Server Management Co's..

webmasterbeta

Are there any 3rd party server management co's that are *truly* reliable?From the advice many large hosts have given me, I should keep all management in house because 3rd party's aren't dedicated to your company, they have possibly hundreds of servers to manage..Any thoughts guys?Hey,I suggest ServerSupportGuys.com .. but do a search around forums you will find lots of lots of good posts!-Gd luckHello, You should try to Search some forum's, You will find some same relative issues.getting your own in house 24x7x365 would obviously be much better than any 3rd party support, but there's no way anyone can ever afford round the clock sysadmins for just one server, or even just for a few servers theres really no comparison between inhouse and 3rd party.obviously if you have enough servers to make it cost effective to afford your own team then that would be best. if you have a few servers then 3rd party is really the only possible choise you have I have a few servers and i use platinumservermanagement and they are excellent, they are cheap and give me a lot more than i pay for lol. there support and response times are good and fast, I really cant ask for anything else. you can seach around the forums too and find a lot of reviews on all the support companies out thereReally im wondering if there's any (reputable) co's that have an admin-to-server contention type deal.. so im absolutely assured my corporate reputation is in safe hands. even if it costs more.ie. one admin, 10 servers. something like that.Not sure about that, but I would rather go with a company that has direct access to the servers like LiquidWeb or RackSpace than a server management company.

If you still want to go with a management company I recommend Rack911 and SeekAdminsNot sure about that, but I would rather go with a company that has direct access to the servers like LiquidWeb or RackSpace than a server management company.

If you still want to go with a management company I recommend Rack911 and SeekAdmins*Seeksadmin ;)we have a lot of customers that use platinum server management with good luckI currently have my own servers with LOM.. Everything but the physical hardware is remotely accessible.I currently have my own servers with LOM.. Everything but the physical hardware is remotely accessible.

And that is related to this thread how?Not sure about that, but I would rather go with a company that has direct access to the servers like LiquidWeb or RackSpace than a server management company.If it's not actually their hardware, I don't see the difference in having LOM remote access or physically having access for software management.Being truly realiable is kind of a broad requirement. It depends on how you define reliability. At any rate, 3rd party server management companies will do great things for you at one point and then definitely fail you miserably in some areas of your server management requirements. And this is where your definition of reliability comes into play. While it may be true that an in-house management team is probably better, the costs involved may be not worth as others in this thread have pointed out, especially if you are just starting out. For me, the only true reliable admin who will really care for your servers and business is yourself. Goodluck with your search.From the advice many large hosts have given me, I should keep all management in house because 3rd party's aren't dedicated to your company, they have possibly hundreds of servers to manage..

While that may be true, most "managed" hosting companies are working on tons of boxes anyways... Anyone quoting flat-rate consulting better give you a good overview of what you get for that, and how many hours you really get.At any rate, 3rd party server management companies will do great things for you at one point and then definitely fail you miserably in some areas of your server management requirements. And this is where your definition of reliability comes into play.

As I understand it you're considering 'in house' as being server management from the data center versus third party. I'd say that the above quote applies to both of these situations. Data center support does have the advantage of being able to do a manual reboot if SSH is down, where 3rd party support will need to contact the data center for a manual re-boot. That may be the only difference between them. If you soley go with data center support and they fail, then you'll end up going to a 3rd party support provider to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, at that point things have already gone bad and you're in a rush to get it resolved. If you go with a 3rd party support provider initially, you can see their weak points and if necessary create an hourly support ticket with your datacenter when needed.PSM are excellent, they've NEVER let me downHaving hundreds of servers to manage they will likely offer true 24x7 support because they will afford to pay more support engineers and other staff needed on each shift while will keep the price down.You have to look on your budget too, as you cannot expect the same level of satisfaction for a 30$ service like you would expect for a 100$ one.Managing 100 servers vs 10 servers is only marginally harder if you do it right.
Standardizing some configs, disallowing certain crappy software, and close monitoring help small shops exist.

I have absolutely deferred gigs where they run a horrible config, getting migrated to something proper is always cheaper in the long term anyways, nevermind more reliable.If you are going to go with a third party server management service, I would make sure they are accountable if they make a big mistake or two and cost you and your company it's reputation.Stay away from seeksadmin, these have the worst techs and the slowest response. I have a ticket now open for 2 days without response (before the responses were non-related and did not help me at all). I'm probably going to go with serversupportguys.com.