Updating themes/skins/styles

ozzie2009

Hi all,

I recently updated my forum to 3.8, I now want to update my templates.

If I download a latest version and then upload it will it overwrite all my template edits for that style? Or do I have to upload just certain files that would have been produced by the original designer.

All help would be appreciated as always.

By the way, I had original templates that I purchased from VBskinworks but now apparently are now longer, robbing bitch Brian :p

Error 404

Umm, Template edits / Style Edits are contain emselves in Database. So if you want to Update to 3.8.1 or 3.8.2, go ahead and rewrite all new/required files that are on your FTP. By rewriting the files on FTP, you WILL NOT damage the style, unless different images/image names.

ozzie2009

maybe i am just on the wrong track or not explaining very well.

Please have a quick look at this and maybe it will explain better than what i am :/

PHP:
http://www.forummonkeys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15895

Basically I am using the style designed for 3.6 , 3.7 on my 3.8 board.
In admin CP it is saying this,

Out-of-Date Custom Templates Found!
There are currently 24 customized template(s) that need to be updated or reverted. Some sections of vBulletin may not function if you do not do this!

:)

KillaStaff

the best way for update a skin, look the two files "vbulletin-style.xml" (the 3.8.1 and 3.8.2 for exemple) on install folder, with winmerge

you can view the code added or modified, report all code in your custom skin :)

Error 404

I never cared about those "customized template(s) that need to be updated or reverted".. I got that message, saying that 9 templates need to be updated. On your place, i wouldnt care that much about it..

ozzie2009

KillaStaff said:
the best way for update a skin, look the two files "vbulletin-style.xml" (the 3.8.1 and 3.8.2 for exemple) on install folder, with winmerge

you can view the code added or modified, report all code in your custom skin :)

Ok, i got winmerge but there are a huge amount of difference from 3.6 and 3.8 :(
Think im best leaving it alone hehe

skyrfox

i installed 4 new styles in my forum .But just default appear properly ,the other 4 apear totaly different from the basic default.How can i fix this issue?I am novice in vbulletin and i'm really open to learn more about this beautiful soft

Error 404

skyrfox, in folder ./images/ there should be a folder for each skin. For example if you got skin called "ClearDoc", that means in folder ./images/ there should be a folder called cleardoc, where all the images/separators/icons should be. EVERY SKIN MUST HAVE folder in folder ./images/ , Also i would check the ImagePaths in StyleVars Of Certain Style. I had a look in your forum, and as you have the skin called "ClearDoc", the folder cleardoc is missing on your FTP :) So i guess all the other Image Style Folders missin too ))

And by the way, you just hiJacked somebody's thread =/
Sad, lol.

mmmxiv

heh, i have this:

There are currently 524 customized template(s) that need to be updated or reverted. Some sections of vBulletin may not function if you do not do this!

and my board functions perfectly, don't worry about those mate.

ozzie2009

skyrfox said:
i installed 4 new styles in my forum please see .But just default appear properly ,the other 4 apear totaly different from the basic default.How can i fix this issue?I am novice in vbulletin and i'm really open to learn more about this beautiful soft

It looks like you have not got the images in the correct location. go on Internet explorer, and you will probably see a white box with red cross, this is where the images should be. right click, go properties and find the url of where they should be, then ftp your images to there.

Dont put your url here if you are using illegal copy of VB, as hoxxy says there are spys everywhere ;)

ozzie2009

mmmxiv said:
heh, i have this:

There are currently 524 customized template(s) that need to be updated or reverted. Some sections of vBulletin may not function if you do not do this!

and my board functions perfectly, don't worry about those mate.

lmao 524, i guess then its not really an issue. Thanks for the insight ;)

mmmxiv

Error 404 said:
Holy ~censored~ , thats dope..

But yea, i got only 6 on my board, and all works good, just ignore em ;)

Its still good to fix them, I only have that many because I port and rip alot of skins. Those are all from skins that need porting over to 3.8.2 :)

ozzie2009 said:
lmao 524, i guess then its not really an issue. Thanks for the insight ;)

Yeah, but its still good to get rid of the message in your ACP, anyway, check the vB.com announcement for 'Mandatory Template Changes' and that should help you through it.

ozzie2009

Just an update here.

This is probably a real arsed around way of doing things but for someone who isn't a whizz kid I found this easier.

Ok, I was using Fusion 64 3.6, I updated my board to 3.8.2 and saw that there was a fusion 64 3.8 available.

I didn't want to lose all the edits I had done on my site and quite honestly I couldn't remember what half of them were called.

So to get round this I uploaded 3.8xml to my board but I called it something different. I didnt have to upload the image folder again as there were no differences, well none that i have found as yet.

Ok, I now have 2 styles uploaded to my site but a dragging images from the same folder. I was then able to flick between the two themes and amend the new one as needed. Because I still had the original I was able just to copy the code in my modified templates to the new one.

Like I said at the start this is probably a long winded way of going about it but it worked for me and may be useful to someone else. If you make a mistake you always have the original to fall back on and use as a reference.

Hope this is of use to you.

Cheers

Oz