Server Management , no Control Panel

webmasterbeta

In going through lots of threads I see server management companies who will only accept X control panel, etc .. and it makes we wonder:

1 - Why?

2 - What about a server with no Control panel?

Looks like a server with no panel would save somewhere like 1/3 - 2/3 of costs of server management .. and saves some precious RAM as a bonus .. or maybe lets one buy a server with less RAM?

Maybe a combination of both completely offsets the server management fee?

I can use SSH to do some of the stuff others use a panel for .. and probably other folks could as well. But I can't do the hardening, handle DNS problems .. I wouldn't want to install an upgrade ..

FYI, I'm not a host .. except maybe for an evil spirit or two.;)

Answers? Comments?In going through lots of threads I see server management companies who will only accept X control panel, etc .. and it makes we wonder:1 - Why?2 - What about a server with no Control panel?Looks like a server with no panel would save somewhere like 1/3 - 2/3 of costs of server management .. and saves some precious RAM as a bonus .. or maybe lets one buy a server with less RAM? Maybe a combination of both completely offsets the server management fee?I can use SSH to do some of the stuff others use a panel for .. and probably other folks could as well. But I can't do the hardening, handle DNS problems .. I wouldn't want to install an upgrade ..FYI, I'm not a host .. except maybe for an evil spirit or two.;) Answers? Comments?Most companies employ staff and of course the less experienced the lesser the pay.A support staff will definitely find it easier to install things via WHM rather than through SSH.Um .. I think I should be skeptical of a professional server management company with staff that need a control panel. Just my Bt 1 ..Um .. I think I should be skeptical of a professional server management company with staff that need a control panel. Just my Bt 1 ..I agree. But they obviously have a niche somewhere.Um .. I think I should be skeptical of a professional server management company with staff that need a control panel. Just my Bt 1 ..They can blame the control panel if anything goes wrong :)No server management folks want to comment?No server management folks want to comment?What about using the "SEARCH" feature in WHT? ;)Very few companies does that as it makes their work a lot easier :pSeeksadmin is one of the few who does <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="ithttp://seeksadmin.com/v2/server-services/server-administration-management/I">ithttp://seeksadmin.com/v2/server-servi ... nagement/I</a><!-- m --> dont see why a server management company would not support a server with no control panel thats ridiculous and I would shy away from any of them who do this, they obviously dont know the "ins and outs" of the linux OS.What about using the "SEARCH" feature in WHT? ;)
Um .. what would YOU search for? Perhaps .. "we don't do server admin for servers without control panels" ..?:confused:

How many hits would you predict?I dont see why a server management company would not support a server with no control panel thats ridiculous and I would shy away from any of them who do this, they obviously dont know the "ins and outs" of the linux OS.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

<sarcasm>
Maybe the others can use a catch phrase like, "We know which buttons to push!"
</sarcasm>Very few companies does that as it makes their work a lot easier :p

Seeksadmin is one of the few who does it
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://seeksadmin.com/v2/server-services/server-administration-management/">http://seeksadmin.com/v2/server-service ... anagement/</a><!-- m -->

Yes, but it seems they charge an extra $20 .. which sort of negates the price advantage of going sans control panel.

Another oddity, IMO, that a Direct Admin control panel costs more to have them administer than a CPanel.:confused:I think one of the issues is, even if a tech knew everything about servers, a control panel makes the work easier, so companies who do management without panels would have to have a separate price for that due to the additional work involved.Control panels basically dumb down system administration...atleast thats what people think, in the end they can end up causing more trouble than not having one.I don't know .. maybe the admin people can hire less qualified techs if the customer has a CPanel.

But it also seems like a much better tech could diagnose problems much faster .. hence as cheap or cheaper in the long run..

For my existing managed server, one particular support tech seems to find the problem right away and fix it quickly. Other techs provide varying results.

Just recently, a tech fixed the wrong problem .. old problem still existed. The real fix took 2 days.

In my previous business, a top mechanic was paid about 3x that of a semi skilled "machine operator". But they could generally do a job 3x faster. The exception was when assigned a repetitive and tedious task ..

.. I often heard screams of anguished frustration echoing around the shop, often accompanied by the crash of metal objects against the concrete walls.;)I dont see why a server management company would not support a server with no control panel thats ridiculous and I would shy away from any of them who do this, they obviously dont know the "ins and outs" of the linux OS.

The above is the very reason that they don't work without control panels for the majority.

Obviously that's not exclusive to everyone as some may specfically target a control panel user base.