S.M.A.R.T short self test fails? how do i fix it?

JorrdynK

i came home a couple days ago to my computer screen saying"disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter."<br />
i dont have the system disk.<br />
<br />
later i used the Hardware<br />
Diagnostics Tool application and then did the system test.<br />
it said...<br />
failed S.M.A.R.T short self test<br />
error code HD521-2W<br />
<br />
i cant sign onto my computer name or see anything for that matter besides the start up page that has the "press F10 for system recovery" stuff on it. <br />
<br />
i cant do a system recovery. i have several new files of pictures i CANT lose. sadly i didn't have time to put them on my ebook as backup before this all happen.<br />
im a photographer and there client pictures. <br />
<br />
i cant wipe anything clean and i cant get a new hard drive (ppl have told me that might be the answer) everything NEEDS to stay on.<br />
<br />
PLEASE! if you have any info than might help me tell me.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

jman3451

considering that you have client pics on ur hard drive i'd consider taking it to geeksquad and having them take a look at it

you'd be able to probably write it off as a business expense too (either w/ clients or IRS)

SvenB

Get a new Hard Drive. A SMART failure is indicative of an impending total disk failure. When you get the new drive, you might be able to clone the failing one, if the data is still good. A system recovery is useless because this is a physical - rather than a software problem. Don't play around with the drive like attempting a system recovery or repeated reboots because if the drive is still cloneable, you'll ruin it for good.

SeanO

System Recovery is not what you want, do not attempt it. The drive is shot. You may still be able to salvage the data off of it, though. Put the drive in another computer, run a data recovery program, and dump as much data as you can on to a new drive (of equal or greater size), hopefully it will save the files you need.
You may be able to just copy the files through the operating system of the other computer without a data recovery program, just do it fast. Do not leave that drive running. The longer it's on, the worse it gets and the more potential data loss you have. Keep that computer off until you're ready to salvage the data.
Don't forget to back up important stuff!
check out www.Adrive.com