Website building question?

Dealbreaker

Me and my friend are trying to set up a video hosting website sort of thing. We want to make it possible for users to make an account and upload there own videos as well as showing our own content. Is this difficult and how much would hosting cost for this sort of thing?<br />

sn0zb0z

You would need to set up a database behind your website which would be difficult, even if you know a fair amount of coding. And that is without adding the ability for members to add their own videos. Web hosting probably wouldn't cost you too much - it depends where you host it and if you have your own domain name. Depending on your knowledge of website coding I'd say it will be somewhere between hard and near-impossible to do yourselves. You could pay for a website designer to build it for you, but that would cost even more

MikeS

The Account bit isn't too hard and can be created using free web sites like free-webs

But as you and your friend would like users to upload their own videos, these files would be of a large size and would require a lot of server space. So you will need to pay for a good host that supplies you with lots of space for video storage.
Good luck with the project.

doumbek

Any cheap hosting you would find would run out of space very quickly.

You need to buy or lease a dedicated server. And not just any plan, you need one that will adequately accept and deploy video files.

The security issues would be paramount. Anyone can take a virus, rename it "file.wmv", upload it to your server, then request the virus via the web to hack you into smithereens.

There's really a lot to this. For a programmer, it may be trivial, but for someone asking this question, the only sound advice one can provide is hook it up with an experienced programmer you can trust and HEED THEIR ADVICE.

Even at that, thousands to set up correctly, a minumum of $100 - $125/month for a dedicated server.

Ull have to pay for domain space based on the space u occupy..
and ull have to pay for Bandwidth used for domain hosting

Now for wat you ull be needing. U have 100 users in ur website and they they together upload average of 2 videos per day. with each video of avg 100mb each.Which amounts to 70GB of web space per year(This could be progressive and u can buy space as u need)

each uploaded video is watched 10 times a day amounts to 1GB of bandwidth .So first month u have 60 videos with you and tat makes the bandwidth usage for 1 month almost 1TB

so for 1 year ull need smthign like 70Gb space and 12TB bandwidth usage so tat website is not taken down. Now check with your domain hosting company for above spec and ull get the cost ..

Cazpa

The simple way would to be to use Joomla, you have no end to what you can do.

I have setup a video site with Joomla (although I have disabled uploads) and it works fine, Joomla is free to use so thats a bonus

At the moment I use about 500mb in bandwidth (without uploads) and the site is about 700mb without allowing space for uploads.

So space and bandwidth is something you will determine from traffic etc

I use Godaddy for my host also... If that helps )))

Check out my site http//ukgarage.tv and see if its what you are looking for.

Good luck

Nile Hadwards

I think it's depends on your website domain and your website design. If you need a perfect result for this than you could check on justhost.com