Please Help! Looking for Managed Server, any experiences?

wxdqz

I am planning on migrating a company's website but dont know where to begin the process. I inherited this project so I'm new to this.

Currently, its being hosted on a Linux server with Plesk 8.0. My experience has been with cPanel and I'd much prefer to go that route. The site runs a Joomla CMS which was targeted a few times from hackers. One time someone had put a DVD movie file in a folder and basically wiped out the bandwidth. The server company did catch it and locked the offending folder.

I'm looking for a company that could help me in the server admin of a dedicated server. I did not originally build the crappy site, so I would make sure my software was up to date and not get these issues currently on the site now.

What hosting company out there would you recommend from experience? Currently the site is with Fastservers.net. Any opinions on them?

I want a site that is hardened with regular security updates. Can I get anything that can beat $300/mo.?

I need cPanel and LAMP, but is it possible to get Windows and Linux should we decide to switch from PHP to ASP? Does any host provide this ability?

If anyone reads this, please reply as soon as possible as I have only a few days to give the owner some options.

I'd prefer recommendations of companies that are close to California.

Thanks in advance!
bobYou will not find anyone that is going to offer you management, coding, website management, script updates for $300/month.

Infact to recode your entire scripts from php to asp would take some coding and would be a hell of alot more than $300 and would be done by a coder, there is no "magic" conversion script.

You should make your mind up as to what exactly you are going to be using and this in turn will help you choose the correct management company for you. If you are infact looking for site management to that would have to be provided elsewhere as it's simply not cost effective for any company offering management to keep visiting all of your websites to then upgrade any software+addons that are provided with them(In this case Joomla).

The website script upgrading would be down to you, the site owner, to do and you could hire a third party however I would ask your management company if they keep updated with mod_security rulesets, generally any management company that does infact do regular audits of their mod_security ruleset and stays on top of newly released exploits will have a better chance in blocking exploits for your specific CMS, I must state though that, even though the attacks can be blocked, your software is still vulnerable and should be upgraded immediately to prevent these situations.

I would advise investigating from your management company on how they monitor your server, do they log remotely? Do they log for any malicious activity(Such as IRC, which is a good indication that theres a vulnerable script and could possibly have picked up what generally serves the movie file problem you had previously). It would be best to pickup a list of questions to ask each management company and then make your decision from there(It might also be worthwhile putting what they say to the test before you use the server as your primary).

Last by not least, fastservers - Their management is pretty good on all accounts and they are a solid company. I have not had much experience with fully testing their management as I have never required to but from what i've seen so far they are an excellent company.

Good luck with your search.

-ScottLike Scott said, no one will fix your website so that would be something you will need to look into as separate issue.

The company that I recommend for managed dedicated servers (Windows or Unix) is LiquidWeb, I have had excelent experience with them.Get a regular dedicated server and go with a 3rd party management company-- I recommend Servaxnet.com they saved my butt yesterday.well,Scott.Mc is true...it is extremely difficult to get what you are demandingi suggest you should get yourself a dedicated server, and pick up a newbie from this forum who has some knowledge about all this and assign the task to himi doubt if he will charge more than $100well,
Scott.Mc is true...
it is extremely difficult to get what you are demanding
i suggest you should get yourself a dedicated server, and pick up a newbie from this forum who has some knowledge about all this and assign the task to him
i doubt if he will charge more than $100

That's a sure way to ask for problems. Besides, paying for someone else's education wasn't in original poster's question :)rbwire We're on the opposite coast, so don't take this as a PR :)Our company has done a number of web sites using Joomla/Mambo and it's been a very stable and reliable platform. Of course you must apply patches and update scripts. Keeping up with latest vulnerabilities is a must, but you can easily subscribe to SecurityFocus and get your rear covered on that side as well. Taking care of the suit isn't exactly rocket science, the system is very friendly and once you've taken your time with - very easy to get around. They have great user forums in case you need assistance, and I'm sure you will be able to find freelancers willing to help you out there. Make sure you visit Joomla Forum FAQ (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forum.joomla.org/index.php?board=49.0">http://forum.joomla.org/index.php?board=49.0</a><!-- m -->), especially their security topics.Speaking from experience - converting web site from one technology to another is cumbersome, painful and very frustrating experience. We've done several conversions from ColdFusion to PHP/mySQL and it's been nothing but pain as we struggled to keep existing database but provide better and scalable functionality. So if you actually set your mind on migrating - make sure you have time and budget, especially when going to higher priced market of Windows/ASP/.NET.Hope this clears things up a bit.