

I like the thought of starting off small though and having a server with a company where I can upgrade to something bigger and better if the site becomes successful.

As for traffic expectations, I guess I have no clue on that, I think I will have to just try it and see. How would I know this anyway??:confused:Do you have actual hits?What is your current measured traffic?It seems like everyone wants to start a "social networking site" these days, but these people have no actual IT experience or knowledge.Do you own the domain? Do you have a team of coders ready? You need people behind your idea before you start. If you have a server placed in a data center somewhere you can always upgrade it.No one seems to have asked the question about your budget - what is it?What kind of marketing are you doing for the launch of your site - ie. is there likely to be a large spike of traffic on your launch day, or are you just gradually going to increase the traffic/marketing.If you are starting off with lots of marketing and are expecting a decent amount of traffic on your launch, then you would probably be best starting with a vps. I would choose a provider that also provides dedicated servers, and can give you an assisted upgrade path - that will make downtime an absolute minimum when upgrading.If you are starting off small, go with shared/reseller hosting (reseller hosting would give you more resources), and do the same thing - monitor things carefully, upgrade slightly before you need to (so as not to annoy your sites users).Most of all, as you are wanting to grow your site/service, talk to your prospective supplier - make sure they can provide you with upgraded packages/systems when needed and see if they will assist you with [email protected], my first post DID say it was not going live for a couple of months so actual hits or current traffic is a no go right there. Also, why would I be asking for server solution advice if I didn't have a site in preparation?

Thanks for the info MS.

My budget is around $200, the plan is to get the site live and then do the marketing, i'll probably post to a lot of forums and do link exchange to build up a bit of exposure, nothing dramatic though because I work long hours as it is and it's just too much for me right now.

I had a website once before based on membership and was using a shared hosting solution but they were quick to halt the site due to too much activity on it. As this site is going to be membership based too, I don't want to experience those problems again.

I am going to go for the option of sticking with the same host and starting off with VPS probably and work my way up because of the downtime going with another host if I need to upgrade, as long as the host has a fully managed solution then i'll be happy.OK, so i have decided to go with a VPS for now, it needs to be a managed server with decent CPU speeds because the video content will be converted to flash on site.

I have a small marketing campaign on the go at the moment so I will be expecting a good volume of traffic when the site goes live (can't be specific about how much right now though).

I DO want to stick with the same company for easy future upgrading to a dedicated server when necessary.

All I know at the moment, is that I am going to need cpanel, the platform is to be Linux, I need about 80GB HDD and a 100mbit port (burstable if possible).

I already own the domain and I have the coders developing the site right now so I am wanting to start running some tests and transferring the data to the server as soon as possible will be a good thing for me.

So, all i need now is the server. Any suggestions? cant see the wood for the tree's right now, soo many choices but there are probably only a handful of great choices to make.Decided to go with a fully managed dedicated server after all.2x Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz2048MB RAMSATA RAID1160GB Primary Hard Drive160GB Second Hard Drive5 IP's 3300GB Bandwidth (Unmetered) 100mbps Port SpeedcPanelThanks for any advice.Unless you absolutely need to, I would avoid cPanel or any other control panel for this. You'll be forced to run versions of software (apache,php,mysql,etc...) that you might want to upgrade and it can cause a huge headache for you if you try to do it with cPanel. Plus you do have the slight overhead of cPanel running too. IMO you'd be better off either installing your software stack on it without the control panel, or if your not comfortable with that find someone to get it setup for you.