Protecting yourself from Jelsoft

Grinderhand

No guarantee whatsoever. If you get reported to Jelsoft and they come to your site, which will not be in their list of licensed sites, you WILL get an email from them. If you don't respond by taking your site down, they will then send an email to your host and if you're not hosted offshore, your host will most likely close your site. I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but that's the way it is. The measures taken in this thread will protect you from Jelsoft bots or from them accessing your site from their own servers. They can always use a proxy if they really want to.

ananas7777

thx alot for these great infos.
i have a small question then
what is your recommendations to use from free software?
i knew about smf & phpbb & mybb
i need the best one that support alot of mods in it like vb

saram1805

If your forum is going to be popular enough to attract Jelsoft's glare, $80 per year is nothing. Even the smallest of the small communities can gather $80 per year.

Alternatively, just host it offshore. I've been running a huge forum from Panama for years now and my hosts have responded to Jelsoft's whining with total indifference.

dark_hunter

Guys, you do know if they get a pirate report, and they go to your site and they get a Forbidden message (See quote) then they will think you really have something to hide!!!

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.