Nigeria Scams. This article is a bit lengthy but worth the read. Your thoughts?

kooties_2000

http//www.consumeraffairs.com/scam_alerts/nigeria.html<br />
After reading this article, even though she's a victim, she's not. I believe she let her "greed" get the best of her and it landed her in a very compromising position. I feel bad for her but "some things in life aren't exactly free." Especially when it comes to money. <br />
My logic is faulty? Really? So personal accountability doesn't factor into this equation of a mess that she got herself into? ( o _ 0 ) "The best way to avoid being a victim? Don't expect to get something for nothing, don't send money to strangers in foreign countries."<br />
<br />
Why would anyone send money to a "total stranger" in a "foreign" country?!<br />
Please explain this to me if you can? If you do choose to send money to a stranger in a foreign country, know that you're doing so at your own risk. She's just a guilty. It's called greed and unfortunately for her, she lost more than she tried to gain. It's very unfortunate for her. The victim but she shares part of the responsibility. It's called "accountability."<br />
Ok. If you must, she's a "victim." A victim of her own greed. Don't think I'm not being empathetic. I feel for her. I really do. Ok. Case in point. The year is now 2005. I received a letter originating from Canada. According to this particular company, I had won a large sum of money in the Canadian lottery. I was instructed to contact them ASAP with my name, address, phone number, Social Security Number for verification, and bank routing number so that my winnings would be deposited into my account. Ok. Having said all of that, you figure it out for youself. Scam or no scam. Especially when I've never been to Canada. How did I win a lottery from Canada? ( ^ _ ^ )<br />

GummyBear

OK, I feel bad for her. At the same time people need to look out for themselves. There are wolves out there and the internet makes those wolves sit right at our door steps. Why would she then re-deposit another check AGAIN!!!! Why didnt she ask her bank. That is just silly.

cannonball

Your logic is messed up. Blaming someone for getting scammed is like blaming a victim in any other type of crime. It's not like the person went out of their way to get scammed. Someone had to go out of their way to scam her. They contacted her first. They preyed on her. That's wrong. The scammers should be punished. Not the person who got scammed. The Nigerian government is now trying to use the same messed up logic you're using. Instead of really doing something about the problem, they're blaming the people who get scammed. That's pathetic. They're trying to pass the guilt off on international victims rather than enforce the laws in their own country.

stagnant_now

I think that she is a victim. Although she was being greedy, didnt seek outside advice regarding the claim, didnt stop complaining, didnt give up on the bank and seek a private credit protection program's assistance, she was a victim.

AvanA

I agree with cannonball. I have read that the Nigeria's 419 scam has its origin in oil companies and organized gangs. If that be true imagine how well it would have been planned and played so as to look genuine?

Nigerian scams have grown to such enormous proportions that there are operators selling them to others for a fee (evident from the same letter we get from different sources). Nigerian scammers have moved into neighboring Benin, Gambia, Ghana etc and are operating as locals which gives the countries a bad name.

EricH

All scams are based on 2 things - greed and stupidity.

In a sense, the victim traps themselves, by thinking they're going to be filthy rich for "just breaking a law a little bit" or taking advantage of someone else's mistake.

They never think that;

Nobody is going to trust a perfect stranger with $40 MILLION.
Nobody hires an agent for their company at ridiculous salaries unless that person has established credentials.
Nobody awards a lottery win to someone that never entered the contest.

They just go ahead and plunk their money down.

In the same breath, I have to say that there are some really good scams out there - it's tough to figure the scam out and I can see how people desperate for money could think the scam's legit.