Shifting to Sybase or uDB2?

cooldude007

Hi All,<br />
I have been working in Software Industry since 7 years now. I had worked mostly on Database programming and designing which includes SQL Server and Oracle. <br />
<br />
Now, I am getting break in IT department of very big Financial company. I had already cleared all technical interviews. Problem is that, this company has neither SQL Server nor Oracle. It has Sybase and uDB2 under Linux.<br />
<br />
I don't know what is the demand for these dabases and what will be the carrier prospects after working on these technologies. I will get good raise in my salary, no doubt about that, but is it worth shifting to these technologies?<br />
<br />
Please give me some openion.<br />
<br />
Many Thanks<br />

JQT

There is no question that neither Sybase and uDB2 has the market share as SQL Server and Oracle. I would ventures to say that Sybase and DB2 has combined 1/20th of Oracle. You can easily get an estimation base on the current market by going to any job board and type in the key words.

Other things to consider
Software developers and DBAs working for system users are generally less appreciated than if working for development companies. For instance, DBA is considered as back-office support for a financial company where as you were profit generating for a software company. If you are seriously considering the job, negotiate a bonus based on the company performance. After all, the financial managers are getting big bonuses at year-end and they couldn't have done without IT support.

Another effect of DBA not being a profit center for a financial company, they will not as proactively providing technical trainings to keep your skills up to date. Unless they are sort of being forced into upgrading their systems, once everything is up and running the general IT architecture will be left along for years. Hence you wouldn't need any training. You can try negotiate allowance to attend certain number of professional conferences, reimbursement for trade publications, memberships etc. And remember to be really proactively keeping your skills fresh.

Best wishes.